N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - James2018

I was travelling on a local road and took a right turn.

The road had recently been closed because of road works and there was a temporary no right turn sign on a stand on the pavement.

The road has recently been reopened and the no right turn sign has gone.

That didn’t stop one of the county’s finest who was sitting in his panda car, from pulling me over and issuing me with a 3 point penalty notice.

I said that I thought the sign had gone and the road was clear of obstructions but he wasn’t having any of it and refused to accompany me to the junction to look to see if the sign was there or not. I went back myself to double check and the sign was not there.

I phoned the local police station and hung up after two hours on hold.

Advice on the next course of action would be appreciated.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - RT

Were any signs present at the junction or in the vicinity.

None. All gone and now back to a two way road.

The road had been dug up for a new water main and filled it in again.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - bathtub tom

If I were you, I'd contact whatever contractor was responsible for the works and ask them at what date and time the works were completed and the signs removed. If you do this by email, then you'll have documentary evidence.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - Brit_in_Germany

Go back, take photos and send them by email to someone who can be a reliable witness in court to confirm that they received the email on that particular day. An email to the constabulary would also help.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - KJP 123

Taking photos at a later date proves nothing. A contractor might know when works started and finished but I doubt any (accurate) records of when signs placed or removed.

But there are rules and procedures for road signs and temporary road signs by contractors do not mean anything unless the local authority has approved them. Check with them.

Locally, in France, they have been doing roadworks; put up 50kph limit on a 40 kph road.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - Gibbo_Wirral

No dashcam? That would have settled this in an instant.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - sammy1

If it is a residential road you could try asking some of them or contact the local council who may have a record of the contractor. Contractors can put up road works signs but whether they are authorised to shut a road is doubtful (no right turn) Question the legality of a temporary sign not issued by the local authority.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - Gerry Sanderson

Contact your LA highways for details of the Road closure Traffic order which should give you chapter and verse on duration of closure and what involved.

To make the right turn an offence a valid Traffic Order has to be in being and signed.

Consider also writing to Chief Constable asking him to resind ticket as not valid and why.

dvd

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - Palcouk

Dont waste your time phoning anybody, including the Police, simply appeal the penalty notice stateing no offence was committed, then go to court if they pesue it

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - concrete

Another case where someone has to jump through multiple hoops simply to defend themselves. I would contact the Highways dept of local authority and request a copy or visit to see for yourself, of the traffic order in place at the time. If it is in your favour I would get a copy or photo of it. Armed with this I would challenge the ticket. If you get an NIP and they ignore your evidence then you have to go to court. I still think you would win. I would also still take photographs of the approach to the junction to highlight the fact there were no visible signs as to the nature of any traffic control. Being a good citizen of good repute I would expect a decent magistrate to err on your side, especially if you have evidence of a traffic order not being in force at the time. I am afraid in this here UK you have to fight for your rights. best of luck.

cheers Concrete

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - HGV ~ P Valentine

How did this resolve itself ?

it is only 3 pts, forgrt it and move on.

Took photos to the station in the next town over as ours is no longer manned after office hours - a town with 70k people.

Saw a traffic sergeant and discussed. She confirmed (and in writing) that there will be no action taken.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - Avant

Well done. It was worth persisting.

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - Bromptonaut

Well done. It was worth persisting.

It usually is.

Way back in September I took the unusual step of driving into Central London. Mrs B and I wanted to take part in an organised bike ride. It being Sunday early morning trains are (a) spa*** and (b) stop at every thick tree - hence driving in. Intended to park in Lincoln Inn Fields, normally deserted on Sunday. On this occasion however half the parking was suspended for filming so demand in what was left was high.

I parked in what I thought was a free on Sunday P&D bay. In fact it was an inadequately marked/signed residents bay. I therefore got a £130 (£65 for early settlement) ticket from Camden Council.

Informal and formal representations to the Council were unsuccessful so I took it to the Tribunal and, after hearing on Monday won my appeal.

Full account of day here (link to another motoring site).

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/04/2019 at 15:33

N/a - Temporary No Right Turn Sign - Stopped but no sign - nick62

.............................................. there will be no action taken.

I hope this doesn't apply to the stupid copper who "did" you in the first place, (but I won't hold my breath)?