any - 10% plus 2mph? - barney100

At last they got me, 35mph in a 30 limit, no excuses but I was under the impression you had a crtain leeway i.e 10 % plus 2mph. Is this right or pie in the sky?

any - 10% plus 2mph? - daveyjp
Some forces do use this guidance, but 10% plus 2 is when a ticket is issued, not the max speed you can get away with, that is 10% plus 1.

You may be offered a speed awareness course.

Edited by daveyjp on 20/11/2017 at 18:44

any - 10% plus 2mph? - RT

The ex-ACPO, now NPCC, guidelines suggest enforcement starts at 10% +2mph - so 34 would have been ok, 35 isn't.

The guidelines are optional by each police force and every officer can over-ride them when appropriate.

35mph true speed would have shown as 37-38 on your speedo - and technically, 31mph in a 30 is commiting an offence.

Time to man up, accept the Speed Awareness Course if offered and try to learn something from it.

I'm not preaching - all my "loyalty" points were just above the ACPO guideline.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - RobJP

The 'guidance' is to start enforcement at 10% + 2mph - so that generally means that you 'get away with' 34.

However, the police are entirely within the law if they issue tickets if you are doing 31 mph in a 30 limit.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - carl233

When there is money to be made and an unhealthy interest in fleecing the public leeways can be flexible, especially when the budget becomes tighter and more difficult.

When there is money to be made and an unhealthy interest in fleecing the public leeways can be flexible, especially when the budget becomes tighter and more difficult.

The simple answer, and how to bankrupt those horrible police then, is to stay within the speed limits.

In other shocking news, people who don't break the law don't generally find themselves being addressed as 'the defendant'.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - oldroverboy.

I was caught at 79 on the M4 5 years ago and got the chance of a "speed awareness course" which was 30 minutes of talking sense and 3 hours of d*****.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Middleman

Indeed. However, having seen a large number of drivers pass through the court system I have never seen one charged with speeding where the alleged speed was lower than the (Limit + 10% + 2mph) threshold for enforcement. Further than that, all forces in England & Wales generally offer a speed awareness course for speeds up to (Limit + 10% + 9mph). This avoids a prosecution and conviction and sees no penalty points imposed.

Motorists who exceed the speed limit are no more being "fleeced" than those who drive with no insurance. As has been mentioned, the remedy to avoid such fleecing is quite simple and entirely a matter for individual drivers.

Indeed. However, having seen a large number of drivers pass through the court system I have never seen one charged with speeding where the alleged speed was lower than the (Limit + 10% + 2mph) threshold for enforcement. Further than that, all forces in England & Wales generally offer a speed awareness course for speeds up to (Limit + 10% + 9mph). This avoids a prosecution and conviction and sees no penalty points imposed.

Motorists who exceed the speed limit are no more being "fleeced" than those who drive with no insurance. As has been mentioned, the remedy to avoid such fleecing is quite simple and entirely a matter for individual drivers.

Most accept a Speed Awareness Course or Fixed Penalty, which don't require a court hearing - only those grossly exceeding the limit and those refusing to accept a Fixed Penalty get a court hearing.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - argybargy

Exactly, but we should all know this by now, so its "game on" to prevent them from getting their hands on our hard-earned, and messing up our insurance premiums.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - P3t3r

16% over the speed limit, not exactly unreasonable. What do you expect if you speed past a speed camera? Also, as others have said, the speedo was probably reading higher.

31-33mph could be a bit unlucky. Anything over 34mph is really quite a long way off.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Andrew-T

However, the police are entirely within the law if they issue tickets if you are doing 31 mph in a 30 limit.

They are, but you can't easily tell when you are doing a true 30mph, as all speedos are made to over-read by anything up to 10% - in other words you have a safety margin. So as long as you keep tabs on your indicated speed you have no real excuse for 'speeding'.

