Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Courtney777

We have just had the cat converter stolen from our 03 Honda Jazz. After much discussion, we have decided to look for a replacement vehicle. But are any cars safe from this type of vandalism?

We primarily used the Jazz for local short commutes, hauling stuff to and from the allotment and taking green waste to the tip. As avid gardeners, we loved the space the Jazz provided as well as the magic seats.

We’d love any suggestions for ultra reliable cars with amazing boot space that won’t fall prey to another theft. We don’t have room to put two cars in the garage and we both work for the NHS. Thieves are targeting hospital car parks and we can’t afford to keep donating cat converters to these people. Thanks!

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - snufflegrunt

The more modern cars seem to have them hidden right up near the engine so they warm up quicker. It would be easier to see what car you want and then check on google image search where the catalyst is located.
How much is a new cat?
If you are happy with the car, just get a new cat, but get the exhaust fitter to tag weld the nuts so they can't be undone. If you are worried it may happen again, get this done on your new car.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Xileno

I assume they are targeting cars where the cat price is highest, hence these menaces can get the best price for yours. Maybe choose a car where the cat replacement is cheaper, a Ford or Vauxhall perhaps?

They are after the metals in the converter: palladium, platinum and rhodium. I think they are going for easy pickings right now and seem to be targeting older Honda Jazz, Accords, Toyota Prius and a few others. I have tried googling the location of the newer Jazz converters but not having much luck.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - madf

They are after the metals in the converter: palladium, platinum and rhodium. I think they are going for easy pickings right now and seem to be targeting older Honda Jazz, Accords, Toyota Prius and a few others. I have tried googling the location of the newer Jazz converters but not having much luck.

On my 2012 Jazz the cat is close to the cycinder head - not part of the exhaust manifold.. but inaccessible from below..(the engine tray hides it and there is s a sub frame as well..)

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - KB.

I'd have thought there were enough pros and cons to consider when choosing what car suits you best without basing the decision on how easy it is to nick the CAT.

Regarding welding the nuts, do they not just take a portable grinder to the pipe either side of the CAT in order to get in and out as quickly as possible?

I'd have thought the better solution might be to fit the protective guard that you can apparently buy in order to stop them having it away - but, of course, that assumes they thieves don't have their own way of removing the guard.... if you have to bolt the guard on (which presumably you do) then I gues there has to be a way to remove it in legitimate circumstances?

In all honesty I don't know where the CATs are on either my own petrol Yeti or Hyundai i10 but guess I'd find out soon enough if one (or both) were to be whisked away.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Xileno

"do they not just take a portable grinder to the pipe either side of the CAT in order to get in and out as quickly as possible?"

They do, there was something on the radio a while ago.

You’re right about the pros and cons but once bitten, twice shy.

In our case, they used an angle grinder. There are videos showing how it can be done in less than two minutes.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - gordonbennet

Just another nail in the coffin of this once lovely country.

The old bill are no longer Peel's Police, looking out for each other in a neighbourhood has similarly died a death, and here we are with low life's roaming around unhindered in a country with an expensive fast tracked graduate led police service sat on its back-side patrolling the internet, with neighbours presumbaly looking the other way whilst otherwise unemployable wastes of space set to jacking a car up and firing a disc cutter up without anyone noticing.

Yes we all know it would be waste of time calling the police, the days of relying on that lot to fight crime are sadly long past, and don't for goodness sake take a crafty picture or worse still video of the scrotes at 'work' or you'll soon have your collar grabbed by the boys in blue for some trumped up charge due to not telling said criminals they were being filmed, no doubt the film would be lost or deleted to save the trouble of taking the thieves to court in order for them to be told off by the judge.

I suggest strong drink and watch in a fog of drunkeness as the good ship Great Britain slips silently into the deep.

Otherwise its strong gates and dogs, you are on your own people, get used to it.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - focussed

Here in the wilds of rural france it's also down to yourself to look after yourself, yours and your stuff.

If a vehicle stops outside our property during daylight, for whatever reason, I always make a point of going to the gate with our 12 bore slung over my shoulder - it seems to work, word gets around, not had a problem yet in ten years............... Perfectly legal in France as long as it's registered!

