Private parking fine - very late notification - peterb

Hi there

Sorry if this is covered somewhere but some searching of the site didn't find me the specific information I needed

We've just had a parking charge notice from a BPA member for overstaying the 2 hour limit at a Supermarket

On one level we're bang-to-rights. However it was posted on 27 September and we parked on 10th May!!! Surely this isn't OK? Apart from anything else, we can't give any mitigating circumstances or till receipts because it was FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS AGO. Grrrr.

Should we just appeal on the basis that it's too late?

Private parking fine - very late notification - Bromptonaut

Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4 para 9 (4) (b) and (5) appear to require the notice to owner to be sent so as to arrive within c15 days of alleged infirngement:

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/schedule/4/ena...d

Different if it's a hire car or you were otherwise not registered keeper at time.

Private parking fine - very late notification - concrete

Interesting Bromptonaut. Nice to know a reasonable limit is in place for serving notices. The OP may get some joy from the supermarket in question. If he is a regular customer it would pay to see the manager armed with your latest shopping receipts and impress upon him your disappoinment at this situation. I am sure they will have influence with the parking company, after all they are presumably employed by said supermarket. Try that first before engaging with the parking sharks. Good luck and please let us know the outcome. Cheers Concrete

Private parking fine - very late notification - daveyjp
Moneysavingexpert site has info on the private parking forum pages.
Private parking fine - very late notification - Ethan Edwards

It's not a fine. They are a private company. It's an invoice.

Get legal advice on not paying. Don't admit to being the driver whatever you do.

Private parking fine - very late notification - peterb

Thanks for all the advice.

I appealed but also wrote to the supermarket and they arranged canellation of the "fine"

Private parking fine - very late notification - oldroverboy.

Thanks for telling us, extremely nice to get a follow up!

personally i pay by credit card, and it is sufficient for mot shops. Wickes here in Colchester accepted 2 entries on my credit card statement as 2 visits the same day and told the parking company to cancel.