In my experience the automatic radar-operated signs seem to give a pretty accurate indication.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/11/2017 at 23:36

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Smileyman

bad luck my friend, there is far too much focus on speed as a trophy target rather than safe driving .. true excessive speed can make driving unsafe, however driving within the speed limit may at times be unsafe too but is much less likely to be picked up.

Over recent decades the Police have lost much goodwill and respect from the public in my opinion. When and if the Police need any form of help and assistance they may well find it harder than in days gone by.

Over recent decades the Police have lost much goodwill and respect from the public in my opinion. When and if the Police need any form of help and assistance they may well find it harder than in days gone by.

Looking at both of your posts to this thread, got a chip on your shoulder ?

Most accept a Speed Awareness Course or Fixed Penalty, which don't require a court hearing - only those grossly exceeding the limit and those refusing to accept a Fixed Penalty get a court hearing.

Quite so. And the vast majority of that majority are detected by a remote unmanned device of some sort. I'm not aware of any of those being set to operate at less than the "10% + 2mph" threshold. My point being that it is virtually unheard of for enforcement to be taken below that threshold. It has been suggested that the threshold is "flexible" (presumably downwards) to generate revenue and it is my contention that it is not.

"...however driving within the speed limit may at times be unsafe"

Yeah, right. Unless you mean something like driving at 20mph in lane one of a normally flowing motorway, I tend to disagree.

Edited by Middleman on 20/11/2017 at 22:20

Quite so. And the vast majority of that majority are detected by a remote unmanned device of some sort. I'm not aware of any of those being set to operate at less than the "10% + 2mph" threshold. My point being that it is virtually unheard of for enforcement to be taken below that threshold. It has been suggested that the threshold is "flexible" (presumably downwards) to generate revenue and it is my contention that it is not

I yoo doubt that the "flexibility" is used for revenue - rather used for safety.

I yoo doubt that the "flexibility" is used for revenue - rather used for safety.

Well I contendthat it is scarcely used - if at all - for any reason.

Not at all, and I speak as someone with a clean licence with no speeding ticket to date. I do however see it for the money making scam it is.

<< I speak as someone with a clean licence with no speeding ticket to date. I do however see it for the money making scam it is. >>

I disagree. For starters it's not a scam - in the accepted sense - as the rules are clear and known to all. It's an attempt to 'persuade' drivers to moderate their speed by making them suffer a penalty when they don't conform. Most speed limits serve some purpose, though at times they seem arbitrary and the purpose not immediately clear.

It's very easy to be irritated if penalised, when one is convinced that one was driving safely, and no accident happened, did it? Everyone knows the rukes of the 'game'. But ref, that wasn't a penalty .....

<< I speak as someone with a clean licence with no speeding ticket to date. I do however see it for the money making scam it is. >>

I disagree. For starters it's not a scam - in the accepted sense - as the rules are clear and known to all. It's an attempt to 'persuade' drivers to moderate their speed by making them suffer a penalty when they don't conform. Most speed limits serve some purpose, though at times they seem arbitrary and the purpose not immediately clear.

It's very easy to be irritated if penalised, when one is convinced that one was driving safely, and no accident happened, did it? Everyone knows the rukes of the 'game'. But ref, that wasn't a penalty .....

I agree - speed cameras are there to hit speeding motorists in their pockets with the intention of improving road safety.

Not at all, and I speak as someone with a clean licence with no speeding ticket to date. I do however see it for the money making scam it is.

As others have said no, its not a scam. However, when measured against the myriad offences which go apparently unpunished because police resources are not targeted in their direction, it can, and occasionally does stick in the craw.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - alan1302

If it was a scam they would catch you doing less than the speed limit and then try and fine you!

It's not much of a money making scheme either - at least here in Barnsley as many cameras are no longer operational as they cost too much to run - how does that tie in with your money making scam?

It's not much of a money making scheme either - at least here in Barnsley as many cameras are no longer operational as they cost too much to run - how does that tie in with your money making scam?

