Driver smashed my already half functioning mirror - John Fesolly

My passenger side mirror had an issue with the mechanism and wouldn't stay straight without tape. Now a car smashed into it and completely knocked it off. They smashed the mirror glass aswell. Hit and run, but I have a witness with VRN.

Witness says that perpetrator took picture of damage and drove off, so presumably some tape will be visible.

My question is what am I entitled to as far as claiming from their insurance? Can they say that since there was tape I should have to prove somehow that level of damage or else they refuse to pay?

Driver smashed my already half functioning mirror - focussed

Easy - report the driver to the police for failing to stop and exchange details. He has already admitted he did the damage by stopping and taking a picture of the damage he did.

Also, don't forget to report it to your insurance company in the normal way.

Driver smashed my already half functioning mirror - gordonbennet

It might not be a case of hit and run, depending on the circs and no one was about who claimed to own the vehicle or know the vehicle's owner personally, however in such circs i would have left a note with contact details under the wiper blade...could the chap have done so and either the note was blown away or removed by someone else?

Either way, it's an insurance claim assuming your witness will give a statement unless the chap turns up out of the blue shortly with £ notes in his sweaty mitt to sort the job out.

Driver smashed my already half functioning mirror - HGV ~ P Valentine

Hi, The police wont get involved even though it is a hit and run, they would if someone got hurt, but otherwise they wont consider it serious enough to " waste their time with ", I have been here before.

They will tell you to report it to your insurance as a hit and run or repair it yourself.

Driver smashed my already half functioning mirror - R.Turpin

If a person has an accident they have to exchange details with the other party. If they can't do so, they are obliged to report the accident to a police station AS SOON AS REASONABLY PRACTICABLE and in any case within 24 hours. If they fail to do that they commit an offence which carries 5-10 points (and theoretically prison). The police will prosecute if they are provided with reliable evidence. In your case, it's only a mirror that was already broken and you are not a witness, your friend is the only witness. I think on this occasion I would agree with Driver since 1988 but with less certainty than he professes.

As far as what compensation you are entitled to, it is negligence, so you are entitled to be put back in the position you would have been in had the negligent act not occurred.

In other words a deduction for the fact your mirror was already broken.

Your insurance would record your claim, even though not your fault.

Sorry. Forget it. Fix it yourself.