Any Beware - European Low emission zones - oldroverboy.

For anyone thinking of driving in Europe,

Where there is a possibility of being close to a Low emission zone, register just in case there is a traffic diversion in place.

We went to Antwerp last week and although I had registered, I had no intention of entering, but traffic and and accident on Ring 1 scuppered my hope of getting to our destination without entering. I would have had to pay 35 euros for a day pass! or a big fine if i didn't get the day pass!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/07/2019 at 10:58

Any Beware - European Low emission zones - craig-pd130

It's well worth warning about this. I can't find it right now but in recent months, someone either posted in the forum or sent a note to HJ's agony column to report they'd been driving on holiday for a couple of weeks (in Italy, if I recall correctly) and when they got back, they received several thousands of pounds in fines because they'd been repeatedly driving in and out of a ULEZ in the town local to them, without knowing.

We are less inclined to go by car now, except for belgium, where we are registered, but in each individual city that has an LEZ.

Bruges will have one soon too!

Going to Canada/USA soon, (not driving while there)........

brussels eurostar £29 each way...no driving. What tickles me is that it is more expensive Colchester to St Pancras than London to Brussels....

Nuremburg in the Autumn, train airport to city centre. no driving either.

Any Beware - European Low emission zones - Stackman II

Thanks for the heads-up. We were planning a trip to the low countries in September and intended to stop in Antwerp for a couple of nights. It's a great city to visit.

Sadly our 2006 Audi A3 1.9 diesel isn't allowed in the city centre unless we pay €35.00 per day.

Looks like we will have to decide to stop somewhere else instead.

Thanks for the heads-up. We were planning a trip to the low countries in September and intended to stop in Antwerp for a couple of nights. It's a great city to visit.

Sadly our 2006 Audi A3 1.9 diesel isn't allowed in the city centre unless we pay €35.00 per day.

Looks like we will have to decide to stop somewhere else instead.

Driving in Holland and parking is hell and expensive.

Try 'T Roodhof just outside bruges, (a bit out of the way in the country, not too basic but clean and friendly nice fast food place nearby in Loppem. Well behaved dogs accepted.

Just off the Antwerp Ring is where we stay in Antwerp, Tulip inn. Free parking and tramstops a few hundred metres away as is ANTWERP BERCHEM station, so park and don't use the car. staff friendly.

You can get to the hotel without going into the low emission zone, but don't trust your satnav. Look it up on Googlemaps and the lez map online.

If you are going further south (past waterloo) there is The Auberge de la lesse, which has an excellent restaurant and a nice beer menu. There is also a campsite nearby.

Within the price range of all three, I can recommend them.

Any Beware - European Low emission zones - Smileyman

considering the UK is about to leave the EU I do wonder how the Belgians (or anyone else) will get vehicle owners details ... unlike hired cars where driver details are shared on collection of car. Hopefully DVLA will stop sharing details outside the UK!

Any Beware - European Low emission zones - edlithgow

considering the UK is about to leave the EU I do wonder how the Belgians (or anyone else) will get vehicle owners details ... unlike hired cars where driver details are shared on collection of car. Hopefully DVLA will stop sharing details outside the UK!

Why would they do that?

If you think they are on your side, you can't have been paying much attention.

Any Beware - European Low emission zones - Wee Willie Winkie

Thank you.

We're off to Italy at the start of next month and I hadn't even given any thought to restrictions. A quick Google reveals there are many schemes - I'll have to have a look in more detail - maybe tonight over a glass of Chianti. Got to get in the swing of it!