Since the plethora of camera units came in countless sums have been milked from the motorist. Every penny made by these should go back in to the roads. In my opinion the motorist is an easy target for the Police and very useful for increasing funds when budgets are tight. So few front line Police yet they seem to have resource for milking the motorist.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - alan1302

Since the plethora of camera units came in countless sums have been milked from the motorist. Every penny made by these should go back in to the roads. In my opinion the motorist is an easy target for the Police and very useful for increasing funds when budgets are tight. So few front line Police yet they seem to have resource for milking the motorist.

Did you even ready what I wrote? They are not makig enough money to keep them running let alone to put the money into the roads and not topping up police budgets as many have been turned off as there is no money to pay for them.

Explain how having them not working is milking the motorist...

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Manatee

Did you even ready what I wrote? They are not makig enough money to keep them running let alone to put the money into the roads and not topping up police budgets as many have been turned off as there is no money to pay for them.

The fact that they are doing it incompetently doesn't excuse the deliberate placing of cameras, fixed and mobile, in many places where the limit is arguably lower than a safe speed, and deliberately to trap people.

Look at the number of cameras placed on the only safe overtaking stretch on many an A road.

The fact that they are doing it incompetently doesn't excuse the deliberate placing of cameras, fixed and mobile, in many places where the limit is arguably lower than a safe speed, and deliberately to trap people.

Look at the number of cameras placed on the only safe overtaking stretch on many an A road.

The issue about some speed limits being unreasonably low is a separate issue - for which there should be some sort of independent review process.

In the olden days, speed limits were rubber-stamped by officials but based on the advice of highway engineers and police traffic officers - nowadays they're set by politicians to placate their electorate.

The issue about some speed limits being unreasonably low is a separate issue - for which there should be some sort of independent review process.

I agree, but why put a camera there?

Similarly with those that are yards inside a lower speed limit. I lift as soon as I see the lower limit signs, but usually try to avoid braking and let the speed roll off if, as is usual, the start of the 30 limit (for example) is a quarter of a mile from the settlement or whatever. Having been trapped by this once, I am now wasting brake linings.

I like the countdown markers in some other parts of the country. No problem at all for me to slow down in advance if I know in time.

What really annoys people (other than those who deliberately flout limits) is when they are doing their best to drive legally and responsibly and they end up with points anyway.

And for all those smug beggars who say "just don't break the speed limit" well - (a) you do - everybody does, unintentionally, and (b) if you carry on driving long enough then you will be caught.

I should say I have no points on my licence right now, but I will be lucky not to be caught again - I drive on a lot of unfamiliar roads.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Bianconeri
There seems to be a perception amongst some (and I’m not suggesting that the OP is in this group) that it’s ‘safe’ to drive at the specified maximum speed because ‘it’s allowed’. Further, there seems to be a growing perception that it’s ‘OK’ to drive at the limit plus whatever margin is the convention because ‘you won’t get caught / prosecuted’. That then extends to ‘drive at what speed you like because there are no cameras on this road’.

Some of the excuses given to the local community speed watch are unbelievable. A group locally logged almost 200 drivers exceeding a 30mph limit by more than 10mph in one two hour period recently.

How about:

“You’ve got half a mile to reduce your speed to the limit”

“I can see the 40 signs ahead so it’s ok to do 40”

“There are no limits on country roads”

Please drive safely, within the limit at an appropriate speed, and keep your eyes on the road not the various distraction devices.

Edited by Bianconeri on 21/11/2017 at 08:39

any - 10% plus 2mph? - gordonbennet

The problem with speed is thats its become a black and white issue, where people who drive like idiots in housing estates past shopping streets and schools get the idea they are 'in the clear' whatever happens cos 'i wasn't speeding'.

We've all had idiots trying to push us to drive faster han is sensible in all sorts of conditions where to travel at the set limit would have been stupid in the extreme, and we've all seen the usual suspects (often enough with their own young children in the car) driving far too quickly in places where other people are about, hidden by parked cars vans and skips.

