SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - zacepi

Hi all,

2010 Leon 1.6 Ecomotive 5dr.

My windscreen is absolutely soaking and when it's icy outside it's also thick ice on the inside. So water must be getting in somewhere, but I can't see where. I have 2 water absorbing boxes inside that get full - like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSIO-Interior-Dehumidifier-Condensation-Dehumidifiers/dp/B01C6V5IVG but they don't help much.

If I wash the car, I don't see any water on the seals or getting in. Carpet doesn't seem wet.

Any idea how I can tell where the water is coming in? Saw Edd on wheeler dealers with a smoke machine device that was great as it immediately showed him which seal had failed. Are these standard in garages?

Any tips welcome

SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - madf

Drain holes under bonnet blocked by leaves?

SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - Andrew-T

At this time of year moisture will condense on any surface as it cools from sunset onwards. People in cars breathe, wear damp clothing and wet shoes, so humidity inside a car (usually with the windows shut) will be high. Modern screens are steeply raked and seem to offer the most effective surface for overnight condensation. My screen has started to mist up just now (4:30) and the car also has no known leaks.

Clearing it in the morning is a problem if ice has formed. Use the aircon to try to dry out the interior. Damp may have accumulated in the carpets?

SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - bathtub tom

Heating and ventilation set to fresh air or re-circulate?

SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - Halmerend
Any water in the boot well under the spare wheel?
SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - jc2

How long are your journeys?

SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - zacepi

How long are your journeys?

Generally very short

SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - galileo

If your heating/demist is set on recirculate this almost guarantees heavy condensation in cold weather. Set it to fresh air, ensure the intake grill is clear of leaves etc, if your journeys are so short it never gets really hot, try taking it for a longer run to dry the heater system and vents properly.

If the carpets are wet or damp, they need to be dried, if easy to remove, take them out, if not, and you have a garage with power supply, hairdryer or fan-heater would help (don't leave unattended though!)

SEAT Leon Ecomotive 1.5Tdi 2010 - Windscreen soaking wet - must be a leak - galileo

DP

Edited by galileo on 11/12/2019 at 15:15

DP

Thought I knew most forum slang but obviously not......what is DP?

DP

Thought I knew most forum slang but obviously not......what is DP?

Double Post