2004 Honda Jazz CVT 1.4 - Glitch under load - Surreydriver

Hello, please can you help? Wifes car. Owned from 6 months old. 100k miles. Has been stone reliable, except when a main dealership damaged the fuel pressure sensor on a major service. I do annual oil and filter changes etc. I renewed both banks of spark plugs two years ago (Back 4 looked like they had never been changed !). Runs well. Indicated average 45+MPG on short run normal use. Just recently it started suffering with a "glitch" on light/medium load between 1500-2000 rpms. It is exactly like momentarily switching the ignotion off and then back on. It only seems to do it in "normal" CVT mode. Not in 7 speed or manual mode. I have removed and cleaned (overnight in brake cleaner ) the EGR valve. No difference. Runs as usual before and after the event. Any ideas please? Thanks for reading. James.

2004 Honda Jazz CVT 1.4 - Glitch under load - Oli rag

This could be a gearbox problem as it occurs when you're in full auto mode. I understand that a fluid change on these boxes is needed to stop problems happening. Not sure on how often it's supposed to be changed, but would guess yours is well overdue.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this will be along soon.

Thanks. Good idea re gearbox. I changed the CVT fluid about 5 years ago. Seemed slightly smoother to drive afterwards if IIRC. I am wondering if there is a "sensor" or other electrical link between the gearbox and the engine ECU(?) that could be causing the problem.

2004 Honda Jazz CVT 1.4 - Glitch under load - Bolt

Thanks. Good idea re gearbox. I changed the CVT fluid about 5 years ago. Seemed slightly smoother to drive afterwards if IIRC. I am wondering if there is a "sensor" or other electrical link between the gearbox and the engine ECU(?) that could be causing the problem.

I maybe wrong, but after the 50k fluid change it should be changed at 37k miles, as for sensors not sure if this helps but gather the speed sensor can cause that under load as it happened to a friend

www.google.com/search?q=honda+jazz+cvt+gearbox+sen...1

Thank you! I really appreciate you posting that. I will see if my "parts" man at local Honda dealer can provide ( Ive known him since spending half my life there running BL cars in the 80s ! ) and get my local indie to fit them ( pardon the pun if you are American ). I think you are correct re the CVT fluid. I remember we insisted they change it about two years into ownership. Lately the car seemed jerky to drive (I dont use it much) but I put that down to the EGR valve ( which also got replaced under warranty ) misbehaving. Car is only being used to warm it up occasionally ATM. I will report back in due course how it goes. Thanks again.

Part is priced at between £116 and £128 each. Is there a way to test in situ before committingto this kind of repair by replacement? On a ramp I am guessing an hours labour to change both. I use a digi multimeter , but my electrical knowledge is sadly very basic. Thanks.

2004 Honda Jazz CVT 1.4 - Glitch under load - elekie&a/c doctor
Why do you want to change the sensors ? You will need to check their operation through the diagnostic system. Really doubt if there is any fault here, they are all used whatever mode the gearbox is selected. I would go with an oil change first.

FWIW, I changed the CVT fluid. No change. Then one day the car had a sustained misfire rather that the momentary stumble. I did some more research on line and found this. I removed both banks of plugs ( rear were, as expected , very sooty ) and renewed, but with gaps set to .8mm rather than the 1.1mm specified. Car has run like a train since. Pulls hard in any gearbox setting and is now quite fun to drive...YMMV.