Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 - violent juddering/clunking in reverse - KerryClaire

Hi All

I'm having some problems with my car and would be really grateful for any input. Hopefully someone might have experienced the same thing, have ideas of what it might be or know a cheaper way to go about fixing it.

My SX4 (not the 4 wheel drive) seems to have developed a fault. It is just over 4 years old with a low mileage at 23,000 miles. When reversing at full steering lock or close to it, the car seems under increasing stress before something gives way and it suddenly clunks and jolts. It feels very violent to the point where the first time it happened I thought I might have driven over a curb or the wheel was getting stuck against something. It will happen repeatedly until I stop but is fine going forwards or reversings on a gentler curve.

The garage carried out all the checks they could without incurring too much cost but they couldn't see anything and said they would have to strip it down to find the problem but it would be expensive and likely a problem with the inner drive shaft or the gear box, costing £500-£1000+ to fix. Before I go ahead I just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions or cheaper alternatives to fixing it?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 - violent juddering/clunking in reverse - galileo

You say it only happens when reversing on full lock. Have you had new tyres recently? Slight wear in steering linkages could allow the tyres to contact some part of the car when reversing,this would cause judders. Do full lock forward manoeuvres cause the same issue?

Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 - violent juddering/clunking in reverse - madf

Do both sides of the car - viewed from the front appear level?

A broken FRONT coil spring could lead to one side being slightly lower and driveshaft or suspension fouling in reverse.

OR a weak gearbox or engine mounting...