Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - OceanMan

So I have a 1.4L peugeot 206 on 75,000k miles from 2005 that failed an MOT. I can't decide if I should get it fixed or invest in a new (very old) car. Here is a list on my car's MOT failures - pastebin.com/i3xs64sT

I've been considering a 2005 1.4l C3 Desire (100,000 miles) for about £600 or various Yaris's from 2001-2003 (generally 100,000 - 120K miles). -- from £400-£900

My main priorities are overall cost, including insurance because i'm a new, 27 year old driver, reliability, safety and a relatively powerful engine that's fun and comfortable to drive. Obviously a Yaris has a much more sold reputation for reliability, but would a 2001 Yaris on 120K miles be preferable to the Peugeot or c3 mentioned above? The c3 is overall cheapest because it's so cheap to insure, but I worry it will be more prone to repair work.

My secondary priorities include comfort, motorway driving, decent car speakers and resale value in a couple of years.

I understand that I probably haven't provided enough info for a definite answer, but any general advice would be great, thanks.

Edit to add that I'm not set on any of these cars, i'd happily buy any car in my budget and meeting my criteria.

Edited by OceanMan on 19/11/2018 at 01:01

I would also like to add that I live in Warrington and would be happy to travel a bit for a car

Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - badbusdriver

With such a small budget you need to be buying on condition, not getting hung up on a particular model. Even the most reliable car, on paper, can become unreliable through many years of neglect, and at >£1k, anything you buy will be quite old. On paper, the Yaris would definately be about the most reliable car you could buy, along with a Corolla. But that could also include pretty much any other Japanese car with a n/a petrol engine and manual gearbox, which is also the best way to look for any other car. Nothing mechanically complex and ideally a lower spec car (less to go wrong). Private sales is probably going to be your best bet here, that way you can see and meet the owner, which will give some notion on how the car has been treated. But keep an eye out that any supposedy private sale is not actually a dealer shirking his responsibilities, and look up online at the cars MOT history, as this can also indicate how well or otherwise the car has been looked after.

Regarding the Citroen C3, it is essentially the same car under the skin as your 206, so just down to personal preferences.

Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - Car

@ OP have you found out the cost of having repairs done to get it through MOT? You could end up buying a new car to you and end up with it needing repairs to get it through its next MOT.

I was told it would cost about£200 to get it road Worthy, but that wouldn't include new tyres that it will need. Im also not sure about the advisories. From looking at them does it seem that any could easily turn into major faults?

Thanks a lot for the answers by the way. They have been very helpful

Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - SLO76

I was told it would cost about£200 to get it road Worthy, but that wouldn't include new tyres that it will need. Im also not sure about the advisories. From looking at them does it seem that any could easily turn into major faults?

Thanks a lot for the answers by the way. They have been very helpful

Spend the £200. Unless you’re spending a lot more on it’s replacement anything you buy a ticket easy than £2k will likely have plenty of advisories. You’d be mad to bin it for £200 on the basis that it has a few wear and tear items that are a bit worn.
Nothing major in that failure list and you’re better spending a few hundred quid on the low mileage car you have and know than buying another cheap runner that may have a major problem lurking. If your car is otherwise ok I’d get a price to fix it, if less than £400 stick with it. Out of curiosity who carried out the test, was it a small backstreet garage, a fast fit establishment or a main dealer? With cheap cars like this it’s best to use smaller garages who are usually a bit more relaxed while fast fit and many main dealers are on a commission based structure to boost profits by being overly strict on Mots and scaring people into spending money unnecessarily.

It was a small chain. I think they have about 3 or 4 garages. They gave me a quote of £500 (including new tyres) but I've rang a few places and got quotes lower than £150, without tyres

Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - Andrew-T

With a three-figure budget you won't find much worth owning from a trader, and certainly with no warranty, so look private. People who decide to give up driving may well have looked-after cars for sale, but you may need to wait for a good one. 'Reliability' in the true sense is a hopeful expectation in a 10-year-old car but you can be lucky. Check its MoT history online before buying.

Find out the cost of getting your car through an MoT, and don't necessarily fall for the argument 'don't do it as it's more than the car's worth'. If the car you know is 'reliable' it may make better sense to fix it than to swop it for another which is worse.

The world is full of used cars, especially round Warrington (I live 10 miles away). Look in AutoTrade or GumTree.

Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - FP

My view is that none of the failure items are major and it's worth getting the car you know repaired. Use a recommended independent outfit to get the work done. It will cost less than changing cars - you'll get very little for your Peugeot, will spend more than the cost of repairs for another car and may end up with something that will soon need even more spending on it.

The car has not done a high mileage. Looks after it and it should keep you going for some time - years, probably.

Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - kiss (keep it simple)

I agree with all the above. We kept a Polo going beyond 22 years. Most expensive repair was sunroof mechanism. Remember that your car now has zero depreciation.

Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - Gibbo_Wirral

Another vote for keeping the 206. The jobs that need doing are really simple and cheap.

Fuel tank strap is only £15, for example and that's the dealer price!

I've had the "Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened" on one of my rear discs for two years. Each time the tester says that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the disc, its just an advisory they have to mention.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 19/11/2018 at 12:52

Another thing that may be worth noting is that the C3 is about£300 peryearcheaper to insure than my 206.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for good, honest garagesg in Warrington?

Another thing that may be worth noting is that the C3 is about£300 peryearcheaper to insure than my 206.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for good, honest garagesg in Warrington?

That does not surprise me as the 206 is very much a young persons car where the C3, well, isn't!. I recently found out through a conversation with my nephew (just turned 17) that he can insure a Skoda Fabia VRS (1.9 turbo diesel, 130bhp) for considerably less than a Fiesta 1.4 (petrol, 80bhp). Apparently because the Fabia is considered a 'family car'?!. So if you do decide to change motor, might be worth getting a quote for a Fabia, not neccessarily a VRS(!), but a 1.4 petrol should fit your needs.

However, as most others have advised, if the repairs to your current car can be done without costing a huge amount, that would definately be the best route for the reasons i said earlier. Buying a car at that price point really is a lottery, unless you are buying it from someone you know has looked after it, not abused it, and has owned it for some time.

Thanks for that tip! When I upgrade in a few years ilI keep it in mind. I'm definitely going to get the 206 fixed, I've had a surprsinglsy cheap quote, I imagine it could go up a bit when the work is done but hopefully it won't be too bad.

In view of all the interest in the thread, it would be good if OM could update us when he's had the work done so we can know the cost.

I'm not sure if advertising is allowed but I know a good self-employed Peugeot mechanic and Peugeot owner in Stockton Heath. He's retired so does jobs for beer money. You'll find him on the Peugeot forums, or motoring around in an old 205 or 306!

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 21/11/2018 at 12:34

Thanks for the tip but I dropped it off at another place yesterday. I'll keep him in mind if anything goes wrong in the future. Could you PM me his details?

I'm not sure if advertising is allowed but I know a good self-employed Peugeot mechanic and Peugeot owner in Stockton Heath. He's retired so does jobs for beer money. You'll find him on the Peugeot forums, or motoring around in an old 205 or 306!

Gibbo - please copy the details to me also, as S-H is only a few miles from here, and he might like to work on my 205 as well. He may even be driving my old 306 ....

His name is John Brander, he lives by the canal in Stockton Heath. He's owned Peugeots even longer than me and loves working on them, the older the better. You'll find him on peugeotforums.com

If you want someone more commercial, there's a guy who runs a garage in Ellesmere Port. He used to race Peugeots many years ago and also has a soft spot for them and can do any Peugeot job (especially 306s) faster than anyone else. He's in Ponds Yard on the Rossfield Industrial Estate.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 22/11/2018 at 12:30

“especially 306s”

Now there was a great Peugeot. I loved these both to drive and to sell. Rarely went wrong believe it or not and were a joy to drive.
“especially 306s” - now there was a great Peugeot. I loved these both to drive and to sell. Rarely went wrong believe it or not and were a joy to drive.

My daughters and I between us have owned about fifteen 205s over the years (there is still one in my garage) and followed them with four 306s - three diesels and a cabrio. The 306 was clearly a grown-up 205, but what used to amuse me was that underneath it looked almost identical, just slightly bigger. All fun to drive. Unfortunately the 206 lost the plot somehow, but the 207 seemed to recover some of it.

Edited by Andrew-T on 22/11/2018 at 14:46

I ran a 306 HDi for a while - the only diesel car I've had. Though it felt (and was) a heavy car, it returned over 50 mpg consistently, no matter how it was driven, it seemed. The handling felt solid, as if the car was glued to the road.

