new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - oldroverboy.

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-6354331/Rep...l

will this increase the write off rate?

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - Bolt

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-6354331/Rep...l

will this increase the write off rate?

So much for getting things recycled, seems the more they talk about people recycling the more OEMs go out of there way to stop it, makes no sense IMO, reminds me of a phone manufacturer

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - Andrew-T

When my present car was 'written off' a couple of years ago, part of the estimate was £310 to replace BOTH headlamp units (with normal bulbs) complete. Why a similar unit with LEDs or HIDs should cost over 5 times as much can only be for profiteering, especially as front-end damage is fairly common. It can only lead to more write-offs - tho in the normal way it would stimulate the aftermarket to produce cheaper versions. No doubt every model is different, so that probably won't happen.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - skidpan

FFS, its an article in the Daily Mail. Obviously the "Ice Age Cometh" headline is having a week off and they need to get on a new bandwagon.

Simple solution, buy a car lower down the specs which has non - LED lamps, we did that with the Superb and Fabia.

But look on some forums, people without LED lamps are desperate to have them fitted and will consider expensive solutions just to blind oncoming traffic.

FFS, its an article in the Daily Mail. Obviously the "Ice Age Cometh" headline is having a week off and they need to get on a new bandwagon.

Simple solution, buy a car lower down the specs which has non - LED lamps, we did that with the Superb and Fabia.

But look on some forums, people without LED lamps are desperate to have them fitted and will consider expensive solutions just to blind oncoming traffic.

I expect in a couple of years you will not get a car without LED lights, and those that want them as I did a few cars ago, mainly because they were better lights and last longer, and as I recall were not that expensive (really depends on what you consider expensive)

The only part most do not consider/or know, is the light spread is different from standard bulbs to led so they fit them not realizing the problems they are causing other drivers.

mind you I think the MOT will sort that one out!

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - Andrew-T

<< mind you I think the MOT will sort that one out! >>

'should'. Let's all hope so.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - Leif

I hate LED headlights, they often dazzle me. The problem is that if an oncoming car is tilted upwards due to the road sloping, it cancels out the dip, and they are far worse than normal lights.

An LED will last a long while, 50,000 hours it is said, so assume 3 hours use per day, 300 days a week, that's almost 1,000 hours, so 50 years in total for heavy use. The common failure mode for an LED is not the die (the part that glows) but the driver electronics. I don't think there is much excuse for such high prices. I have hand held torches that are as bright as car headlights and they cost about £100 each. I wonder if the far east will come out with replacement car headlight units at 1/4 the car manufacturer's price?

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - hillman

I would dispute that LEDs last 10 times longer the tungsten bulbs. I was tired of changing the sidelight bulbs on my Subaru, a fiddly job although do-able. So I bought a set of LED bulbs, intending to put them in the next time one of the sidelight lamps failed. Reading the packet (something I always do afterwards !) I saw that the bulbs were only to be used ‘off road’. So I put them away until I saw that the newer cars always were fitted with bright daytime running lights (DRLs). So I fitted them only for one to be dud. They were years old by that stage, although by a leading maker. So I bought a fresh set. When I fitted them they looked better than the tungsten bulbs so I was pleased. Both failed within a week. I’m sure that I was not the only one who bought them. I replaced them with tungsten bulbs.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - kiss (keep it simple)

A few years ago I started replacing my kitchen downlighters with LED's.They were cheap no brand ones from Amazon and they were rubbish. All faded and then went phut within a year. Then I splashed out on some Philips lamps. They have been 100% reliable. I have since installed over 80 of these in a relative's house and 3 years on, again no failures. Buy decent models from a reputable brand and they should last the life of the car.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - Engineer Andy

A few years ago I started replacing my kitchen downlighters with LED's.They were cheap no brand ones from Amazon and they were rubbish. All faded and then went phut within a year. Then I splashed out on some Philips lamps. They have been 100% reliable. I have since installed over 80 of these in a relative's house and 3 years on, again no failures. Buy decent models from a reputable brand and they should last the life of the car.

A former electrical engineer colleague of mine said that often the point of premature failure in LED light fittings was, other than the general quality of the fitting, the robustness (quality) of the control gear and/or transformer/power module.

He said that many of the LED lights, even from reputable manufacturers, and especially early generation designs, did not like being switched on for relatively short periods of time, then off for the same, then on again, presumably for the same reasons that compact fluorescents don't either. This meant that, in buildings at least, lighting systems that were used on timers and PIRs were susceptable to failure after as little as 2 years, costing vastly more because of the higher light fitting costs.

