Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - Deryck

I am considering a new to me car and have spotted a used Mondeo petrol that generally fits the bill. Looking at the dealer photos one includes the service book as follows:

PDI Oct 2015

1st Service Oct 2017 at 20k

No other services included in the records - nothing for Oct 2016 or Oct 2018. I thought Ford petrol engines had a one year 12.5k interval. Current mileage about 30k

Is this car worth a look considering the lack of service? Are there any issues to look for in these cars? Probably some wriggle room?

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - paul 1963

Walk away my friend......

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - sammy1

Only 17months since the last service and 10kmiles. If you like the car I wouldn't get too hung up about the service record. Obviously it needs a service and if you can get a full Ford service negotiated in the price go for it and use the history as a bargaining tool

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - gordonbennet

It all depends how you feel about these things, some people are happy with extended service intervals, and some arn't, who's right is debatable, the car is out of warranty anyway so use your mk 1 eyeball and your hearing to their best advantage when judging the car itself on its own merits...does the engine have a dipstick? if so what does the oil look and feel like.

If you're going to sell it again in 2 years then the lack of early history might put some people off.

The irony of this is that even if the oil was changed every 3k or 6 monthly, if the driver had zero mechanical sympathy then he could do more harm to the engine/turbo that a sympathetic driver who left the oil in 4 or 6 times longer, and that unfortunately is always the gamble buying used unless you can speak to the previous owner and judge accurately what sort of person they are.

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - elekie&a/c doctor
May be an idea to check for how many previous owners. Also check for any advisories on the Mot history check. Sadly the previous owner details are no longer listed on the V5

MoT is a clean pass so not tooo bad and probably expected.

I think I am a little cautious as my current car came will full dealer history when I bought it at 3 years old. Took it for its first service in my ownership at a local indy only for them to ask when it was last serviced. Told them and they were puzzled as the oil filter disintegrated in their hands and, according to them, had never been changed in 48k miles prior to me buying it.

I will ask some more questions!

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - carl233

Does the 1.5 have the belt in oil? If so not good at all really I would avoid.

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - SLO76
It’s a good engine, based on the older 1.6 Yamaha designed Zetec SE but it’s also 4yrs old and only seen one oil change according to the service history. I’d leave it unless stupidly cheap or the seller can produce the rest of the history from somewhere.
Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - andrew bairsto

Modern oils will do 100k missing one service if it indeed has missed a service is not a catastrophy.

I did quite a bit is research in Mondeo's of this vintage as was buying one for a family member. I recall the 1.5 engined belt was in oil and missing changes is really bad for such a design.

“I did quite a bit is research in Mondeo's of this vintage as was buying one for a family member. I recall the 1.5 engined belt was in oil and missing changes is really bad for such a design.”

You’re understandably getting it mixed up with the new 3cyl 1.5 Ecoboost in the Fiesta and Focus. The Mondeo here uses a downsized version of the old Zetec SE 1.6 Ecoboost. It’s an excellent engine and very robust but it’s not a belt in oil bath design.

Do you have any links SLO that confirm this? There was much differing information when I researched this. Also this engine requires 5w20 I read which is also the grade used to satisfy the belt in oil. The Yamaha sigma is a great design so it would be interesting to verify the belt used as I myself might buy one of these cars in future years when they depreciate more.

The only 3cyl unit in the Mondeo is the 1.0 Ecoboost. The 1.5 as you can see when you go into the correct gen and into specs is a 4cyl 1.5 which is just a downsized 1.6 Ecoboost from the previous model. But the best research you could do would be to view one, lift the bonnet and count the cylinders.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo_(fourth_generation)

Edited by SLO76 on 05/03/2019 at 22:09

Not responded SLO as been out of the country for a while but I am not sure you are correct and the general information is a little misleading. The 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cylinder is based in the Sigma, Zetec-S etc, although this engine needs 5w20 and has been modified to the timing belt in oil design like Ford have done with other engines over the years e.g. the 1.8 Diesel etc. See the link here:

www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=133

It appears this Zetec-S Yamaha engine was modified for the nasty timing belt in oil design? Would welcome any opinions and thoughts.

Not responded SLO as been out of the country for a while but I am not sure you are correct and the general information is a little misleading. The 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cylinder is based in the Sigma, Zetec-S etc, although this engine needs 5w20 and has been modified to the timing belt in oil design like Ford have done with other engines over the years e.g. the 1.8 Diesel etc. See the link here:

www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=133

It appears this Zetec-S Yamaha engine was modified for the nasty timing belt in oil design? Would welcome any opinions and thoughts.

Hmm, haven’t heard anything about this. As far as any description I’ve read or from anyone I’ve spoken to it’s simply a downsized Sigma 1.6 EcoBoost to suit Chinese tax bands. It was a sound design which is not prone to timing belt failure even well beyond its scheduled change. I don’t know why they’d change this, it would add cost and complexity but I wouldn’t be too concerned either. The belt in oil bath should theoretically extend its lifespan but will certainly make changing it more costly and I don’t accept it’ll last the life of the car even with the water pump driven by a separate belt as it is here. The water pump has a finite lifespan and is best replaced periodically along with the drive belt which would be costly on a wet belt design if it was driven by the timing belt. As mentioned in your link this engine has a great reputation for reliability to date and the design it’s based on is well regarded with countless examples still running well into big mileage and old age. The 3cyl 1.5 EcoBoost as used in the new Fiesta and Focus is another beast altogether. It’s an enlarged version of Fords 1.0 and I wouldn’t extend it the same trust. The 4cyl is an engine I’d happily buy or recommend whether driven by an belt in bath or not.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/03/2019 at 22:38

"I’d leave it unless stupidly cheap or the seller can produce the rest of the history from somewhere. "

Not particularly cheap to be honest and I reckon about £1000~1500 over-priced based on similar cars and the asking price. I think it has been hanging around the dealer for a while.

I may give it a wide berth for now unless I could get an exceptional deal with a warranty for free!

Edited by Deryck on 05/03/2019 at 12:02

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - nick62

Extended service intervals benefit nobody except fleet buyers. They dispose of them before the warranty is up, so don't give a damn basically, ................ walk away.

Extended service intervals benefit nobody except fleet buyers. They dispose of them before the warranty is up, so don't give a damn basically, ................ walk away.

I am leaving it! The dealer has not come back with any information. I was talking to the mechanic who looks after my car and he suggested that the service performed may only have been an "interim" rather than "Full" service that should be done on extended intervals. I got the impression that he was not impressed by 20k and two years - he confirmed my thoughts of it should have had something at one year irrespective

Ford Mondeo 1.5 Petrol - Used Car Missing Service - edlithgow

"Belt in oil"?

Never heard of that before, and wouldn't much mind if I never heard of it again.

Good to keep up with new technology though. Sometimes it allows you to quietly congratulate yourself on so far avoiding it.

Which is nice.