Dealer insists car must be registered early - PeakyP
Hi,
My wife’s PCP ends in September so we went shopping for a new car in May, with the intention of collecting it in September - which we have been clear about from the start. Although it is the same make the new car is from a different dealer.

The dealer contacted us to say the car will be ready to collect in mid July, but I don’t want it then as I don’t want to be paying for two cars in July and August. The dealer says it has to be before September because emission regs are changing, but she is very vague and it sounds like a yarn to me. She suggested that we could do a voluntary termination to get rid of the current car early, but by my calculations we haven’t paid off 50% of the loan (and never will as the balloon payment is over 50%). She won’t take it in p/ex as she says it’s not worth the settlement value (despite being 5k miles under its limit, scratch free and front tyres are 100 miles old).

Can she make us take the new car before we want it? How can I avoid owning 2 cars for a couple of months?

Confused and seeking advise please!

Many thanks in advance.
Dealer insists car must be registered early - Manatee

Have you signed an order? It's a contract. What does it say?

Have you paid anything yet?

Yes, I have paid a deposit but haven’t signed the paperwork. Not very clever, I know. The deal was through carwow if that makes a difference.
Dealer insists car must be registered early - Big John
The dealer says it has to be before September because emission regs are changing, but she is very vague and it sounds like a yarn to me.

Nope it's not a yarn - It's to do with the Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP), any thing sold from Septermber must have had this done (in the UK)

May be a few pre Sept bargains coming up!

Edited by Big John on 23/06/2018 at 01:24

Dealer insists car must be registered early - Falkirk Bairn

>>Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP

Lots of car makers will ditch models - any existing stock will have to be registered before September.

Higher emissions is a problem, that & low volume models will be ditched as the work & cost involved in passing the new tests makes particular models a problem.

e.g. Subaru have dumped their diesels, the XT Forester is being sold off with modest reductions on pre-reg models. BMW hybrids are/were delayed in the last 6 months as there were issues meeting the new regulations.

Okay so that is a real thing, but when we ordered the car it was in expectation of a September delivery as that is when the current PCP ends. We didn’t order a pre-reg car so don’t see it is relevant, unless the dealer is trying to pass off existing stock as new? That was the first car we ever bought on PCP - how do others make sure that delivery of the new car coincides with finishing with the old one?
Dealer insists car must be registered early - daveyK_UK

I read a rumour (the person wasnt able to back it up with any evidence) that he was told FIat will register all UK passenger vehicle stock with the 2.0 diesel engine (not alot of models) prior to September?

Dealer insists car must be registered early - Manatee

The obvious course here, unless the new September registration is important to you, is to ask that the car be registered and sold to you at the end of August.

Dealer insists car must be registered early - RobJP

The obvious course here, unless the new September registration is important to you, is to ask that the car be registered and sold to you at the end of August.

... at a considerable discount to the previously agreed price ...

Dealer insists car must be registered early - KJP 123

If car is registered before 1st September it will be on old plate. Won't this affect future resale value?

Dealer insists car must be registered early - Leif
Do you have emails confirming the delivery date? If so, then surely they are changing the terms of the agreement. I imagine they can register it to you at the end of August.
Dealer insists car must be registered early - Eyeball119
It’s not a yarn unfortunately. As mentioned above, the law is changing. It took me over a month to order a new car as VW and Audi have stopped production of most of their vehicles to comply with the change. The only options I could have were pre-built vehicles that were ready to be registered. I was quoted 23 weeks delivery time for a factory order!
Dealer insists car must be registered early - Leif
Delivery times for Polos are longer than that.