Common sense goes a long way, it still does on the road at least with the average policeman, ie if you don't take the Pand drive competently you are very unlikely to get a tug or nick even if you don't strictly adhere to the limit in place at the time.

I'm not convinced by the reliance now on electronic monitoring devices to control peoples speed, because the idiots out there try to beat the system by making up those invaluable 2 seconds lost by driving faster between the devices, the more challenged of which we see braking for each of the average speed cameras on such stretches.

I wish there were more real coppers on the road to stop and educate the unthinking, and if they prove to be those who cannot be told then to issue nicks, not just the speeders but the tailgaters/bullies and those who pull out in front of fast traffic in their 200bhp cars and accelerate away like the 850cc version the maker once offered in 1957 in order to cause as much distruption as they can, they are all out there.

My concern is that road policing will get privatised, probably G4S again, then everything will change.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/11/2017 at 09:26

any - 10% plus 2mph? - hillman

""...however driving within the speed limit may at times be unsafe"

Yeah, right. Unless you mean something like driving at 20mph in lane one of a normally flowing motorway, I tend to disagree."

The speed limit on the majority of country roads in the High Peak is 50 mph but you'd be foolish to travel at that speed in some areas.

Speed cameras were introduced in the afternoon in one of the local towns. The following afternoon the police chief at the 'station' called in six policemen and dressed them down for doing more the 30 mph on the way to work. Because the cameras were new, and the neccesity for people to get used to them, the authorities decided to set the threshold at 41 mph for the first week or two.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - concrete

No problem with observing the speed limit or the enforcement cameras. The problem for me is the way in which the police/local authorities go about the enforcement.

Where I lived previously I walked to the local down a residential road. It was a decent, wide straight road, but well used by pedestrians and children from the local schools. It was invariably a race track and an accident in waiting. When I spoke to the police Inspector in charge of the cameras he told me the LA had a say in where he sited them. The LA told me differently. So without calling them liars I tackled them again. They became very defensive and would not directly answer my questions. The main questions were these:

Why site the cameras on major arterial roads into/out of town, usually around the commuter hour? They blamed each other for this.

Why can't you site a camera on the road I use where regular speeding takes place, as a protection for pedestrians. The answer was waffle waffle and more waffle.

It came down to two things, which made me unpopular when I put it to them directly,

Firstly, the siting seemed more to do with revenue gathering from easy targets on good busy roads.

Secondly, any idea or site put forward by someone outside the 'magic circle' was classed as useless. This is because they didn't think of it first and it makes them look silly.

The police could engender real support for these cameras if the enforcement was seen to be used to protect the public where needed rather than so called more accident likely roads. Of course busy roads are more likely to have accidents, any fool can tell you that. Which is why drivers were speeding down our local roads to avoid the cameras on the main roads. QED.

God bless them!!!!

Cheers Concrete

Concrete: "the siting seemed more to do with revenue gathering from easy targets on good busy roads"

I wish that bit were true of our local police force/ council.

The limit on the main road at the bottom of our Close is 30mph, and changes to 50 about 200 yards closer to the next town, where it becomes a semi rural, unlit road overhung by trees. During the daytime most users of that road except the obligatory halfwits do adhere to the limits, but come nightfall you can hear them winding up on the corner before they hit the straight section where the limit changes to 50, and I'd swear some drivers must be doing 60, maybe even 70 whilst still in the 30mph zone. They would catch literally dozens if they put a camera at the bottom of our road, at least in the early stages of its installation, but there's currently absolutely no attempt at enforcement.

Worst of all there's a zebra crossing at the bottom of our road where I've literally had to run for my life to avoid being sent into orbit by some heavy footed goon who has his thousand yard stare fixed on that 50 sign rather than on the important stuff closer to his front bumper.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The speed limit on most main roads in the High Peak is indeed 50mph. But the limit on the minor non urban roads is 60mph. As a motorcyclist I prefer to use those minor roads where the visibilty is good. But watching out for tractors keeps me alert.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - FP

I wasn't going to contribute to this, but the way the discussion has gone makes it appropriate - perhaps.