Whilst car lights tend to be used more constantly (though full beam ones less so), the nature of the fittings which don't appear to be modularised mean that in some circumstances a small number of failures can result in the whole unit needing replacement in order to pass an MOT, costing far more than the equivalent bulb cost of a halogen lamp, especially when fitting time is included.

I just wish they'd only started fitting LEDs once the issues surrounding the reliability of the secondary components had been resolved, which doesn't look likely to have been accomplished yet. Just like with electricity 'smart' meters [1st gen], they appear to cause more problems than they were supposed to fix. It wouldn't be so bad if replacing them was cheap and easy.

A former electrical engineer colleague of mine said that often the point of premature failure in LED light fittings was, other than the general quality of the fitting, the robustness (quality) of the control gear and/or transformer/power module.

He said that many of the LED lights, even from reputable manufacturers, and especially early generation designs, did not like being switched on for relatively short periods of time, then off for the same, then on again, presumably for the same reasons that compact fluorescents don't either. This meant that, in buildings at least, lighting systems that were used on timers and PIRs were susceptable to failure after as little as 2 years, costing vastly more because of the higher light fitting costs.

Whilst car lights tend to be used more constantly (though full beam ones less so), the nature of the fittings which don't appear to be modularised mean that in some circumstances a small number of failures can result in the whole unit needing replacement in order to pass an MOT, costing far more than the equivalent bulb cost of a halogen lamp, especially when fitting time is included.

I just wish they'd only started fitting LEDs once the issues surrounding the reliability of the secondary components had been resolved, which doesn't look likely to have been accomplished yet. Just like with electricity 'smart' meters [1st gen], they appear to cause more problems than they were supposed to fix. It wouldn't be so bad if replacing them was cheap and easy.

I used to get mine from Amazon cost £1 or 6 for £5 and soon learnt they were rubbish, but found that the control unit was the biggest problem in that they get very hot and end up failing

the leds I use now have been reliable so far and been installed over 2 years but did notice they have a larger heat sink in the base of the bulb which is probably why the cheap ones don`t last

as for car bulbs, I see no reason why they can`t fit led bulbs the same as OEM fitted bulbs apart from light spread which could be cured by using newly designed lenses especially for leds, there appear to be plenty of people that would buy them so it could be a money maker for the OEMs leds don`t have to be as bright as they are, circuits can control how bright they are and light spread can be better controlled

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - SilverArt

Tail lights are just as bad. £300 to be totally non-eco friendly and replace a large lump of plastic containing the sealed for life rear light cluster all because an indicator had failed.

To put it in to perspective that is more than I've spent on bulbs for cars (three cars at a time in some years) in 53 years of motoring!

If you're looking at LED running time in thousands of hours, don't bank on it, I'll be generous: 48000 miles (6 years old) at an average of 30mph gives 1600 hrs of running time, then look at how long an indicator led is actually on, perhaps 8 hours maximum.

The manufacturer doesn't see it as a Quality issue but did offer a small "goodwill gesture". Net result, the dealer lost a Customer (for service and for any make of new vehicle), the manufacturer lost any chance of a future vehicle sale... as will any manufacturer/dealer that will not offer free replacement of lights to me at least for my lifetime of the vehicle ownership.

Just my opinion of course but if any manufacturer can design and manufacture something like this that is obvious to the Customer, what chance do we stand on the bits we can't see?

Tail lights are just as bad. £300 to be totally non-eco friendly and replace a large lump of plastic containing the sealed for life rear light cluster all because an indicator had failed.

To put it in to perspective that is more than I've spent on bulbs for cars (three cars at a time in some years) in 53 years of motoring!

If you're looking at LED running time in thousands of hours, don't bank on it, I'll be generous: 48000 miles (6 years old) at an average of 30mph gives 1600 hrs of running time, then look at how long an indicator led is actually on, perhaps 8 hours maximum.

The manufacturer doesn't see it as a Quality issue but did offer a small "goodwill gesture". Net result, the dealer lost a Customer (for service and for any make of new vehicle), the manufacturer lost any chance of a future vehicle sale... as will any manufacturer/dealer that will not offer free replacement of lights to me at least for my lifetime of the vehicle ownership.

Just my opinion of course but if any manufacturer can design and manufacture something like this that is obvious to the Customer, what chance do we stand on the bits we can't see?

