Any - MOT Test - Man without a plan

Hi folks,

Very quick question - if I take my car in for an MOT and it fails, will the test centre still carry out all test areas or will it stop once it gets to a failure point?

So for example if they check the tyres and one is below legal limit, so the car fails, would they then still carry out testing the rest of it? The end result being that I know all areas it has failed on, rather than going away and fixing the tyre issue only to return and face another failure on another bit that I wasn't expecting.

Thanks in advance.

Any - MOT Test - alan1302

They would still do the full test even if you were to fail on the first thing they check.

Any - MOT Test - galileo

Hi folks,

Very quick question - if I take my car in for an MOT and it fails, will the test centre still carry out all test areas or will it stop once it gets to a failure point?

So for example if they check the tyres and one is below legal limit, so the car fails, would they then still carry out testing the rest of it? The end result being that I know all areas it has failed on, rather than going away and fixing the tyre issue only to return and face another failure on another bit that I wasn't expecting.

Thanks in advance.

You could always ask them to do a pre-test check, you would then know what needed fixing for it to pass the MOT. However they would probably charge more for that than for an official test. (N.B. if you think you have tyres that are marginal you need to change them ASAP anyway, easy enough to check tread depths yourself.)

Any - MOT Test - RobJP

You could always ask them to do a pre-test check, you would then know what needed fixing for it to pass the MOT. However they would probably charge more for that than for an official test. (N.B. if you think you have tyres that are marginal you need to change them ASAP anyway, easy enough to check tread depths yourself.)

Agreed. Personally speaking, if tyres have got less than 3mm tread depth, then it's time to start looking for replacements. Esepcially moving into winter with wet slushy leaves blocking up road gullies, leading to more standing water, etc.

I've aquaplaned a couple of times in my life, and it's not a fun experience.

Any - MOT Test - daveyjp

The test will be completed and even if the failure is minor and can be fixed in seconds a failure will still be noted.

After failing the fix can be carried out and a pass awarded.

Any - MOT Test - FoxyJukebox

So --just to be clear-what happens when a single major failure fault is found--will that guarantee a pass when fixed-eg even if 1) the repair is to take some hours?--2) be made good at a workshop -distanced from the original MOT test station?

Any - MOT Test - RT

So --just to be clear-what happens when a single major failure fault is found--will that guarantee a pass when fixed-eg even if 1) the repair is to take some hours?--2) be made good at a workshop -distanced from the original MOT test station?

Only for some failure aspects - others require a full retest - and any fault with the emissions test, will halt the emissions part, and need to be re-run in full as part of the retest.

Any - MOT Test - Andrew-T

If the tester stopped at the first failure point you would only see one reason on the failure notice. Usually there are several ... :-)