I write having just opened the letter which offers me a speed awareness course. I don't really have much of a problem with it. I'm a pretty gentle - almost "mimsing" - driver these days, but I was caught by a mobile camera leaving a Hertfordshire village at 37 mph just inside the 30 mph zone.

It hardly needs to be said, but the van was well-concealed behind shrubbery as I approached it, though it would have been more visible to drivers coming from the other direction, i.e. entering the village. I spotted it only when I made the journey in the return direction a few days after receiving my NIP.

My initial reaction was that I should have been more observant. I'm afraid I don't feel particularly contrite about the actual speeding, considering that there were no schools, no houses, no side roads and little traffic - just hedgerows. In fact I was less than 100 metres from the national speed limit. But I was caught offending - "bang to rights", as they say. And my always-on sat nav would have bleeped at me, I'm sure.

So I'll do the course and hope to learn something from it - I'll be interested to see what.

Edited by FP on 21/11/2017 at 14:42

So I'll do the course and hope to learn something from it - I'll be interested to see what.

You'll learn that there are some really dim people with driving licences, if you hadn't realised already. And quite a few slightly resentful people who feel that they have been trying to comply and were nicked for few mph over when they should really get a medal (like me).

Don't be late. They'll send you away and you will either have to pay again or take the fine and points. One arrived late at mine, obviously keen to show how busy her schedule was. She was sent away, protesting.

I did a Hertfordshire one, it was at the Mercure, Watford IIRC. Quite useful and nowhere near as patronising as it might have been.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Bromptonaut

I did one at the Park Inn in Northampton but for an offence comitted in PLymouth. Really interesting and I learned quite a bit. We found our own places at cabaret style tables - all the women ended up sat together.

As Manatee says one or two idiots and at least one resentful.

I'd done one a couple of years earlier in Leicester for crossing a red light. Don't now how I did it becuase the camera is well known to me but I'd no idea until I got the NIP. Can only think I saw it as green and turned my focus to next lights in sequence - it was on a complex gyratory.

Mr resentful on that one had asked to be let off on basis of fear of being rear ended if he stopped. Got short shrift. He was also one of those who complains it's more dangerous making sure you stay at 30 (ie speedo watching) than letting it drift to 35+.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - concrete

argybargy and FP. Your comments prove my point. Personally I think it is disgraceful to hide or camoflage speed camera vehicles. Instead of enforcing the law they are waiting in hiding for people to transgress and then capture them. pretty poor show. If a camera vehicle is highly visible and drivers still get caught then that really is lack of due care and attention too.

If the police consulted locals and sited accordingly they would receive more support. There is no reason why they can't do this, they are MOBILE!!! It baffles me why they won't listen to the public on this issue.

Cheers Concrete

any - 10% plus 2mph? - madf

"Personally I think it is disgraceful to hide or camoflage speed camera vehicles."

Why? Do people not KNOW the speed limits where they are driving?

If they don't they deserve to be persecuted for the incompetent drivers they are -- or for being unable to read speed signs..

The blindingly obvious thing to do is drive at speed limits . Period. Numpties who don't and complain deserve everything they get. Period...

Prosecution is one thing - but persecution is quite another.

Personally I think it is disgraceful to hide or camoflage speed camera vehicles. Instead of enforcing the law they are waiting in hiding for people to transgress and then capture them. pretty poor show.

Why? Do you also disagree with unmarked police cars? I can't see much difference in principle. A clearly obvious speed camera becomes another speed-limit sign, but one which can have consequences if ignored.

Personally I think it is disgraceful to hide or camoflage speed camera vehicles. Instead of enforcing the law they are waiting in hiding for people to transgress and then capture them. pretty poor show.

I think what this demonstrates is that you want to be free to choose to exceed the speed limit as you think fit. You will only comply either when it suits you or when you see a clearly marked camera. 'Fraid it don't work like that (thankfully).

