Seat leon - Electrical probs - Oli rag
My son has a 63 plate seat Leon with a damaged tailgate,which we have just replaced with a used item from a breakers, unfortunately this was from a model with led inner tail lights.

We swapped over the inner light units to use his original units which use filament lamps. All the electrics appeared to be the same except one which fed the n/s connector for the heated screen. To get around this we again swapped over to the original small control unit from his damaged hatch.

The problem now is that the inner lamp units don’t work and nor does the windscreen wiper. The tailgate lock and release DOES work as does the high level stop lamp.

Have I caused a major problem or something that can be sorted with canbus programming?

Edit—- son now tells me that the rear wiper is working, but light aren’t still.

Edited by Oli rag on 20/10/2018 at 14:41

Seat leon - Electrical probs - elekie&a/c doctor

Have you used the wiring loom from the original tailgate?

No, we used the new loom.

Edited by Oli rag on 20/10/2018 at 18:02

That could be the problem. Very likely to be slight difference in the wiring arrangement. Think you need to fit the original harness.

That could be the problem. Very likely to be slight difference in the wiring arrangement. Think you need to fit the original harness.

Have just swapped over to the original harness, but still no inner tail lights working. He also tells me that the display shows the boot open, which is the same as it was.

Any idea where we can find the interior fuse box on this? The owners manual shows it under the drivers side dash, but can't see it. We have checked fuses in the under bonnet fuse box which appear all ok.

There is a plastic panel to the right of the steering column, this pulls forward to reveal the fuses and diagnostic socket. Don't think the lights are fused on this model. If the display shows boot open,then the tailgate latch may be faulty. This can prevent circuits in the tailgate working correctly.

Swapped over both parts of the tailgate latch and release handle but still have the original faults.

Do you not think this could be a canbus problem?

I will assume everything was working ok before the tailgate swap. If all the old parts are in the new tailgate,then it should not be a problem. The can network only receives and commands signals from the lighting and various switches to operate the electrical components via the body control module. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins?

Yes everything was fine before we started! Tried the battery disconnect for 10 mins and went over the connections again checking for bent pins but nothing untoward found.

Still have the same probs after. Got my son to drive me around and confirmed what he'd said about the rear wash wipe working, but here's the strange bit, only when the car is moving. When you stop it stops working again?

As the hatch is still showing unlocked is that perhaps the cause of the other problems? On top of that, now that we have had the battery disconnected we have various warnings on the instrument panel - dsc, traction control and tyre pressure faults. I think we are going to have to get a professional involved.

Thanks indeed for your advice, I do appreciate it' s difficult without the thing in front of you.

Absolutely.Fixing cars "hands on" is hard enough ,trying to fix them remotely is a real challenge. I still think the problem is related to the tailgate open issue. This will inhibit some circuits. The warning lights showing after a battery disconnect should extinguish after a short drive.