Vehicle security - hillman

I read an article in the news online that the cars now have become so easy to steal that it just takes a minute to unlock and start the car. With a device available over the internet it is possible to interogate the car key from the street and unlock the car. New car owners are resorting to the modern version of Krooklok. I still use one that I bought 20 years ago.

Does anybody remember the model that clipped onto the steering wheel and a pedal ? One of my acquaintances drove down a friend’s driveway after a convivial evening and ended up in the storm drain, buckling the car’s steering rods. He was new to crooklocks and had forgotten that he had put it on. He’d also put it around the brake pedal instead of the clutch.

Vehicle security - concrete

See a lot of them around too, more and more in fact. It does seem a good deterrent rather than relying on electronics. Cheers Concrete

Vehicle security - ExNHS

I tell my friend Richard that, one day, somebody is going to break into his Qashquai and steal his Crooklok

Vehicle security - John F

My 12yr old Audi recognises my fingerprint. I'm surprised that eye recognition, apparently cheaply installed on phones, is not widespread in cars by now, especially expensive ones. But perhaps car makers are secretly delighted that they are so easy to steal - a replacement will have to be made - so they are in no hurry to remedy the matter.

Vehicle security - Bolt

My 12yr old Audi recognises my fingerprint. I'm surprised that eye recognition, apparently cheaply installed on phones, is not widespread in cars by now, especially expensive ones. But perhaps car makers are secretly delighted that they are so easy to steal - a replacement will have to be made - so they are in no hurry to remedy the matter.

If eye recognition was that cheap it would have been put on cars years ago, and not many phones have it, fingerprint recognition is easier to install, and some cars allready as you know have it- and is better than eye sensor at the moment

fingerprint is easier to read, and at the moment not easy to bypass_ Yet!

Vehicle security - Theophilus

If an unscrupulous car thief wanted to steal my car, I would rather they used an electronic box than chop off my finger to deactivate the lock!

Vehicle security - Bolt

If an unscrupulous car thief wanted to steal my car, I would rather they used an electronic box than chop off my finger to deactivate the lock!

I think it will go to two part authentication eventually where you need fingerprint to unlock the door(each door could have seperate persons fingerprints) and iris id through the rear view mirror, or drop down camera, to start the car

all could be done through the remote unit they are small enough

Vehicle security - focussed

The only steering wheel lock that slows thieves down is the Disclock - it takes about 5 seconds to disable a Krooklock - it takes 5 minutes to get around a Disclock with power tools.

A disclock also stops airbag theft.

Vehicle security - Andrew-T

But these devices only prevent the car being started - it can still be dragged onto a low loader ....

Vehicle security - Andrew-T

... or even worse, dis-oculate you ....

Vehicle security - Ryan2008

Even i remember the recent news when thieves hacked the keyless start system of Mercedes in the West Midlands of England, shows clearly how defenseless your car can be.

Vehicle security - Harry Patsons

True, Mark Silvester, from the West Midlands Police crime reduction team, said car owners can use an additional tested and Thatcham-approved steering lock to cover the entire steering wheel.

Vehicle security - gordonbennet

I've just bought a Thatcham approved Stoplock for my Landcruiser, this thread has geed me back out of complacency, no it doesn't have keyless go (and neither do i want such pointless things) but they are valuable for parts and obviously an easy sale once exported.

I' ve seen those full steering wheel covers but don't really want to cart about a dustbin lid sized chunk of steel.

We have locked secure gates at home though the car if they got it started would make short work of those, i'm more concerned about the work car park to be honest, especially in the dark.

Vehicle security - veloceman
I use a steeeing wheel lock also.
I’m lucky to have a longish drive but still use it when I’m defrosting the car in the morning.