You might as well say the same about a police officer hiding in th ebushes to catch a burglar as he exits the premises he has just burgled. He's not enforcing the law either but simply catching the perpetrator.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - galileo

Regarding 20 mph limits, I saw a statement from a senior police officer that "they would only enforce 20 mph limits where there was a problem".

By the same logic speed cameras should only be sited where there is a problem, such a problem being many accidents or excessive speed for the location.

In recent years many previously NSL roads have had 50 mph limits imposed, many with 40 limits reduced to 40 mph.

Research has shown that the average speed of 80% drivers on a given road tends to be appropriate anyway, so if the limit is set at this level adherence is far better than if arbitrary limits lower than that.

In this country the only limits available at present are 30/40/50/60/70. In many cases a 5 mph increase (or decrease) might reduce offending and driver frustration.

Regarding 20 mph limits, I saw a statement from a senior police officer that "they would only enforce 20 mph limits where there was a problem".

By the same logic speed cameras should only be sited where there is a problem, such a problem being many accidents or excessive speed for the location.

In recent years many previously NSL roads have had 50 mph limits imposed, many with 40 limits reduced to 40 mph.

Research has shown that the average speed of 80% drivers on a given road tends to be appropriate anyway, so if the limit is set at this level adherence is far better than if arbitrary limits lower than that.

In this country the only limits available at present are 30/40/50/60/70. In many cases a 5 mph increase (or decrease) might reduce offending and driver frustration.

Excluding part-time 20s near schools, it's policy that 20 limits are only imposed where the road layout and street furniture make the limit self-enforcing - in other words, pointless as they achieve nothing extra.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Smileyman

I think what this demonstrates is that you want to be free to choose to exceed the speed limit as you think fit. You will only comply either when it suits you or when you see a clearly marked camera. 'Fraid it don't work like that (thankfully)

Very interesting concept, I wish the same level of attention was given to other road regulations, eg middle lane hoggers, or drivers who don't clear the snow off their car roofs ..to name just two examples of under enforced laws

I think what this demonstrates is that you want to be free to choose to exceed the speed limit as you think fit. You will only comply either when it suits you or when you see a clearly marked camera. 'Fraid it don't work like that (thankfully)

Very interesting concept, I wish the same level of attention was given to other road regulations, eg middle lane hoggers, or drivers who don't clear the snow off their car roofs ..to name just two examples of under enforced laws

The failure of some folks to adhere to one law or regulation does not mean that others can be selectively ignored to suit the convenience of an individual. I suffered a minor injury a couple of years ago when a cyclist ran a red light and turned right to go the wrong way up a one way street (which I was crossing). I’ve seen that happen a few times since so as it’s clearly not policed I can drive at 70 in a 30 zone......
any - 10% plus 2mph? - daveyjp

"By the same logic speed cameras should only be sited where there is a problem, such a problem being many accidents or excessive speed for the location."

Thats exactly how locations for fixed cameras are chosen - evidence of excessive speeding by a large number of drivers. A significant number of people killed or seriously injured as a result of accidents.

Edited by daveyjp on 22/11/2017 at 08:04

Thats exactly how locations for fixed cameras are chosen - evidence of excessive speeding by a large number of drivers.

I think some of the complaints in this thread are aimed at mobile speed cameras, which are presumably sited for the same reasons but are less predictable, and presumably are not known to the satnavs which sound a warning?

Personally I find the often arbitrary change of speed limit (outside built-up areas) making it much harder to remember how fast one may drive. In the 'old days' one was either in a 30, or on a NSL road. Now it can change to 40, 50 or 60 every half a mile or less. It may make sense to some officials, but it's harder for drivers on unfamiliar roads, or roads which one visits every year or so.

Edited by Andrew-T on 22/11/2017 at 09:36

I think some of the complaints in this thread are aimed at mobile speed cameras, which are presumably sited for the same reasons but are less predictable, and presumably are not known to the satnavs which sound a warning?

