Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - Nicola Kirkland
Hi I’m looking to buy a Nissan Micra K12 model. I’ve found a 2005 which has 12 months MOT and it’s a 1.2. Only advisories were that the offside rear tyre is worn close to limit so will need replacing, the offside front wheel bearing has slight play and the front bumper mountings are corroded but not likely to become detached.

The bumper itself is pretty tatty which is reflected in price I think. My question is will this be expensive to fix? I.e possibly replacing the full bumper. If the MOT said that is it still likely to fall off?

Also is the front wheel bearing expensive to sort?

Thanks in advance
Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - elekie&a/c doctor
Front bearing I would guess at about £100 job . Bumper will need to be sourced s/hand , then you have the cost of fitting . Get a quote from your local garage for work needed.
Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - Cris_on_the_gas

Pattern front wheel bearing kit £40. If you're good with the spanners then I'd DIY. Otherwise reckon a couple of hours labour

New aftermarket bumper £70, plus cost of spraying.

But it's a 15 year old car I'd just sort out the tyre and wheel bearing, just make sure the bumper won't detach by putting in an extra bracket or bolts in the right place

Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - edlithgow

Pattern front wheel bearing kit £40. If you're good with the spanners then I'd DIY. Otherwise reckon a couple of hours labour

New aftermarket bumper £70, plus cost of spraying.

But it's a 15 year old car I'd just sort out the tyre and wheel bearing, just make sure the bumper won't detach by putting in an extra bracket or bolts in the right place

And/or OIL IT. This will significantly prolong its remaining life, assuming there is a significant amount of metal remaining.

If you apply vegetable oil (say with an old tooth brush if there is access) when its dry it'll be fairly persistent. Do it again in the spring.

Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - Andrew-T

If the bumper is merely 'tatty' but otherwise intact and the right shape, a bodyshop should fill any gashes and give it a good finish. Getting the old one off the car may weaken those rusty mountings.

Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - thunderbird

If the bumper is merely 'tatty' but otherwise intact and the right shape, a bodyshop should fill any gashes and give it a good finish. Getting the old one off the car may weaken those rusty mountings.

Surely the bumper on a 15 year old car is just the plastic skin that makes the car pretty. The real strength is in the stiffener (I think that is what its called) that is bolted to the main body structure and is designed to take all the impact.

The skin is only held on by tiny bolts and clips and I doubt removing them would cause any weakening. But getting new ones back in may be a challenge if the old treads have rusted away.

Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - Andrew-T

<< The skin is only held on by tiny bolts and clips and I doubt removing them would cause any weakening. But getting new ones back in may be a challenge if the old treads have rusted away. >>

Not the Pug ones I have played with, but Micras may be different.

Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - edlithgow

I thought bumpers were for bumping.

In such a context, "good finish" and, even more "bodyshop" seem innapropriate terms.

But there's nowt so queer as folk.

<< I thought bumpers were for bumping. In such a context, "good finish" and, even more "bodyshop" seem innapropriate terms. >>

No, you're out of date, Ed. 'Bumpers' are part of the cosmetic appearance of a modern car - not quite bling, but definitely part of the image. That being so, they have to be looked after :-)

Nissan Micra K12 2005 model - Buying advice re front bumper & replacement - Cris_on_the_gas

No, you're out of date, Ed. 'Bumpers' are part of the cosmetic appearance of a modern car - not quite bling, but definitely part of the image. That being so, they have to be looked after :-)

Does a 15 year old Nissan Micra have a "cosmetic appearance" ?

Does a 15 year old Nissan Micra have a "cosmetic appearance" ?

Probably not, but the principle still applies ... :-)