307 SW - Replacement car - RichardW

Jacked up my 307 yesterday, and the OSR sill collapsed.... now has a hole in it from the rear wheel arch to the B pillar - and the NS isn't much better on close inspection. Ooops...

So, replacement car time. Obviously I am going to ignore all sensible advice, and buy something a) French b) diesel and c) used (since I have the diag kit and can mostly DIY stuff) but I am interested to see any other thoughts. I am going to take over the C4 Picasso (with the diesel of doom) and use that for work, so SWMBO will have the 'new' one. She likes the high seating position of the Picasso; it does 11-12k a year ( a mix of local driving - we live in a small town so regular 10+ mile runs; and longer trips). Budget is 8-9k.

The dead 307 is also a 1.6 16V deisel of doom - and will got to the scrap man with its original turbo, EGR valve, injectors and clutch at 140k. They're not all bad!!

Edited by RichardW on 03/02/2018 at 20:09

307 SW - Replacement car - Nomag

Never owned a French car, but had a 308 on loan for several days recently and was genuinely impressed, apart from lack of rear seat space. It was a 2.0 150 diesel with EAT6 gearbox. Went as far as looking at what they went for second hand but chickened out and got a Leon! The potential complexiies of the electronic handbrake, no heating controls except on touch screen, and AdBlue are what put me off. However, it was economical (48mpg with spirited driving), rode very nicely and felt substantially built inside.

FWIW my dad is on his third C-Max with the diesel of doom, I had never heard of this term until he had the second, I find them refined, economical and nice to drive. He does 12-15k a year and all number one and two both did 80k miles with absolutely no mechanical problems of any sort. They have all just had routine annual servicing at Ford.

307 SW - Replacement car - Andrew-T

Jacked up my 307 yesterday, and the OSR sill collapsed....

Presumably you jacked it at the correct jacking point ? :-)

307 SW - Replacement car - Big John

Does seem rust is back

A friend had a Citroen Picasso that rusted through on the sills on last years MOT. He had it welded but has just "traded it in"

307 SW - Replacement car - Avant

There are plenty of good French cars about - certainly far more praise than blame about Citroens on here - but they are more vulnerable than Japanese cars to abuse or neglect by previous owners.

As Mrs W likes to sit high up, you could get her another Picasso, or perhaps try a Toyota Verso. A Mazda 5 and Ford C-Max could go on the shortlist as well.

307 SW - Replacement car - SLO76
“ A Mazda 5 and Ford C-Max could go on the shortlist as well.”

Both of which can be had with the diesel of doom if you wish. Despite the much higher than average failure rate many owners don’t don’t suffer any problems. But ask anyone who’s tried to taxi one or speak to a mechanic who’s familiar with them beyond 70-80k and they’ll tend to be very negative about them. Japanese is best in general and both the Mazda 5 1.8/2.0 petrol and a Ford C-Max with the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol would last well. A Picasso would be comfortable but I’d rather have the 2.0 diesel or the newer 1.2 petrol turbo.

The deed is done...

Started looking at 2011 on cars to get the 8V rather than 16V engine, but then realised that later cars with the 120PS Euro 6 engine were not that much more expensive, and had better MPG and cheaper tax, and over the life cycle would not cost much more. So started looking for one of those; after trying out a few, decided that a 5008 would fit the bill - but not in Allure spec, as they come on daft 215/45R18 tyres. Unfortunately, most are this spec - we found one in Edinburgh that was the lower Active spec, but as we got there to look at it, some folk were piling out of it, and went on to buy it. D'oh! Headed next door to the Citroen garage, and had a drive in a current model C4 Grand Picasso - after initially rejecting it based on the seating position, it was deemed to be OK. Salesman then pipes up with the fact that they've got some pre-reg ones, and there's a sale on - can have a 'new' one for £17k. A few more sums, and again it's not that different cost if we keep it for 10-12 years (which is likely!), so we paid the deposit. It was reg in Sep last year, probably keen to get rid before the 18 plates come round shortly.

So there's a bit of a turn round! Never had a 'new' car before, and never had a choice of colour (this one is mid metallic blue).

307 SW - Replacement car - Avant

Looks like a great deal! You clearly like Picassos, and the heavy depreciation on big French cars won't be a big issue as you're intending to keep it long-term.

There's something a little surreal about a two-Picasso family.....

Edited by Avant on 17/02/2018 at 00:19

Although there are 2 here, there are now 4 in the family - my Parents and Sister both have 5 seat versions.... looks like we don't do imagination here! That will be worth a pic if we get all 4 in the same place.

I don't actually need a 7 seater, but the old one is 10 years old and done 113k now, so makes no sense to get something else for my 15k / year cross country commute - I should be able to get another 2 years out of it. As long as I check the sill drains so it doesn't rot away.....

307 SW - Replacement car - expat

As long as I check the sill drains so it doesn't rot away.....

Now is the time to do the rustproofing while it is brand new and before any rust starts.