Mostly they are, which is why it pays to keep your stand alone satnav updated, and even if not using it as a sat nav, some (probably most) decent models, if set to ''traffic search'' which is where the company issued unit in my lorry is permanently set, will give audible warnings of fixed and regular mobile camera sites as you approach.

Unfortunately if on national traffic search it doesn't tell you the current speed limit, which it and most satnavs do if you just have it running without a destination set, but then you arn't on pre traffic search, can't win them all.

I prefer 'traffic' because i can scan the whole country in seconds, which is especially useful with early starts seeing as how so many motorways and truck routes are closed overnight for road worlh these days.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/11/2017 at 10:18

It strikes me that much of the debate here (such as setting satnavs to warn the driver of camera locations and the siting of fixed and mobile cameras) centres around avoiding being caught speeding. The emphasis should be on avoiding speeding. Then you won’t get caught.

Like it or not Parliament has decided that it is against the law to exceed the speed limit. Harping on about the “unfairness” of the various detection methods employed and the relative lack of enforcement of other offences is misplaced. As has been said, most speedometers usually over-record the real speed (they must not, by law, under record) and driving within the limit is part of the skill required to drive.

Just as an aside the “leeway” that is the original subject of this question is not there to provide an increase to the prevailing legal limit. It is in place to avoid excessive numbers of frivolous challenges being mounted against prosecutions where the accuracy of the measuring method used may be called into question. The principle is that where a driver claims he was not exceeding the limit the device must be shown to be considerably more inaccurate (and thus harder to discredit) if it shows the vehicle’s speed at (Limit + 10% +2mph) than it would be if it shows the speed at (Limit + 1mph).

I can only speak as a very high mileage driver.

An experienced driver is constantly scanning for things such as moving shadows behind cars/trees, odd lights appearing on parked vehicles, stray animals and the hundreds of other things we are looking for at any moment, especially in built up areas, most of us have the common sense, as said, that we would''t actually need posted speed limits, we're going about at a sensible speed for the prevailing conditions which is often well below the limit anyway.

The world isn't perfect and neither are we, we're better off looking for all the hazards that an experienced driver is, at all times, than we are wasting the valuable seconds checking speedos and looking for cameras, constantly refocusing in case we happened to have drifted over by a fraction.

We arn't calculating 10% + 2 and trying to keep below 35, most of us are trying our best to stay under 30 in 30 zones, treating it as a limit not a target.

We arn't calculating 10% + 2 and trying to keep below 35, most of us are trying our best to stay under 30 in 30 zones, treating it as a limit not a target.

In simple terms, a posted speed limit means that if an official measuring device detects your vehicle doing more than that speed (plus a small margin) a prosecution may follow. It usually indicates the existence of possible hazards such as children appearing from behind parked vehicles, dogs running into the road, etc.

It does not mean [a] it is possible to drive at this speed until you reach the termination sign, [b] you should try to do that anyway, or [c] you may do 40 in order to pass a driver doing 25 and preventing you from doing [b].

It strikes me that much of the debate here (such as setting satnavs to warn the driver of camera locations and the siting of fixed and mobile cameras) centres around avoiding being caught speeding. The emphasis should be on avoiding speeding. Then you won’t get caught.

Like it or not Parliament has decided that it is against the law to exceed the speed limit. Harping on about the “unfairness” of the various detection methods employed and the relative lack of enforcement of other offences is misplaced. As has been said, most speedometers usually over-record the real speed (they must not, by law, under record) and driving within the limit is part of the skill required to drive.

Just as an aside the “leeway” that is the original subject of this question is not there to provide an increase to the prevailing legal limit. It is in place to avoid excessive numbers of frivolous challenges being mounted against prosecutions where the accuracy of the measuring method used may be called into question. The principle is that where a driver claims he was not exceeding the limit the device must be shown to be considerably more inaccurate (and thus harder to discredit) if it shows the vehicle’s speed at (Limit + 10% +2mph) than it would be if it shows the speed at (Limit + 1mph).