Very reliable. I had the windscreen wiper motor replaced (well-known problem with self-parking) and the indicator stick (another well-known problem). That's it. I had it from around 30,000 to around 120,000 miles. Sailed through the MOT every year. Same clutch, same exhaust. Six new tyres and two front disks in that time, if I remember correctly. Got through a couple of batteries, though.

I was sorry to see it go.

Edited by FP on 22/11/2018 at 14:51

Every time I get tired of a modern car, I always go back to the 306 for a while. Still good cars, simple and cheap to maintain.

Every time I get tired of a modern car, I always go back to the 306 for a while. Still good cars, simple and cheap to maintain.

Last one I had was a late model W plate 1.4 LX I paid £500 for from a neighbour who was emigrating. It needed a clutch which I had my wee garage do for £240 all in. I liked it that much I kept it and ran about in it and sold the Mazda 6 I had at the time. Ran it for a year without a single issue and flogged it to a friend for £750 who then ran it for another year without a hitch before someone ran into the back of it in traffic on the M77 and wrote it off. Great wee cars, really fluid handling with plenty of communication from the steering. Hard work if you bought one without PAS though.

Yes, I always liked mine. They are disappearing from the roads now, almost as vanished as the 205. The 306 launch had a great welcome from the press. Odd that it has not become a 'classic' in the way the re-emerging 205 GTi has - maybe its day will come if there are still some good ones hidden away in barns.

“Odd that it has not become a 'classic' in the way the re-emerging 205 GTi has - maybe its day will come if there are still some good ones hidden away in barns.”

Try buying a decent GTi-6, D turbo or XSi. If they’re good they’re selling for strong money now and only going upwards. I had a hankering for one and went shopping a while back but everything I could find had been messed with by the boy racer idiots and ruined. A nice unmolested one was a bit too rich for a toy.

The 306 launch had a great welcome from the press. Odd that it has not become a 'classic' in the way the re-emerging 205 GTi has - maybe its day will come if there are still some good ones hidden away in barns.

Not that odd, the 205 was around a good 10 years before the 306, and as SLO says, trying to find one of the more sought after versions is not easy. As well as the GTi-6, D turbo and XSi, there was also the Rallye, but all are like hens teeth.

If you look at the MK1 Golf, particularly the GTI, because of their scarcity, it was not long before the MK2 prices were being dragged up. And as they get more expensive, the next in line is the MK3, whose prices are also creeping higher, especially the GTI16V and VR6.

The 306 will have its day, assuming there are enough good ones left. Currently the dearest one on Autotrader is a D turbo (deposit paid) at £4300. On Ebay there is an ongoing auction for a GTi-6 in what is described as good condition, but with the laquer peeling in places. Be interesting to find out what it makes when the auction ends in 4 days, but current bid is £1700.

Edited by badbusdriver on 23/11/2018 at 15:32

<< The 306 will have its day, assuming there are enough good ones left. >>

At its peak there were about 400K registered 306s, in 2002. Just now there seem to be about 19,000 still registered, 4 times more than 205s. But Car&Classic has 87 205s for sale (mostly GTi's or CTi's) but only eight 306s: four of those are soft-tops, two GTi's, and one car is in Italy, another in Malta. The two models show very different market characteristics. The 306 just isn't old-fashioned enough yet.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1056351
Peugeot 206 - Pay to repair my car, or invest in a new one? - sammy1

Just had a look at this and the major fails, what are wheel fixings if not the wheel nuts. two missing? Better off off the road and the driver going around like this

Apparently it will cost £235, though that included a new MOT and some petrol. It's higher than the original price quoted over the phone, £120. But I'm guessing it's pretty standard for work to cost more than expected?

Apparently it will cost £235, though that included a new MOT and some petrol. It's higher than the original price quoted over the phone, £120. But I'm guessing it's pretty standard for work to cost more than expected?

In my experience it is not at all unusual to have a quote rise quite a bit once you have the final bill. One of the things which will no doubt catch out the unwary is VAT. If you are not aware of it, and (again, this is from my own experience) the garage does not mention "that will be plus VAT" at the time of the quote, then all of a sudden that is an extra 20% right there. So that £120 becomes £144, then your MOT, probably £50-60, plus the petrol(?), plus a couple of other bits and bobs.......!.

But at the end of the day, that is still potentially much cheaper than buying another cheap car and finding a multitude of problems after you've had it a few months.