VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - Leif
Today I had pretty much reversed out of a parking space when I heard a bang. Someone had reversed out of the space opposite, and the rear of their car had gone into the side of my car, destroying the passenger door and part of the sill beneath. I’ve gone through LV insurance, and they suggested using their approved repairer, ABL in Portsmouth. I will get a courtesy car which is excellent. They said I could go through the VW garage for the repair if I wanted, but I said I’d let them handle it.

So, can I assume their repairer is fine, they said they give a five year warranty and are Kite approved?

Secondly, can I assume the other party is at fault given that the rear of their car went into the side of mine? I have dash cam footage which shows that I am out of the parking space and pretty much ready to drive forwards when the impact occurs. Obviously the damage to my car confirms the impact area. There appears to be no damage to their car, maybe some fine wrinkles on the chromed bumper, it was a nine year old Fiat 500, mine is a 2018 Polo bought new!
VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - csgmart
So, can I assume their repairer is fine, they said they give a five year warranty and are Kite approved?

Personally I wouldn't take the risk of assuming this. Why not call your insurance company and ask them for a definitive answer in writing?

As for who was at fault. From the way you describe it I would find it hard to say you were to blame. How an insurer would view it is another matter. If the other party accepts responsibility that might make things easier but what someone says at the time of an accident and later (after hours / days have gone by) can be different.
VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - Andrew-T
They said I could go through the VW garage for the repair if I wanted, but I said I’d let them handle it. So, can I assume their repairer is fine, they said they give a five year warranty and are Kite approved?

If you have a preferred or more convenient repairer in mind, the insurer should allow you to have the work done there - unless they find it will cost more I suppose. I have done that on occasion, once when their suggested place was in Manchester, 30 miles away.

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - SLO76
If you were stationary at the time of impact then the other party was to blame but if you were both moving it’s very likely it’ll be classed as bump for bump. Your camera footage will help verify here.

As for repairs we’ll I’d rather use the local main dealer who will more than likely use VW parts and will be very familiar with the model while the insurers own body shop will fix it as cheaply as possible often using pattern or even used parts.
Thanks all. I Googled the repairers ABL and the reviews are glowing, so it’s probably a good bet.

Regarding fault attribution, I was not moving towards them, and the damage is consistent with them driving into the side of me, so I would have thought it was their fault, but as said above, you can’t be sure how their minds work. I’ll try to post a video on YouTube. Bet you can’t wait. ;)
VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - Chris M

I don't know where you are Leif but ABL don't look like a backstreet operation. They are Nissan approved according to their website. Peter Cooper (the local VW dealer) are about a mile away and I believe their own bodyshop is in Bognor. I'd stick with VW unless Pompey is particularly convenient.

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - Manatee

The warranty to consider is the VW anti-perforation one.

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - KB.

I have to tell you that my mate recently parked his car, legitimately on the roadside, locked it and and walked towards his destination - whereupon .... yes ... there was a bang. A young lady had driven into it.

My mate's car was written off (don't know about the cost of damage to her car). Obviously he had to tell his insurer and it transpired the other driver admitted liability without dispute. My mate's insurer confidently told him he wouldn't be penalised as the other driver obviously caused it and admitted to it. The other driver's insurer paid him out on his car and that was that.

Until renewal. My mate's premium went through the roof. He had chosen to replace the written off car with a leased Ford Kuga which was worth a lot more than the old car - but his premium tripled!

They told him that he was now viewed as a liabilty because he had entered into a claims procedure, therefore they were entitled to up his premium irrespective of the fact that he was parked and not even in the car at the the time of the accident.

No amount of effort would move them from their stance and he had to pay it .... around £600, from a previous premium of around £200.

Therefore, realistically, I fear you will finish up out of pocket no matter who was or wasn't to blame.

An increase in premiums is expected as an accident is consistent with driving in higher risk areas, or driving in such a manner as to increase exposure to accidents. But three times is off. I shall see what happens.
VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - John F

Therefore, realistically, I fear you will finish up out of pocket no matter who was or wasn't to blame.

And that is the scandalous result for tens of thousands of blameless drivers.

You could inform your collider (cc their insurance company) that you will be having the car repaired at their expense, and disregard any small print instruction to inform your own insurance company. If they fail to pay, sue them through the county county court. Optimistically, you might get a letter from their insurance company admitting liability and agreeing to repairs etc. That is what happened to us a few years ago when someone removed the rear bumper and dented the wing of our Focus.

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - Chris M

By all means approach the TP's insurer direct, but you HAVE to inform your insurer. Your policy t&c's say so.

Obviously the OP already has.

Edited by Chris M on 28/12/2018 at 21:44

Until renewal. My mate's premium went through the roof. He had chosen to replace the written off car with a leased Ford Kuga which was worth a lot more than the old car - but his premium tripled!

Am I missing something here? Your mate now owns a much newer, presumably different, car. Why should his premium not change (probably upwards) ?

