Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - movilogo

I am looking forward to change my car sometime next year.

While I do 10k miles a year it is variable. I could be doing starship mileage in one month and next months only short journeys. This makes be worried about diesels (or I should not be?). Also , I am not sure what will happen to resale value for diesels with so much diesel bashing in media.

I want:

• petrol (reason cited above)
  • SUV/Crossover
  • AWD
  • automatic
  • with AEB (auto emergency brake)
  • with ACC (adaptive cruise control)
  • new price not over £30k (I'll possibly buy a 1-yr old)
  • not hybrid

For petrols, the choice with above features are limited.

So far I figured out following models only

1. Suzuki Vitara (quite small)
  2. SX4 S-cross (slightly bigger but still small)
  3. Toyota RAV4 (pricey and bit larger than my need)
  4. Mitsubhish Ellipse Cross (not yet in market but boot seems small)
  5. Nissan Qashqai

I currently drive Kia Ceed. I like Kia Sportage but they don't offer AEB in petrol auto or ACC in any trim at all.

Questions:

1. Am I being paranoid about diesel? If opting for diesel there would be many options.

2. Am I better off holding on to my current car (no pressing need for a change) until AEB/ACC becomes more mainstream and public sentiment against diesel encourages more manufacturers to introduce petrol auto AWD SUV?

3. What are the other cars I missed?

- not too keen on VAG DSGs, especially with short 3-yr warranty

Edited by movilogo on 20/12/2017 at 11:50

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - daveyjp

Subaru with "Eyesight" technology.

As per Subaru website, Eyesight is offered only in Outback (pricey SUV) and Levorg (estate) models.

Also, it appears that I was wrong on Nissan Qashqai. Their petrol auto model is actually FWD and not AWD.

I think without AEB cars can't get NCAP = 5 rating anymore. It was supposed to be mandatory soon.

Honda introduced Sensing - similar to Eyesight. But I think it is not yet offered in UK models.

Edited by movilogo on 20/12/2017 at 12:09

Eyesight now available across the full range including Forester and XV - timely review on this very site!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/subaru/subaru-xv-2.../
Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - merlin

What about the new Volvo XC40 or XC60? The XC60s start above £30k list but that doesn't mean too much these days given how many are bought on contract hire where the cost per month is king. I get the impression that the list prices are inflated to make punters think they are getting great deals...

Anyway there are now some good contract deals appearing on XC60s - www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/car-leasing/volvo/xc60....e

Here are some deals for the XC40 - www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/car-leasing/volvo/xc40....l

If you want to buy outright then try carwow or drivethedeal.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Sulphur Man
New Subaru XV 2.0 auto. Much improved new model just released. Top of the class for off road prowess
Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Metropolis.
Not with a CVT it isn’t!
Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Happy Blue!

I hate to break the concensus, but at 10,000 miles a year IF the driving is suitable, I don't see why you shouldn't buy a diesel. I have driven diesels with DPF for over seven years doing only about 8,500 miles pa. However my driving is such that the car gets a run on the motorway daily and a longer run at speed at least every fortnight.

It totally depends upon the type of driving the OP is going to do and where he is going to do it. Is AWD really necessary? Would M&S tyres on a FWD car be a suitable alternative? Certainly a lot cheaper to buy and run...

Edited by Happy Blue! on 21/12/2017 at 13:07

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Manatee

I hate to break the concensus, but at 10,000 miles a year IF the driving is suitable, I don't see why you shouldn't buy a diesel.

Same here. Never had a DPF problem.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - gordonbennet

I hate to break the concensus, but at 10,000 miles a year IF the driving is suitable, I don't see why you shouldn't buy a diesel.

Same here. Never had a DPF problem.

There might be a common thread here of people who take an interest in the workings of, and look after their vehicles properly, and don't just abuse them as disposable white goods, which is the fate of probably the majority of cars.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - RT
Not with a CVT it isn’t!

Have you test-driven a Subaru with as CVT? It's an excellent gearbox.

I'd also be interested to know about the bad expereince this poster has had with a Subaru CVT.

From what I've seen they appear to be more than capable on even the most demanding off road tests.

Edited by daveyjp on 21/12/2017 at 15:30

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Metropolis.

