all types - Road Tax refund, unused months. - braniff7

I SORNed the car, via the DVLA.gov site, on 31st December ( a Sunday). Tax was up to the end of April so I expected 4 months refund. I only got 3. I notice the wording on the letter with the cheque is "...from the date we received notification..."

Are refunds calculated by humanoids, and therefore they are claiming they received notification whenever they went back to work after New Year? I would have thought it would all be automated and my SORN would be acknowledged by "the system" on December 31st.

Grounds for a complaint perhaps? Is there an ombudsman who might take an interest? I think its sharp practise.

Many Thanks - Braniff7

all types - Road Tax refund, unused months. - Bolt

it depends on whether you used the log book or reminder letter, log book sorns straight away- reminder letter sorns from 1st of next month which maybe what you did?

Thanks bolt, but in fact I used the V5. Renewal wasn't due.

braniff7

all types - Road Tax refund, unused months. - skidpan

Thanks bolt, but in fact I used the V5.

If you did it by post it used to be from the date it was sent. Posted on a Sunday means no collections thus it would be collected and processed on the first, the date you were refunded from. In the days before online SORN I always used to post the unused tax disc back a few days before the end of the month to ensure I got a full refund.

all types - Road Tax refund, unused months. - oldroverboy.

OP says he did it online?

all types - Road Tax refund, unused months. - argybargy

Presumably DVLA staff had the Monday off, then the Tuesday off in lieu of the Sunday, so didn't get back to their desks to process your application till the Wednesday. According to the .gov website they will only refund whole months.

How else do you think that deficit is going to be paid off?

Edited by argybargy on 12/01/2018 at 10:27

all types - Road Tax refund, unused months. - Bolt

according to dvla website, if you apply the sorn on site and with- V5 -its immediate,it doesnt mention a delay as with V11 it starts from 1st of next month.... so there is a problem there if it doesnt happen

For the sake of closure, here's the outcome - my error. I could have sworn it was taxed until the end of April, not the end of March.

Anyway, the lesson here is that I did succeed in declaring SORN on December 31st, which was a Sunday, and not infringing January as I suspected I had. The three months refund was therefore correct, as pointed out to me by the DVLA, in a polite and patient tone which suggested to me that they are well practised in dealing with idiot queries like mine all the time.....

Regards - braniff7