Am I missing something here? Your mate now owns a much newer, presumably different, car. Why should his premium not change (probably upwards) ?

I went from a VW Up worth £2,000 to a brand new VW Polo worth £16,000, almost no change in the premiums. Maybe the other person’s new car was a much higher insurance group?

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - KB.

I don't think anyone would be arguing that the premium may well change.... although experience has told me that a newer, more expensive, car need not necessarily be much more expensive than an older one. Safety equipment on a new car reducing the likelihood of injury maybe being just one of the factors perhaps?

Certainly I can tell you my Yeti and my Hyundai i10 premiums are invariably different: same two drivers, same address, same everything - both have a 1200cc engine both are automatic but the Hyundai is smaller, less powerful, cheaper to buy and/or replace AND YET the Hyundai is invariably more expensive to insure than the Yeti, and has been for the past seven years that we have owned them both.

Yes, my mate has a newer, more expensive car but the hike in premium cannot, surely, be solely due to the change of vehicle? His insurer has specifically told him that due to him advising them that an accident has occurred and that he owned one of the vehicles involved, THAT IN ITSELF has increased his premium for the reasons outlined . The fact that his insurer hasn't incurred any expense is apparently neither here nor there .... he's advised them that his car was involved in an accident so that has made him an increased risk (in their estimation).

And the penalty will carry on for the next five years due to him having to tell his insurer there was an incident involving a vehicle he owned (never mind that he wasn't actually in ther car when it was damagedand that he made no claim upon his insurer and that he was paid out in full by the other party.)

Edited by KB. on 01/01/2019 at 23:54

Certainly I can tell you my Yeti and my Hyundai i10 premiums are invariably different: same two drivers, same address, same everything - both have a 1200cc engine both are automatic but the Hyundai is smaller, less powerful, cheaper to buy and/or replace AND YET the Hyundai is invariably more expensive to insure than the Yeti, and has been for the past seven years that we have owned them both.

As you have eliminated most of the obvious variables, KB, I presume that any remaining differences in premium come from the insurers' claim-probability statistics - they get more claims from i10 owners than from Yeti's. ??

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - edlithgow

I don't think anyone would be arguing that the premium may well change.... although experience has told me that a newer, more expensive, car need not necessarily be much more expensive than an older one. Safety equipment on a new car reducing the likelihood of injury maybe being just one of the factors perhaps?

You seem to be assuming a rational market. I'd say that's an unsupported assumption.

For example, long long ago in a country far far away from me, but probably quite close to you, I collected insurance quotes for an ex-BT diesel maestro van I was thinking of buying.

2L Perkins engine, and a biggish hike in premium.

"Why so much more than the petrol?" ses I

"Bigger engine" says the rep

"But its got less power" says I (I quoted the figures but can't remember them now)

"Err...well...diesels cost more to repair" says the rep

"But I'm insuring 3PFT, so that won't be your problem, will it?" ses I.

"Well, thats what it says on the computer" says the rep, which was the real reason, and what he should have said in the first place.

Re KB's mates situation, same thing happened to me. Fiesta pulled out in front of me at a junction and my Lada, with right of way, bent it quite a lot.

No claim made against my insurer and no claim made by me against the Fiesta's insurer (Lada wing was a bit distorted but easily hammered back) but I reported the incident and my premium went up a lot.

I changed insurers. All you can do AFAIK

Edited by edlithgow on 02/01/2019 at 12:29

A link to a discussion thread with a photo of the damage, and a link to the dash cam video. A bit of swearing at the end I’m afraid.

uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72382&p=546789#p...9

To save you searching, the YouTube link is here:

youtu.be/Ta3p38IEo1c

Edited by Leif on 30/12/2018 at 13:07

This forum appears to be losing posts and threads, which later reappear. Hi how. Anyway, YouTube link to dash cam video:

youtu.be/Ta3p38IEo1c

Link to thread with photo of damage consistent with the rear end of a Fiat 500 driving into the side::

uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72382&p=546792&s...2
If anyone here has previous relevant experience, do you think the other party will be 100% at fault? It’s obvious the other driver did not use her rear view mirror.

My neighbour said his insurer tried to get 50 50 when someone reversed into him, zero fault on his part, and he argued against it. I assume they agree 50 50 to avoid legal fees from a dispute, and averaged over a years worth of claims the insurer’s costs are no higher, but not fair on motorists. That’s just my guess.

These days is it possible to fight an insurer’s conclusion? And if so, how?
Not what you want to hear but as far as I can tell it looks like a 50/50 bump to me. You were both moving and both failed to see the other car. The only defence would’ve came if you had been stationary and the other car then ran into you. An unfortunate incident but I’d be amazed if it doesn’t go bump for bump.
Not what you want to hear but as far as I can tell it looks like a 50/50 bump to me. You were both moving and both failed to see the other car. The only defence would’ve came if you had been stationary and the other car then ran into you. An unfortunate incident but I’d be amazed if it doesn’t go bump for bump.

