VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - Leif
I bought a 2018 Polo a week or two ago. After five days the front wipers stopped in torrential rain on a dual carriageway. Five minutes earlier I was on the M3 and it would have been very dangerous had they failed then. I collected a loan car last Saturday and this evening on the way home from the ice rink the front wipers failed, then restarted but only on the slow speed. And the auto start failed. The car was the same apart from the colour and wheels. One such failure is not unreasonable given that faults do occur, but two in a short time scale on two different cars? It suggests the car has a systematic problem.
VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - nick62

It suggests the manufacturer of the wiper motor / control system has a problem maybe, (I don't think VW manufacture their own electrical components)?

It suggests the manufacturer of the wiper motor / control system has a problem maybe, (I don't think VW manufacture their own electrical components)?

Same thing. The driver does not care who made a component. The vehicle manufacturer is responsible for the car. They chose the component supplier, and tests the subsystems.

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - Finguz

Do you not remember the recent scandal with the VAG and emissions? They need to recoup their losses :)

I'm guessing you mean systemic too.

Edited by Finguz on 10/04/2018 at 23:51

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - daveyK_UK

you need to inform VOSA of your experience

VOSA does not exist.

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - RobJP

VOSA does not exist.

Unfortunately, pedantic people do exist however.

You know exactly what was meant. This is a dangerous defect that is worthy of a recall, and if you (and others) inform DVSA (was VOSA) then such a recall becomes more likely, safeguarding drivers.

To go all petty as someone doesn't know that VOSA merged with DSA to become DVSA says a lot more about you than it does anyone else, none of it particularly favourable.

VOSA does not exist.

Unfortunately, pedantic people do exist however.

You know exactly what was meant. This is a dangerous defect that is worthy of a recall, and if you (and others) inform DVSA (was VOSA) then such a recall becomes more likely, safeguarding drivers.

To go all petty as someone doesn't know that VOSA merged with DSA to become DVSA says a lot more about you than it does anyone else, none of it particularly favourable.

There was no need for such an unpleasant response that is somewhat offensive. I was not being petty or pedantic given that VOSA does not exist, and no I did not know what you meant. Can you point to any source that states that a failure of a car component such as the wipers should be reported to a government agency?

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - Brit_in_Germany

Leif, I think most people would have understood what DaveyK was referring to when he referred to "VOSA" and to me you comment did seem unnecessary.

The link for reporting a safety issue is here:

www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-ser...t

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 11/04/2018 at 11:25

Leif, I think most people would have understood what DaveyK was referring to when he referred to "VOSA" and to me you comment did seem unnecessary.

The link for reporting a safety issue is here:

www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-ser...t

Well I didn't and his abrasive tone was not called for. Your link states:

"If you find a serious defect that affects the safety of your vehicle, one of its parts, or an accessory, report it to the manufacturer immediately."

Sorry about the f********. This is ambiguous given that I rang the dealership ASAP, as I have done with previous safety related issues such as a car which accelerated spontaneously.

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - Brit_in_Germany

Strangely, the vosa.gov.uk site still exists.

Sorry about the f********. This is ambiguous given that I rang the dealership ASAP, as I have done with previous safety related issues such as a car which accelerated spontaneously.

Blimey. That word that is starred out is simply f and then ormatting. Quite why that is seen as vulgar I know not, but it rather messed up the meaning and made it look like I was being rude!!!!

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - SLO76
I personally don’t think it’s a good idea to buy a very early example of any new car. It takes a while to iron all the bugs out.
I personally don’t think it’s a good idea to buy a very early example of any new car. It takes a while to iron all the bugs out.

I was one of the earliest VW Up owners, a wonderful car, the most reliable car I’ve owned.

“I was one of the earliest VW Up owners, a wonderful car, the most reliable car I’ve owned.”

You were lucky, this time maybe you aren’t. Almost every new model has teething problems over the first couple of years. The UP although basically sound was never the best city car for reliability particularly early examples which suffered from a fair number of usually minor problems. I’m confident VW will find a solution to your wipers though. Our previous gen Polo has been a great wee car (now at 70,000 miles) but it has had a number of annoying but minor problems with brakes and door locks.
www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5017573/M...l

Edited by SLO76 on 11/04/2018 at 06:25

Without doubt cars will have more issues when first launched. And yet I remain sceptical about these surveys:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/most-rel...l

Looking at city cars in the above we see that the Skoda Citigo is very reliable, the VW Up not so. And yet both are made in the same factory with the same mechanics and electrics, the differences being cosmetic in the form of body panels and interior trim. So what is going on?

The survey is presumably statistically meaningful as they surveyed enough people.

However they massage the data in two ways. Firstly they take into account how long a vehicle was off the road as a measure of the seriousness of the fault. So that adds in the responsiveness and competence of the garage, not just the car fault. Secondly the Up has some fancier versions with more options, and I suspect that people who buy the Up are more likely to have fancy options, which increases the likelihood of faults. My Up was basic, with little to go wrong. Maybe there are other explanations I have not though of but the wide divergence between two cars that are essentially the same is odd.

