V5 docs after death in family - NAthan smith
Hi all
My father has recently passed away and we need to sell his car. Looked for advice on DVLA but it is a little vague. Can I sign the document on behalf of my dad? I understand you have to write to the DVLA to notify them of a death but not sure if you sign the v5 along with the new owner? Also what are the best ways to sell private plates?

Thanks
V5 docs after death in family - Leif
Hello Nathan. Sorry for your loss. Regarding the car, my understanding is that it forms part of his estate, and you must first get probate before you can sell any of his property. You can do this via a solicitor, or by yourself. Who are the named executors of his estate? For large estates, or many heirs with the potential for disputes, a solicitor is worth using.

As I recall from dealing with my mum’s estate, official documents such as passports and driving ,
licences are supposed to be returned to the relevant government bodies.

As for the V5, why not ring DVLA, people tend to be understanding and helpful in these circumstances. However I did find this:

www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement/keeping-the...e

I suspect you should wait for probate first, and then the executor sells the car or transfers it to you in exchange for a sum of money equal to its worth, or as part of your inheritance.

Apologies I was mistaken:

www.bereavementadvice.org/topics/registering-a-dea.../

Edited by Leif on 06/05/2019 at 21:42

V5 docs after death in family - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I'd POA for a friend. I sold two cars on his behalf, No complications at all.

Speak to a solicitor by all means, but DVLA didn't seem concerned. about who did the selling.

Car insurance will not exist now either.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 07/05/2019 at 11:23

V5 docs after death in family - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

DVLA do not require proof of ownership for a vehicle sale in my experience. Just make sure it is taxed, insured and motted - if it's on the road. SORN otherwise.