2010 Golf 6 spd dsg - Used car previous fault - mikert

My son paid £6k for a car last week, a 2010 golf with 77k miles. He bought it from a motor dealer in London.

His wife drove it down to my family in Wales, and on the 2nd day the car wouldn't engage D or R (auto-box)

He contacted the dealer, relaying the issue from his wife.

Unfortunately the issue has only worsened, and he decided, rightly in my view, that he was rejecting the car under the consumer rights act 2015 as it was less than 30 days old, and informed the dealer of this via email and phone-call.

I am driving the car back to the dealer in London on Saturday morning - exactly 7 days since the purchase.

Since looking at the paperwork with the car, please see link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19FvkpDbBqEgJe39jH6HFTnSi_Ddvb2XF

It seems the previous owner also had a the same fault.

My question is, does this piece of paper go in our favour as proof the fault already existed, or against us as he took the car with that paper in the service book, therefore accepting the fault.

Basically - Do I wave that under the dealer's nose, or hide it?

Thanks in advance.

2010 Golf 6 spd dsg - Used car previous fault - SLO76
It does say clutch judder present and that they suspect future transmission issues. It’s not stating the gearbox is knackered but it is clear there was a fault present which only adds weight to your rejection. I would mention it but I’d take a photocopy rather than the origional incase dealer swipes it during discussions.

VAG’s DSG gearboxes have a terrible reputation for failure and are best avoided especially when buying used like this. You don’t want them attempting to fix it, you want shot of it. They’re almost guaranteed to go wrong.

Act quickly your short-term right to reject lasts only for the first 30 days

If your new or used car has a significant fault that was present when you bought it (as opposed to developing afterwards), you can reject the car within the first 30 days and get a full refund. You do not have to accept a repair or replacement vehicle (although you can if you want to).

If it must be another auto then stick with more conventional torque converter autos like the Mazda 3, Mk II Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra or go for one of Toyota’s very robust CVT boxes in an Auris or Avensis. Stick with petrol and above all keep it simple.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/01/2019 at 20:27

2010 Golf 6 spd dsg - Used car previous fault - mikert

Thank you SLO76