They have no need to make LEDs like they do now, apart from profit, years ago when I bought second hand cars (never more than £500 each) I used to replace all interior bulbs and external bulbs except headlight/MB with led bulbs and never had a problem

I had an old Rover 416 tourer N reg that I replaced all bulbs on as the originals kept blowing, never did find the cause, so replaced the lot, someone rear ended it and smashed the light clusters but although the led bulbs were bent they still worked

I doubt the new type would put up with a smack like that and still work, but I am of the opinion that OEMs could carry on making the old style clusters but use the led replacements that have been used for years and work perfectly well, and cheap to replace

I think one of the main issues with LED lights in modern cars compared to fitting replacement bulbs in older ones is that the modern cars often have clusters of single LED lamps spread over an overall fitting (e.g. DRLs, brake and indicator lights), perhaps that cannot have one lamp replaced when it develops a fault.

You see this with the similar fittings on the latest street lights and school/children going to 'from school orange warning lights that have been changed to LED - so many, including some fitted just weeks or months ago are already losing several individual LED lamps, but I suspect they cannot be replaced individually, especially as they must be so small and perhaps even permanently attached (soldered?) to the rest of the light fitting. It used to be so much easier just to change one bulb.

IMHO these LEDs don't seem to be as reliable as their proponents like to make them out to be, and their higher replacement cost (likely due to their complexity) and lower-than-expected reliability is more than cancelling out the gains in effeciency.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - thinkpad

Deleted - didn't mean to reply to this message

Edited by thinkpad on 21/11/2018 at 09:34

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - expat

This sort of thing doesn't encourage me to get a new vehicle. What with no spare tyre, electronic parking brakes, nagging beeps from assorted warning devices, keyless start which can be hacked and now extortionate costs for things which often get smashed in supermarket car parks. I think I shall hang onto the old bus as long as it keeps going.

This sort of thing doesn't encourage me to get a new vehicle. What with no spare tyre, electronic parking brakes, nagging beeps from assorted warning devices, keyless start which can be hacked and now extortionate costs for things which often get smashed in supermarket car parks. I think I shall hang onto the old bus as long as it keeps going.

Yep - that's what I'm currently doing.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - gordonbennet

Yep - that's what I'm currently doing.

Indeed, i think we are legion.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - John F

Not that new. My 2005 Audi A8 was apparently the first production car with LED DRLs. They will allegedly last the life of the car (ha!) - which for me is much longer than the unduly young age (partly thanks to the UK's now scandalously overcautious MoT test) at which most cars are scrapped. Thankfully they can be switched off, and usually are during bright daylight journeys. I sometimes wonder if just one of the several bulbs failing would result in MoT failure.

(partly thanks to the UK's now scandalously overcautious MoT test)

Is that the MOT test that ensures all cars on the road "should " be legal at least one day a year.

Without it the the mind boggles at the state cars would be used in.

Car I owned in the 1970's were legal at the time but the corrosion on them would mean they were scrapped now unless repaired. In reality they should have been scrapped then but time were different.

The approx. £50 annual fee is a bargain (our local indy charges £40).

In a perfect world where cars were correctly maintained and owners regularly checked them for obvious faults (lights, tyres etc) the test could be deemed "overcautious" but the reality is without it we would be surrounded by deathtraps.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - galileo

(partly thanks to the UK's now scandalously overcautious MoT test)

Is that the MOT test that ensures all cars on the road "should " be legal at least one day a year.

Without it the the mind boggles at the state cars would be used in.

Car I owned in the 1970's were legal at the time but the corrosion on them would mean they were scrapped now unless repaired. In reality they should have been scrapped then but time were different.

The approx. £50 annual fee is a bargain (our local indy charges £40).

In a perfect world where cars were correctly maintained and owners regularly checked them for obvious faults (lights, tyres etc) the test could be deemed "overcautious" but the reality is without it we would be surrounded by deathtraps.

You make a valid point, unfortunately we also are surrounded by roadworthy vehicles driven by idiots, which I would suggest are a greater danger.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - John F

..... the test could be deemed "overcautious" but the reality is without it we would be surrounded by deathtraps.

No-one is suggesting to be without it, just considerably less onerous - as in some other countries.

You make a valid point, unfortunately we also are surrounded by roadworthy vehicles driven by idiots, which I would suggest are a greater danger.

The faulty nut behind the wheel indeed comes in many different guises. Very little morbidity is down to unroadworthy vehicles.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - Avant

I wonder if a morbid driver is dangerous - I suppose any emotion behind the wheel is undesirable!

(I think you meant mortality.)

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - thinkpad

When manufactured properly LED lights can last the life of the car - you only need to look at dash lights. However much of it is made to a budget and corners are cut heavily which is why they fail.