Here is a survey from an insurer that shows the Polo (previous model) to be very reliable:

www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/318

In my case the garage have been very good in dealing with this, and they were able to fit in with my schedule, so I cannot complain. I have found that the dealer makes a big difference.
“Looking at city cars in the above we see that the Skoda Citigo is very reliable, the VW Up not so. And yet both are made in the same factory with the same mechanics and electrics, the differences being cosmetic in the form of body panels and interior trim. So what is going on?“

Largely down to different types of owners and their different expectations. VW owners trading down from a Golf or a Polo will be disappointed by the cheap trim inside the UP but an older buyer coming from a ten year old Fiesta into a Citigo will not feel short changed. The typical UP owner also covers higher mileages with many users running them as commuters. You’re right, there’s more involved in these surveys than the headline date says.
“Looking at city cars in the above we see that the Skoda Citigo is very reliable, the VW Up not so. And yet both are made in the same factory with the same mechanics and electrics, the differences being cosmetic in the form of body panels and interior trim. So what is going on?“ Largely down to different types of owners and their different expectations. VW owners trading down from a Golf or a Polo will be disappointed by the cheap trim inside the UP but an older buyer coming from a ten year old Fiesta into a Citigo will not feel short changed. The typical UP owner also covers higher mileages with many users running them as commuters. You’re right, there’s more involved in these surveys than the headline date says.

Jeremy Clarkson has said the same as you, and I'm sure it plays a role, maybe big.

I was one of the earliest VW Up owners, a wonderful car, the most reliable car I’ve owned.

Interesting,

the 2 people i know who have had a VW up (one had the Up, the other had the identical Seat Mi) found them poorly built (component quality) and with bad paint work.

One needed a gear box replaced.

Honest John has also constantly said the quality of the Up/Mi/Citigo is hit and miss

Edited by daveyK_UK on 11/04/2018 at 11:23

Interesting,

the 2 people i know who have had a VW up (one had the Up, the other had the identical Seat Mi) found them poorly built (component quality) and with bad paint work.

One needed a gear box replaced.

Honest John has also constantly said the quality of the Up/Mi/Citigo is hit and miss

There is an UP owners forum. The common gripe is the gearbox which used to rattle a bit, and sometimes make a clunk when changing gear. Mine makes a clunk. The casing is thin to keep costs down. But most owners seem delighted. There are few if any gripes about the paint. Many happily downsize from big cars, as they love the driving experience and practicality. Mine was basic, but solid.All of the reviews refer to the good build quality. The RAC man who visited when my battery was flat - my fault - said he owned one and it was the best car he'd had. A local garage said they liked it too.

Maybe the forum attracts the more positive owners, cos I don't doubt your acquaintances experiences. I suspect your two people criticise the basic nature of the build but I might be putting words into their mouths. Ah well, it's only a car.

The loan car functioned perfectly this morning, so it must have been a glitch. Odd though.
The loan car functioned perfectly this morning, so it must have been a glitch. Odd though.

Does it have auto wipers? Maybe you’ve got it set to auto and the car is turning them off. I hate this function on our Honda CRV.
VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - RichT54

The capability of auto wipers vary quite a lot between manufacturers. On the two Hondas I had (Accord and CRV) the auto wipers were not very responsive, especially in light rain or drizzle. In contrast, those on the Audi A3 were excellent and responded well to the prevailing conditions. The system on the C-HR is not quite as good as the Audi, but better than the Hondas.

Edited by RichT54 on 11/04/2018 at 12:30

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - Manatee

You are the common factor Leif.

My grandfather was the same. Every watch he had packed up after a couple of weeks and wouldn't run again.

You are the common factor Leif.

My grandfather was the same. Every watch he had packed up after a couple of weeks and wouldn't run again.

Ah, but my previous cars have never had such issues. In fact they've mostly been perfect. And I use the VW Connect app to monitor my driving. My trip this morning is described as "Gentle driving style". The 'score' is 93% which indicates good use of gears and brakes, well okay, a rough estimate since it's a dumb app. The IAM had no issues with my driving either, apart from teaching me to accelerate and brake a bit more enthusiastically.

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - alan1302
It suggests the car has a systematic problem.

No, it does not

VW Polo - Two 2018 Polos, two failures - Manatee

I suppose it raises the question of whether it is an epidemic fault, or a coincidence. You know what Ian Fleming (I think) wrote - "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action".

As to whether it is VW's fault or its supplier's - you can be sure that VW will have battered the supplier on price and the supplier will have made the component as cheaply as possible within his contract. VW has had that sort of problem before (TSI toothed timing chains).

Edited by Manatee on 11/04/2018 at 14:23

It suggests the car has a systematic problem.

No, it does not

If a car has faults, and they all do, then someone having a fault is expected. So the fact that I got a fault is just luck. If 1 in 1000 cars have that fault, then the chance that I will see it in the next car is 1 in 1000 i.e. improbable. So seeing it again suggests that the probability of seeing it is high i.e. that it is a flaw in the design, the manufacturing method, or the materials. Of course chance is such that I could see the same fault twice in a row even if it was very rare.

In fact the first failure was due to a failed switch, the second clearly was just a glitch, so I don't know what to conclude.

My best advice for you would be to relax and enjoy your car

happy motoring

My best advice for you would be to relax and enjoy your car

happy motoring

The fact that the second failure is not at all the same is reassuring. And yes that is exactly my view. I must admit modern cars are really quite amazing. It is full of toys, and has a wonderful 'infotainment' system which allows use of apps from my iPhone including Music and Maps. I do have a question about tyres, which I will ask in a separate thread.

Agree,
The fact that most owner now rarely if ever lift the bonnet in 3 years of ownership with no adverse affects is testimony to the improvement