I don’t understand your logic. Even if I was aware she was approaching from the right, I could not have prevented it, only she could. I was on my side of the road, she crossed onto it. I was not driving towards her, she was driving towards me, She failed to look in her rear view mirror, which is a key requirement when reversing. Anyway, have you actually been in this situation, or come across the same? That was the question, otherwise this is just opinion, as is my assessment.

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - John F

I agree with SLO76. The clincher evidence is that the dash-cam car was apparently still moving when jolted by the impact.

Let us know the outcome. I’ve made my call on it based on your description and video footage but personally I’ve never been in the same position so you’re correct it’s just my opinion.
Let us know the outcome. I’ve made my call on it based on your description and video footage but personally I’ve never been in the same position so you’re correct it’s just my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification. I will update as and when.

FWIW four people at work were asked and all four without hesitation said that the fault lay with the other person, but that is of course no more than their opinion, and potentially influenced by knowing me in person. I think a real concern is that if the other party (Admiral) dispute fault, LV may just go 50 50 to avoid legal fees.

Looking on the bright side, the repair company are collecting the car from work tomorrow, and providing a courtesy car. Hope it's not a Fiat 500. ;)

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - nick62

In my own experience insurance companies do NOT go out of their way to ensure you (as their customer) end-up with a "no-claim" accident record. I guess they deal with so many routine "bumps" that over the course of a year they even themselves-out between all the various underwriters, so no company ends-up worse off (except YOU)?

Also the con that is "protected no claims bonus" is just that, any accident WILL increase your premium (that is why it is not called a "no premium increase bonus").

Edited by nick62 on 02/01/2019 at 16:07

Apparently I can appeal to the financial ombudsman if I believe such shenanigans are going on:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/techni...c

No idea if it is genuinely useful or a fig leaf for the industries unmentionables.
VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - Smileyman

Some years ago I was involved in a similar minor collision at the supermarket, except that I was backing into the parking bay not reversing out. The other party was a pickup truck - I argued they had failed to look properly - I had driven past the vehicle parking in a bay to my left, stopped and started to reverse into a bay to my right when they pulled out and hit my car. I added that they were not moving when I drove past them and their reversing lights were not illuminated.

I stood my ground and refused to accept any blame and the matter ended up in the local county court for a hearing, 3 parties, me, the other party and a judge (or perhaps registrar, not sure). As the matter had been progressed via insurance so both parties had legal representation. I remember it well, I made sure my solicitor did not concede any blame, in the end the findings were 50/50. Neither I or the other party were happy - they swore blindly I was to blame but I don't agree, and never will. This was before dashcams existed.

To this day I still always reverse into parking bays and drive out forwards.

Having viewed the video my first thought is that you were moving first and it was for the other party to look out, see a moving vehicle and to act accordingly ie stay stationary. The Polo has twin reversing lights - if illuminated a clear sign of direction of travel!

Edited by Smileyman on 02/01/2019 at 23:11

A quick update: I spoke to my insurer today and they told me that the other party has admitted liability, and my NCB will not be affected. However, there will I assume be a premium increase due to a no fault accident.

I got the car back last Friday, beautiful repair, looks like new but this morning I noticed the wing mirrors were not defrosting. Turns out the repairers did not connect the wing mirror controls (or at least I assume that is the cause given the symptoms). So it's going back for an overnight fix. I missed my Polo. I hated the Citroen C3 loan car at first, but came to like many aspects. INterior build quality is pretty good, but the controls and touchscreen are so illogical. They drove me mad. So I suppose you could say it has some French character. ;) (Apologies to any French members, just a little joke at your expense.)

VW Polo 2018 - Accident repair question - Senexdriver
Glad you got your car back and that you are happy with the repair, subject to the wing mirror issue. With most repairs you simply would not know that the area had been accident damaged, it’s a very clever trade.

I had a C3 as a hire car on holiday in September. Being used to an Audi, I quite understand what you mean about it being French in character. Like you, I didn’t like it at first, but once you get used to its foibles it’s not so bad. It was very lacking in power, but then we were in Kefalonia so there is little opportunity for spirited driving. I looked at a few reviews on YouTube and there is no doubt that it represents good value for money. Horses for courses, cars for....er..stars?
Yes it is good value. Or put another way, the premium on a VAG car is not insignificant.
As said earlier, the other party admitted fault. LV have been reimbursed, £1500 I believe. A week has passed since they got their money and I have yet to receive a refund for the excess, which was £250. Are they obliged to pay that? I admit I don’t understand how this works. I assumed Admiral would pay LV for the cost of the repairs, and LV would reimburse the excess. LV described the excess as an uninsured loss. The personal I spoke to at LV didn’t sound too clued up, so I will phone again in a few days.