advantages of a "big four" engine ? - Bilboman

Just out of curiosity - does a large displacement four cylinder engine have any particular advantages? My brother-in-law is about to take delivery of a top-of-the-range (Spanish market) Mazda CX-5 which has, apart from all the bells and whistles, a 2.5 litre four cylinder engine. Skyactiv engines have been getting quite a reputation for fuel economy but I am surprised to see such a large four-pot engine in production.
I always thought that a large engine naturally meant a straight or V-6 to improve torque and reduce friction etc. Colt/Lonsdale once shoehorned a pretty large 2.6 litre four cylinder engine into the Galant model, and the postwar Riley "Big Four" was highly regarded in its day, so am I missing something?

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - Engineer Andy

They have the same engine (and car) available Down Under as well as in the US/Canada, and in the 3/6 there too for the range-topping version (185hp) in lieu of the UK's 1.5 petrol only available in the bottom-of-the-range SE 5 dr. I'm surprised that its available at all in any EU country, as I thought the reason why it wasn't was because it nudged Mazda's average CO2 rating per car over the EU's current limit, or at least enough that it made selling these higher CO2-producing car uneconomic as they get fined for every car they sell based on the ave CO2 over the limit across the range, not just for the cars that are themselves over the limit. Its the reason why Aston-Martin 'produced' their little posh copy of the Toyota iA, the Cygnet, so they wouldn't be fined so much per car in general sold.

Shame, as apparently (see John Cadogan's [no-nonsense Aussie] review on YT of the 3 with that engine, not sure if he's review the CX-5 with it in yet) its really very nice indeed. What WILL be interesting is what Mazda will offer when (rather than if, it now seems) they introduce their now award-winning (it hasn't done anything...yet, especially proving it is reliable as well as very economical and good on performance) Skyactive-X HCCI petrol engines in a year of two's time.

Both the 3, 6 and CX-5 definitely need the existing Skyactive-G 2.5 on their upper range models to give them a really decent amount of poke as opposed to the 2.0, which is OK, but nothing more (even when uprated to 145/165hp - better on power than the standard 120hp version, but no more torque).

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - bazza

Mazda is interesting as they bucked the trend for extreme downsizing with their Skyactive units. I read that manufacturers are now adding cc rather than continually reducing, in order to achieve better real world emissions figures, something that downsized turbos have not been wholly successful with, the small units relying heavily on boost to produce the required torque, which in turn can lead to overheating and the need for over-fuelling I guess the Ford 1.0 Ecoboost is a good example of this, being not particularly economical and possibly a bit fragile in the real world. Note also VAG increasing their Tsi capacity to 1.5 cc and developing these 48v battery systems to lend a helping hand to the ICE. I expect we'll see all the manufacturers coming out with similar systems over the next few years. I wonder if this will mark the end of the manual box too?

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - gordonbennet

Easy lazy torque from low revs goes with large swept volume per cylinder, petrol or Diesel, and makes for lazy easy driving.

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - drd63

I had a 2.4 Honda Accord TypeS. Beautiful engine, creamy smooth and free reving but probably not as much torque as you might expect.

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - craig-pd130

With modern injectoin systems and combustion chamber design, big fours can be efficient, and they do have lower pumping losses than an equivalent six ... the final evolution of the Porsche 968 was a 3 litre inline four.

However, they usually need a balance shaft (or two) to smooth them out (which eats into the big four's advantage of lower frictional losses), and the flat-plane crank can't give as progressive and creamy a torque delivery as an inline or vee six, because all the pistons come to a dead stop every 180 degrees ...

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - badbusdriver

Different kettle of fish i know, but the 1910 fiat S76 "beast of turin", had a 28,353cc 4 cylinder aero engine. It produced 290HP at 1900RPM. But think about that, just under 7.1 litres per cylinder!. Well worth a youtube search for video footage of this incredible machine in action, in the meantinme, here is a pic;

assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2014/...g

Edited by badbusdriver on 12/02/2018 at 20:55

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - SLO76
Compare two identically sized engines one a 4cyl and one a 6 and you’ll notice the lack of low speed pull on the 6. Larger cylinders provide more low speed pull but will never be as smooth as a 6. Best examples I can think of were the Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 V6 which was silky smooth but slower on the road than the much cheaper 4cyk 2.0, in fact it felt no quicker than the base 1.8 16v and the 1.8 V6 Mazda used in the MX-3 was a slug compared to an MX-5 1.8. Fuel economy suffers too as you’ve more moving parts and less low speed pull thus gearing needs altered to suit.
advantages of a "big four" engine ? - skidpan
Compare two identically sized engines one a 4cyl and one a 6 and you’ll notice the lack of low speed pull on the 6. Larger cylinders provide more low speed pull but will never be as smooth as a 6. Best examples I can think of were the Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 V6 which was silky smooth but slower on the road than the much cheaper 4cyk 2.0, in fact it felt no quicker than the base 1.8 16v and the 1.8 V6 Mazda used in the MX-3 was a slug compared to an MX-5 1.8. Fuel economy suffers too as you’ve more moving parts and less low speed pull thus gearing needs altered to suit.

All very true. Mates wife had a Lexus with a 2litre 6. Very quiet and smooth but no low down power at all and dreaful economy.

Another mate swapped his 1.8 Golf (4 cylinder of course) for a 6 cylinder 2 litre BMW. Quiet, smooth, lovely to ride in and absolutely dreadful to drive.

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - badbusdriver

For a short time in the UK, back in the early 80's, you could buy a 'Londsdale'. This was an Australian built mitsubishi galant, but while the mitsubishi had a 2.0 4 cyl, the Lonsdale had a 2.6 4 cyl. It produced about 120BHP, or about 20 more than the galant (and most equivalent 2.0 saloons of the time). I believe it was the same engine that was used in the early shogun/pajero.

advantages of a "big four" engine ? - John F
Compare two identically sized engines one a 4cyl and one a 6 and you’ll notice the lack of low speed pull on the 6. Larger cylinders provide more low speed pull but will never be as smooth as a 6. Best examples I can think of..........

.....were the Jaguar XK in line six engines, up to 700cc per pot; and the large in line sixes of Rolls Royce/Bentley. It was decades before the rougher V8 was thought to be necessary.