Yes, a lineartronic and I found it woeful, the performance itself was alright, but that gearbox makes it sound like a vacuum cleaner. If by off road you mean through a boggy field or a snowy lane then fine, subarus are great for that as they are so light. Try any real obstacle without momentum and the vacuum cleaneer is at it again, only this time the wheels don't even spin! Why Subaru persist with these dreadful gearboxes when they've most likely got ready access to great Aisin 6/8 spd t/c units I cannot fathom. A shame as most of the range are great cars otherwise.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Brit_in_Germany

The Alfa Stelvio lists at 35K but Drive the deal is under the 30K mark.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - SteveLee

What's the problem with hybrid?

There are some French options, for the money you could buy a new Peugeot 3008, the depreciation will make your eyes water, so I'd tuck five grand away and go for an ex-demo, or if you can hold off for a few months the Citroën DS7 looks fantastic - again you could buy mid-range new for £30K - but buying v1.0 of any car is a bit of a lottery - however nice it looks.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - daveyK_UK

petrol auto SUV?

has to be a suzuki or subaru

Not sure Honda do a petrol automatic SUV, happy to be corrected

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Alby Back
Dacia Duster, and lots of change.
Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Mike H

petrol auto SUV?

has to be a suzuki or subaru

Not sure Honda do a petrol automatic SUV, happy to be corrected

Yes, they they a 2 litre petrol CR-V with a 5 speed auto, but with the new model due next year that will all change. There is expected to be a 1.5 litre petrol turbo, but whether that will be available as an auto remains to be seen.

Edited by Mike H on 23/12/2017 at 17:46

After owning Kia, I've been spoilt by long warranty.

5-yr is fine, but 3-yr is too short. Some manufacturers do allow to extend warranty beyond 3/5 years but not all of them.

Volvo allows max 4-yr warranty. Toyota allows upto 10-yr/100k. Suzuki allows 2+ years at reasonable cost. Subaru's 5-yr warranty consists of 3-yr manufacturer + 2-yr power train only by UK importer. Merc/BMW allows to extend but very pricey.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Robsnextcar

Dear OP, I have been deliberating the same question as you....but I was also considering the 1'st April 2017 tax change....

If sticking with petrol then I keep coming back to the Suzuki Vitara & SX4 S-Cross, they are economical as they are lightweight and Suzuki is a very reliable brand.

One of my other considerations was a Toyota C-HR 1.2 Turbo petrol with AWD, again should be reliable also.

None of these are big or have massive boot's but you could always fit a Roof-Top Box....

Regards Diesel; as long as its a Euro 6 engine - i.e. after September 2015 I dont think we should have any worries...

If going Diesel then there are three which I would consider: Mazda CX-3 (small but again roof-top box); Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson.

I would only get the Sportage or Tucson if Registered after 1'st April 2017 - as to pay £140 per year tax instead of £190

I would be very interested to hear what you decide when the time comes.

Regards

Edited by Robsnextcar on 30/12/2017 at 19:35

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Nickdm
Maybe a Mitsubishi ASX? They offer a petrol engine and TC automatic.

Or, left field, the Ssangyong Tivoli?
Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Komo12k

Hey,

Have you seen the deals from these guys. My wife has just ordered an Evoque ed4 through them. The Great thing is about these guys is that you dont have to pay a processing fee, which we did at our last broker. (Link deleted)

We had the Evoque Puretech previously but no Nav (Killer), but we loved it. We've gone to the SE tech now, which is a cheap moidel, but comes with Nav and nice leather (or so i'm told)

I was worried about the diesel thing too, but figured if i lease it, i dont have to worry about it. Its been funded by lex - i guess its them that have to worry about it?

Edited by Avant on 16/01/2018 at 14:29

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Engineer Andy

James - what has this got to do with the issue at hand on this thread? Sound more like free advertising to me...if it is, watch out, as you'll be reported to the moderators who could easily bar you from the site.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Avant

Thanks Andy - I've seen it for myself and removed the link.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - grumpyscot

What about Honda - CRV or if you want a little smaller, the HRV

I'm on my third CRV in 12 years. My first one (Mk 1) bought at 44,000 miles is still going strong at 190,000. Then had Mk3, now Mk4. All have been petrol autos and extremely reliable, and comfy. I average 33mpg in the current one. All petrol auto CRVs are 4 wheel drive. Most diesels are only 2wd.

All have had cruise control - the most recent adaptive, though I rarely need to use it as I don't do motorway driving (not near any - nearest is 50 miles away!) and mostly do rural stuff.

Petrol, AWD, auto - which SUV? - Komo12k

I guess i was trying to address the Diesel question and its value for resale.. in my experience leasing gets rid of that worry.

Apologies if i broke any rules - just trying to help.