2012 VW Golf TDi Match Bluemotion Tech - Advice on a Horrible Noise Please... - Ms Karen Laubscher

Hi all,

I'm new to this site so please forgive if this has already been answered.

My car has done around 135k and I've just driven back from Europe.

I started to hear an odd knocking and put it down to a drop link on suspension, which I confirmed at the garage yesterday, but there was an underlying very low "rumble" when I depressed the clutch, though at the time I couldn't fathom exactly when it occured {noisy road, wind/rain} Not a wheel bearing rumble, it sounded like it was under the front of the car, in or under the engine.

I put it on a ramp yesterday as the rumble was a lot louder and seemed to get worse as the day wore on. I thought at first it was a blow near the silencer on my exhaust as it appeared to be under my seat but then I could feel it through the pedals. It then became apparent that when I put my foot on the clutch pedal the rattle and rumble was much louder. Nothing is loose, no holes, no play on wheels, everything in order apart from a very slight knock on suspension as suspected. Under the bonnet you can hear a bit of a rumble or rattle while it's idling, very loud and scary when the clutch is depressed and it goes away when I actually drive.

I asked a mechanic mate and he said it sounds like the fly wheel...(which will cost around 700 +/-) and I do trust him because he's always looked after my cars for me (I'm a DIY kinda lady, always tried to do my own maintenance, but these new sealed engines beat me!) ...but I'm unsure..... I'm no qualified mechanic but I thought that the flywheel would be quieter when the clutch pedal was pushed in? Trev hasn't actually properly looked at it yet so it could, of course, be the flywheel and something else too...

Can anyone help please?

2012 VW Golf TDi Match Bluemotion Tech - Advice on a Horrible Noise Please... - gordonbennet

It does sound like clutch/flywheel/thrust bearing problem.

The only other issue could be, and this is almost impossibly unlikely so don't get worried, is worn thrust washers on the engine main bearings, i've actually seen them so worn that when the clutch was pressed you could see the crank pulley move forward slightly at the other end of the engine...but as i said the chances of this are minute.

Sounds like it the box will have to come off for full diagnosis and fixing, and sounds like your mechanic is worth hanging on to too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/03/2018 at 22:27