Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - loadsofpugs

2009 308 2.0 HDi wifes car bought last summer cuts out but would start again after a few minutes this happened a lot of times but no pattern hours to weeks Diagox no faults at all tested several times lately is has been worse had to tow it home but always started the next day till last week flattens the battery trying to start it took and charged overnight refitted then started then yesterday it would not start so towed it home again charged battery then started again. So far I have unplugged the 3 plugs on the fuse box all connectios nice and bright have checked all the fuses for tightness on the plate on top of the battery. When it stops it is just like the ignition has been turned off. Any help please. Iain

Edited by loadsofpugs on 16/03/2018 at 19:41

Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - elekie&a/c doctor
Before getting involved with anything technical,I would suggest you change the diesel fuel filter.
Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - hardway

When this happens pay close attention to the rev counter,

When cranking is there ANY movement of the rev counter needle?

Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - loadsofpugs

Cant remember will check next time I am going to change fuel filter as I have no history of it being changed, but what are you thinking?

Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - hardway

Oh it's just one ofthose side of the road breakdown hints.

A needle bouncing on the tach means it's likely got signal from the crank angle sensor,

CAS signal means most likely it's getting injector pulse so diesel should be getting into the cyls.

No needle bounce means possible CAS failure,

No CAS signal and it most likely will give your symptoms.

They can go open circuit when heated and "Get better" when it cools down so it can be intermitent.

'Course a far more accurate test would be the check for RPM signal on aq scanner but I'm assuming you don't have access to one.

I have Diabox & a MaxiiDiag Elite MD802 so yes I can measure the RPM in live data. Also I have some fault codes P0441 Emission P0642 Sensor Ref Voltage P0171 Too lean Bank 1 not sure if any of these are relivant

Right so P0642 is a low V on the reference so get a meter and check the V on one of the 5V units.

CTS or similar.

And does the live data show rpm on crank?

By CTS you mean coolant temp sensor

Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - edlithgow

I have Diabox & a MaxiiDiag Elite MD802 so yes I can measure the RPM in live data. Also I have some fault codes P0441 Emission P0642 Sensor Ref Voltage P0171 Too lean Bank 1 not sure if any of these are relivant

That sounds like fuel starvation (see above re fuel filter replacement) ,

One older vehicles this can also be caused by restriction/blockage of the fuel tank breathing leading to a partial vacuum in the tank. This will vary with fuel level, time since last frill, cap tightness etc and will go away overnight.

I know next to nothing about new diesels, though.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/03/2018 at 10:11

Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - elekie&a/c doctor
The problem with the cheaper scanners is that they can be very misleading and produce incorrect information.The first and last fault codes would .generally be only found on a petrol engine.

Cts is the coolant temperature sensor but any sensor that runs on the 5 V reference from the ECU.

The p0642 is the sensor reference Voltage,

So metering it at an unplugged sensor that runs this voltage will give whatever actual votage is there.

Obviously it "Should" be 5 V.

And when connected to say the CTS 5V in 4.5 out would be a cold engine,

!.5 would be a reading for a hot engine.

If the 5V cuircit is low then the reading coming out will be lower and will give running faults.

Same with any other 5V sensor.

Check the unplugged Voltage at any sensor that runs from the 5 v reference circuit

Peugeot 308 SW 2.00 Hdi - Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi Cutting out for over 6 months - Gibbo_Wirral

Diagbox is the best tool for the job, its all about how you use it. Get the paramters read on every part of the ECU.