Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - Richard wall
Hi all
Just wondering where I stand I’ve ordered a new Jag XE on a 12 week lead time. Paid a £2k deposit however have signed nothing and car build has not started yet. If I was to cancel due to a unforeseen change in circumstances what are my rights in getting my deposit back?

Thanks
Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - Falkirk Bairn

You have a verbal contract with the garage. They have £2,000 deposit to back this up.

IMHO all you can do is explain the change of circumstances and ask them to cancel the order.

If you, for example, are buying on credit & you have lost your job / are seriously ill then you would be unable to pay the loan and therefore unable to pay for the car. Blood & stone are 2 words that come to mind.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.

You might get £2K back. You might get some back or nothing-.

Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - focussed

If the transaction took place off-site, via a phone call for instance, and you sent them the deposit or did it with a card over the phone, I think you have you have a 14 day cooling off period during which you are allowed to change your mind and withdraw from the contract.

Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - craig-pd130

Bear in mind that I am not a legal expert, but the car has not been built yet, and you haven't signed anything, so there is no 'contract' in place and the dealer has not had to prepare the car for sale, etc. Putting down the deposit on an unbuilt car is simply expressing an intention to buy.

If you did wish to cancel, simply tell the dealer your circumstances have changed and you are not proceeding with the purchase, and you want your deposit back. I fully expect they will moan and argue with you, but as you've not signed anything they would have a difficult time proving they have a right to keep your deposit.

Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - Bromptonaut

I don't think lack of written agreement is determinative - verbal contracts are enforceable. Given it's a new vehicle, effectively built to order, I'm surprised dealer didn't do a new car order form to detail exactly what was agreed eg trim, paint, options etc.

As others say best hope is to put cards on table and request cancellation/refund.

Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - Richard wall
Hi all just an update cancelled order and no problems got my money back
Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - Xileno

That's good news. I like the XE particularly the recent facelift. Shame there's no six-cylinder engine option. Apparently the Ingenium I6 engine doesn't fit.

Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - RT

That's good news. I like the XE particularly the recent facelift. Shame there's no six-cylinder engine option. Apparently the Ingenium I6 engine doesn't fit.

Maybe the BMW inline-6 will fit instead.

Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - SLO76

That was very good of them now please don’t buy anything else unless you’re 100% certain it’s right for you. You’ve no idea the hassle that a cancelled order can cause especially a new car. The deposit exists to cover some of the cost and to enforce a contract, they weren’t obligated to give you your money back so I’m assuming you caught things just in time. Don’t pay a deposit again with the expectation of getting it back as few would return it.
Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - concrete

That was very good of them now please don’t buy anything else unless you’re 100% certain it’s right for you. You’ve no idea the hassle that a cancelled order can cause especially a new car. The deposit exists to cover some of the cost and to enforce a contract, they weren’t obligated to give you your money back so I’m assuming you caught things just in time. Don’t pay a deposit again with the expectation of getting it back as few would return it.

I would have thought a deposit of £150 to £200 would have sufficed for a verbal order. This would cover the dealers cost should you cancel before the order is submitted for build. I am surprised that the dealer didn't fill out an official order as Bromptonaut said. If this had been the case and it had been submitted you would have been in a very awkward situation. Your deposit and maybe more could have been forfeit. You have been fortunate in having a kind dealer.

Cheers Concrete

Cheers Concrete

Jaguar XE - Cancelling of new car order - Terry W

A verbal contract is still enforceable - as they clearly had your money which I assume you willingly paid at the time, there must have been some sort of agreement in place.

So you are fortunate to have cancelled and have depositt returned

From the point of view of the garage it may be that they had not yet ordered the car from the manufacturer. If so, the garage may wish to retain your goodwill as a potential future customer rather than make a charge which would alienate you.

But if they had ordered the car, they may have had significant penalties to pay the manufacturer to cancel. Alternatively they could take delivery of a premium car which they may have to significantly discount to sell quickly with the ordered spec.

Either way £2000 is probably closer to the real cost of cancelling a processed order than £200!!