After replacing the bulbs in our house with LEDs, one of the brand kept failing every 3-6 months. Funnily enough, the cheapest brand bought from Quality Save has been the best - out of the 3 bulbs none of them have failed after a year. Also 3 Asda own brand bulbs bought 3 years ago are still working fine.

The one in the living room (can't remember brand but paid £6 - 1500 lumens - being the brightest in the house) has started to flicker after nearly 2 years.

Edited by thinkpad on 21/11/2018 at 09:36

When manufactured properly LED lights can last the life of the car - you only need to look at dash lights. However much of it is made to a budget and corners are cut heavily which is why they fail.

After replacing the bulbs in our house with LEDs, one of the brand kept failing every 3-6 months. Funnily enough, the cheapest brand bought from Quality Save has been the best - out of the 3 bulbs none of them have failed after a year. Also 3 Asda own brand bulbs bought 3 years ago are still working fine.

The one in the living room (can't remember brand but paid £6 - 1500 lumens - being the brightest in the house) has started to flicker after nearly 2 years.

I was told by electrical engineer colleagues that quite often the problem (at least with LED lights in buildings) is down to poor control gear/power modules as much as the 'lamp' part itself. And the more they are switched on and off over short periods, the worse this is as well.

Additionally, they said that lots of 'standard' LEDs in the home don't like being in harsh environments - high or low humidity, same for ambient temperature, e.g. cooker hood lamps, ones going in damp/cold sheds and garages, etc.

The wide variation in thermal conditions and humidity in car engine bays doesn't seem to be conducive either - so unless the units are properly shielded from the environment (or in the case of heat, have methods to dissipate it) and have robust electronics, then it's no surprise that they don't last anywhere near as long as stated on the packaging.

I must admit being surprised at how many previously well regarded brands are producing seemingly poor quality equipmenty these days, or at least (with cars) how many car manufacturers are happily specifying and installing such low quality kit in their cars whilst at the same time professing how 'reliable' they are.

Certain major parts might not need so much maintenance as 10-15 years ago, but if an increasing number of parts are part of in-in-one fitments that cost several hundred pounds to replace when the previous ones cost under £10, then to me that isn't an advancement, but a ruse to increase profits.

new led lights - Bulb change up to £1000 or what - gordonbennet

Pardon me for asking this, but why are people swapping perfectly good standard bulbs for these led thingies, bad enough when the maker fits them at manufacture stage for no good reason other than keeping up with the current fad for bling, but why are people convincing themselves these are necessarily good things.**

And yes on good cars standard bulbs will last around half the life of the vehicle and cost literally pennies, if they don't last then either the bulbs are cheap rubbish or the charging system does not give constant voltage or the fittings are poor allowing excess vibration.

Yes its true some makers have deliberately designed their cars to make bulb changes as difficult as possible, but like with EPB's and lack of spare wheel space, one does not have a gun held to their head to buy the junk, also good bulb makers like Osram do make higher than normal quality bulbs, usually labelling long life, the OE front and rear sidelight bulbs in my then 11 year old Landcruiser were starting to darken, so they now have long life Osrams in place, i've seen LC's with leds in front sidelights, they look awful.

Lastly many led's give a garish cold light, which looks really naff on older cars which didn't come with led lights originally.

** yes there are rare times when a specialist led can be a good improvement, ie if your car is fitted with only one reverse light a sooped up led (quality is expensive here) can make things much better for you, and if your older red light lenses are fading then a red led can be considerably cheaper than replacing lenses which often means complete light assemblies @ £££, but for general things like headlight and sidelight bulbs i just don't get it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/11/2018 at 11:55

Pardon me for asking this, but why are people swapping perfectly good standard bulbs for these led thingies,

Look on most single make forums and there will be countless threads about the best bulbs to buy with posters getting all excited and moist because their new bulbs are a slightly different colour thus making them more visible from Mars.

Its called modifying your car, people have been doing it since the car was invented. Back in the 70's when new cars had Lucas 40 watt tungsten sealed beam headlamps that gave about as much light as a couple of glow worms (LED DRL's are probably brighter) it was normal to replace them with a pair of Ciebie H1 55 watt halogens that not only gave out more light but had a far better beam pattern.

Thing was when fitted those lights did not blind the car you were following or were about to crash into since you had just blinded the driver.

Not felt to need to upgrade lights since my first purchase with decent factory fit halogens. I have resisted the expensive option of first Xenons and now LED's despite sales persons assuring me that my car would be unsalable in 3 years time. As we know all sales persons lie and I have never had a problem getting a decent price. In truth I have never beeen asked if any car has the Xenon or LED option.