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - barney100

probably break in and steal your shotgun here.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Big John

On some cars the cat is close coupled or part of the exhaust manifold so difficult to get to with an angle grinder.

A few years ago we replaced the cat on our old 2001 Octavia (rusted through) it wasn't much money at all so I can't see the value in cutting one out?

Edited by Big John on 02/11/2019 at 21:52

They are after the metals inside. The price of palladium, platinum and rhodium are up.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Lee Power

Buy a car fitted with a manicat ( cat bolted directly to the exhaust manifold ) as these are extremely difficult for thieves to remove quickly at the roadside.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - John Boy

Buy a car fitted with a manicat ( cat bolted directly to the exhaust manifold ) as these are extremely difficult for thieves to remove quickly at the roadside.

I think Vauxhall Agila B / Suzuki Splash fall into that category.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Engineer Andy

They are after the metals inside. The price of palladium, platinum and rhodium are up.

Indeed - I live close to a factory that tests and builds products (including cats) that use such precious metals, and they have VERY high security (not only to go in/out, but to just go to the canteen for lunch you are searched and go through a scanner like at the airport, to check for hidden metals) and in their processes, they collect the metal dust/shavings for re-use, even from extractor fans!

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Bromptonaut

On some cars the cat is close coupled or part of the exhaust manifold so difficult to get to with an angle grinder.

A few years ago we replaced the cat on our old 2001 Octavia (rusted through) it wasn't much money at all so I can't see the value in cutting one out?

I suspect, but don't know for certain, that in a legitimate replacement there is an element of 'exchange'. The rare metals in the old cat will be recycled and there is credit for their value in price of new cat.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 03/11/2019 at 14:15

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Big John

Good point but it does seem to depend on the car/age/model. The one I had replaced was on my old Octavia (a couple of years ago - the original nearly fell to bits with rust!) and is still relatively cheap . Current listing for circa £84 :-

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/bm-catalysts-8332926.html

The later tsi versions seem much more expensive

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - edlithgow

I'm in the process of fitting a lockable storage box for tools, which will replace the rear seat, based on a rather heavy scrap electrical lighting control box.

I suppose it MIGHT be possible to similarly enclose the cat to make it more difficult (of course not impossible) to nick, though more hassle under the car, and it'd need ventilation because cats get pretty hot.

Stuff tends not to get nicked here, which meant I got careless.I have to work in public spaces , though, and eventually I got targeted.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - gordonbennet

At the weekend i was chopsing to a security gate chap in that London, the most awful noise came down the road, low and behold a almost new Auris hybrid pulled up opposite and parked, obvious what the issue was.

We got talking about this problem, the young security bod was telling me his girlfriend wants them to get out of London as soon as they can because this is only the tip of the violent and criminal iceberg they live in constantly, i could only agree with her sensible view.

The future of our country is bleak and no one in authority is prepared to stand up and apply a fix.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Bolt

At the weekend i was chopsing to a security gate chap in that London, the most awful noise came down the road, low and behold a almost new Auris hybrid pulled up opposite and parked, obvious what the issue was.

We got talking about this problem, the young security bod was telling me his girlfriend wants them to get out of London as soon as they can because this is only the tip of the violent and criminal iceberg they live in constantly, i could only agree with her sensible view.

The future of our country is bleak and no one in authority is prepared to stand up and apply a fix.

I was going to say its not only the Jazz but other cars as well being targeted, London is getting worse- no two ways about it- but no one in power seems interested apart from, we will do this we will do that.....never happens though.

not surprised people want out of London, I really dont blame them:(

As for expensive, well, its one big rip off Maybe Labour cant do any worse eh

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - madf

2003 Yaris D4D and 2012 Jazz have close coupled cats.. Not easy to remove - subframes and engine block/bulkhead in way.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - ManYad

Are CRV Mk 4s safe? Is the catalytic converter inaccessible from outside (is it in the engine bay)?

M

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - Mike H

Are CRV Mk 4s safe? Is the catalytic converter inaccessible from outside (is it in the engine bay)?

M

Correct.

Honda Jazz - Are any cars safe from cat converter theft? - ManYad
Thanks Mike.