Hear, hear. Society should not be about ‘not getting caught’ but the plethora of in-car driver distraction devices designed to warn of cameras suggests that’s now far more important than not breakng the law.

Similarly, the ‘I was only just in the 30 zone’ argument is plain wrong. There is no grey zone that allows you to accelerate to NSL as you reach the end of the 30 limit and no rule that says you have to be travelling at the NSL when you reach the sign. Do you apply the same logic as you enter a 30 zone from NSL and assume the mythical ‘grey zone’ gives you a distance to decelerate? Probably not but you should be at 30 when you pass the sign....

We all make mistakes, experience is about minimising or eliminating the impact of those mistakes. If the mistake involves breaking the law then there may be consequences. Purposefully not obeying the law is another matter.

"Similarly, the ‘I was only just in the 30 zone’ argument is plain wrong."

I hope that is not a reference to my post higher up. I was very aware that this point might come up and carefully avoided any justification of my speeding; the details I gave were simply to put my offence into some context. I was caught "bang to rights", as I said.

Yes, I did say I wasn't feeling contrite - maybe that's what has irked some posters. There is a difference between legality and morality, though the former reflects the latter, often with some gap between them as time passes and certain things that were regarded as awful become less so - and the reverse happens, too.

In the circumstances under which I was caught I'm afraid I wasn't at all upset at having offended - more irritated with myself for allowing it to happen. I should have done better.

I shall continue to strive to drive within the law.

Edited by FP on 22/11/2017 at 17:57

any - 10% plus 2mph? - Theophilus

When I've been driving in France I've observed that as I approach many towns / villages with, say a 50 kph limit, there is another roadsign posted a couple of hundred metres before entering the speed restricted area - warning of the upcoming limit, so avoiding the issue of drivers feeling that they have been caught out by an unforeseen speed limit.

"Similarly, the ‘I was only just in the 30 zone’ argument is plain wrong."

I hope that is not a reference to my post higher up. I was very aware that this point might come up and carefully avoided any justification of my speeding; the details I gave were simply to put my offence into some context. I was caught "bang to rights", as I said.

Yes, I did say I wasn't feeling contrite - maybe that's what has irked some posters. There is a difference between legality and morality, though the former reflects the latter, often with some gap between them as time passes and certain things that were regarded as awful become less so - and the reverse happens, too.

In the circumstances under which I was caught I'm afraid I wasn't at all upset at having offended - more irritated with myself for allowing it to happen. I should have done better.

I shall continue to strive to drive within the law.

No. It’s one of the many excuses offered up to the local community speed watch team. Speed limits are an absolute though and my very last word on this is that we should all remember that they are limits and not targets. Like you I got 3 points once upon a time (2005) and was intensely annoyed that I’d allowed the situation to happen - even though 78 in a 70 limit is within what many regard as ‘the tolerance’. My speedo must have been showing 85 so a total mea culpe, paid the £60, took the points and paid more attention in the future.
any - 10% plus 2mph? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I "calibrated" my speedo using a satnav or a GPS app on my phone. I know that 75mph indicated is a true 70mph and 33mph indicated is a true 30mph.

any - 10% plus 2mph? - hillman

My first speeding fine was in the late 1950s. I was riding my motorcycle which I had just serviced, among other things adjusting the chain and tappets. It made the motorcycle much quieter. I realised that somewhere along the way I had learned to judge the speed by hearing instead of keeping an eye on the speedometer. I asked the very polite policeman (in a Humber Super Snipe) if he would drive in front of me at a steady 30 mph so I could see how accurate my speedo was. My speedo matched the Humber exactly.

My second fine was in Broken Hill, Zambia in the late 1960s. I had broken down on approaching BH, a trivial thing, a broken wire, and a Zambian driver had stopped to help and pointed out the wire. I was driving down the main street looking for the other driver so that I could thank him when I went through a radar trap doing 40 in a 30 zone. I knew that I was doing 40 but the senior police officer in charge of the radar said I had been doing 50. No point arguing.