Hyundai Sonata 2015 - Got in my first accident... - Caa112

Hi, I recently got into a car accident. It was very minor but it was my first one and I'm not really sure what to do. I started to back up then saw another car backing up so I stopped to wait for them to go first. That person backed up right into my car. We exchanged insurance information but the thing that has me worried is the person accused me of hitting them when it was the other way around. When I told them that, they didn't admit fault. I asked for advice and someone told me to report it right away to their insurance because it can be seen as admitting fault if you don't report it. I would ask the person if they're going to try and file a claim on my insurance but I've had bad experiences with people lying before about accidents similar to this one. Also wondering if they file a claim on me and I file a claim on them if it would impact my insurance rate. Would appreciate any information or advice on the topic.

Would also like to add the damage to their car seemed pretty minor too. I didn't see any denting (but I might've missed it), and it just looked like some of the paint got removed.

Edited by Avant on 05/12/2017 at 10:38

Hyundai Sonata 2015 - Got in my first accident... - FP

You should report this to your own insurance company as a matter of course.

Maybe it's a good idea to inform the other driver's insurance company too.

In practice, neither insurance company will want to invest much time on the incident, as the damage to both cars is minor, but you will want to try to establish it was not your fault, as you were stationary at the time. However, unless you have witnesses, it will be hard to l prove.

What will happen is probably that the insurance companies will pay up to their respective drivers on any claim made. Your insurance premiums will probaby rise - a sad fact of life.

Edited by FP on 05/12/2017 at 11:49

Hyundai Sonata 2015 - Got in my first accident... - galileo

but I've had bad experiences with people lying before about accidents similar to this one..

Puzzled how you had these experiences if this is your first accident?

Hyundai Sonata 2015 - Got in my first accident... - Gibbo_Wirral

Can't say this often enough - get a dashcam. They're not expensive, just buy the best you can afford.

Today's society seems to involve around not admitting fault or lying to avoid the blame (and financial penalty).

Mine has recorded various incidents over the past couple of years and proven other drivers to be liars - nearly always commercial van drivers - and is worth its weight in gold.