peogeout 1.1 106 1997 60bhp - Just for interest,,, - liammcl

just a quick post...just for interest...
I swapped my rear axle the other week, as this one was wonky...

I'm trying to git the trailing arm off, so I can see the damage to the bearing and the pin...
Is it just a case of whacking it with a hammer?
(I am hitting it on the red bits)
...or is it nigh impossible with it being off the car

(I've sprayed loads of penetrating oil and left overnight)

Cheers
Liam

hred bits which I am hitting , to no avail -
i.imgur.com/Tx76BxY.jpg
(maybe I need a bigger hammer... :) )

i.imgur.com/oOkcKvY.jpg

i.imgur.com/gBdKV85.jpg

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 23/09/2017 at 19:21

It's ok thanks ...
I think I've found a way...

I have to get all the torx 40 bolts out, and the off centre washers, and then screw a bolt in and hit it , to get the torsion bar out..

ps while , changing the axle (£30 from leeds) I couldn't get the hubs off
(i was using the existing hubs and wheels cylinders etc , as they were good)
so I came up with a cunning plan :)

I welded 3 ends of a trampoline pole together and some random metal which I found..
worked a treat !
i.imgur.com/nAvs5Ap.jpg

pps aldi are doing inverter welders, 3 years for £70 ...bargain
loads loads easier than buzz boxes.. imho
incredibly light too..2 bags of sugar
www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-140-amp-inverter-welder/p/...0

cheers
liam

peogeout 1.1 106 1997 60bhp - Just for interest,,, - gordonbennet

Liam, once again i take my hat off to you, and your insistence that your 106 continues to give service, have you Chistened it Trigger's Broom yet :-)

It wasn't 106's i spent years of my youth battling it was my own rusty heaps as well as other people's motors which i fixed to make help make ends meet, so i can offer no help at all, not as you need it by the way cos no matter what that old car throws up you seem to find a way to fix the blessed thing.

Glass raised here to you matey, keep up the good work and by the way i'm rather glad its you and not me having to do this kind of thing any more :-)

Thank you so much Gordon,
I know for a fact I wouldn't have got so far without your kind help at my first steps ,
and all along the way. Thank you , and all the other regulars who give their hard earnt experience, freely.
Cheers matey !

lol at the broom.... I think I shall call it
"Lee Majors" ...the 6 million dollar car
"A car,barely alive.......gentlemen , we can rebuild him :D "
( www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGO57y4td-c )

The car was 20 years old last week,
and has done 1111111 miles (trip 111.1)
i.imgur.com/vtQlJNM.jpg
( i tweeked the clock to show 1.11 - should've used 11:11)

next up, is 112233 trip 445.5
and then , hopefully 123456 trip 798.0

Here's some pics of the axle swap...easy enough....but ya got to be careful of thebrake pipes sticking on the twisting nut and kinking..
In fact, next up , may be to go git a brake pipe making tool ..
(too many ads on Photobucket these fays imo !)
alturl.com/ef3fp

Glass raised to you too , pal, you are a good man !
All the very best , to you and yours , Gordon

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 24/09/2017 at 00:18

oh, btw, I saw on another forum to "pull" the torsion bar out...as it supposed to come out "easily"

one snapped thread later ...
the welder is a god send for stuff like this !
i.imgur.com/8DCaIys.jpg

I may just cut the bars in two, as the axle is going to the tip... I just wanted to see the bvearins and the scrtatches

Cheers Liam

peogeout 1.1 106 1997 60bhp - Just for interest,,, - gordonbennet

Great pics Liam.

I found a brake pipe making tool to be a good investment many years ago, roll of Kunifer pipe and various fittings and you're good to go, it didn't work out much cheaper than a trade price for pipes but more than paid for itself with convenience and time saved.

Luckily i haven't needed to get so involved in more recent years, my old Merc (now 21) did need a new pipe across the top of the rear subframe (nasty job) a couple of years ago but it was with my MB indy for the MOT/service and he did the business, and the odd flexi thats needed changing over the years has come undone without issues.

When that Merc is sold will be the last European car i have, i've never needed to put any new brake pipes on any Japanese built car i've owned, though i do go in for extensive rustproofing when i buy them and i service the brakes annually so, in theory at least, they shouldn't need changing.

It's took me many years to finally admit what i learned as a kerbside cowboy some 30/40 years ago, that proper Japanese cars don't let you down in the same way as so many European makes or have such short useful lives ( they don't make cars like 106/205/309/405 any more cos they lasted too long and could be fixed as you are proving), though Japanese cars need careful buying used because some people seem to think they need no maintenance or upkeep and many get abused/neglected rotten, the irony being that *well chosen* (there are some to avoid, but you don't go far wrong with Toyota and Subaru) Japanese cars are not only extremely reliable but also a pleasure to work on...mostly that is, we'll skip over spark plug changes on Subaru's at this point..:-)

Funnily enough i took a pic of my lorry dashboard a couple of months ago (sorry no picture account to link to) when it was at 666666, i did murmur a quiet Hail Mary (yes i'm one) as i took the pic, it's now just over 700k and might just click over 800k before it gets replaced, probably at the end of March when it's five years old.

Kind Regards

peogeout 1.1 106 1997 60bhp - Just for interest,,, - John F

my old Merc (now 21) did need a new pipe across the top of the rear subframe (nasty job).......nd the odd flexi thats needed changing over the years

If garages 'serviced' brake pipes properly when cars were put in for a so-called 'service' they would never need replacing. Ever since I learned that this omission was a fruitful source of MoT failure income I have serviced mine at least biennially. The pipes on my 37yr old TR7 and 17yr old Focus are original.

Even a warning can produce fruitful work for an unscrupulous garage. The service history of my merely 12yr old Audi A8 shows it had a new brake pipe made to the front caliper when less than 8yrs old after 'superficial corrosion' was noticed.

peogeout 1.1 106 1997 60bhp - Just for interest,,, - Wackyracer

Is this the same Pug you was welding up the rear wheel arches on some time back?

Hi wackyRacer,
yes indeed it is the same car...
The welding cost £3.86 in total...(45p of that was for a Mars bar ;) )
the gasless wire is so cheap on ebay and I used a boiler cover which I found on the road.(I spoil that car ;) )
It needed welding on both arches in the end, and in about 5 places

next up is a "clunk-ish" noise when turnming right...gonna drop it off at Nationwide/Halfords for a free diagnostic (and then try the work myself)

I can't fault the car at all... it's great for parking, starts every time , and is cheap as chips for parts (egg the axle was £30 ) and is very easy to fix with basic tools.

It's great for tip runs, and It's had fridge freezers/ 50 inch tvs, 150ltr air compresssors , etc in the back, and I was even considering using it as a camper van for a night or two (didn't in the end...came to my senses :) )
(No wonder the axle went to wonkyville)

I do wonder how long the government will allow old cars on the road, as new cars have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get past emissions etc.

Keep on truckin'

All the best
Liam

Thank Gordon,

w-a-y back, the phrase
"brake pipes rusty"
or
"needs welding"
used to put the fear of god into me, as it was usually the kiss of death..

It's nice , as I am getting older...but not wiser ;)
to have the time to tinker and see how things fit together etc

some trivia...
apparantly, toyota lad went to a psychic when he was starting his company , and she said to call his cars, names beginning with "C" eg corolla, camri, cortina ;)
and suburu, is "the seven sisters"?, which you can see on a clear night..

wow ! that is some milage for your truck !
I never even knew they could last that long !
I shall post a pic when my little car get to 666,666, too :)

I do wonder what to get next... maybe I'll just stick with 106s, as they do everything I want...
...maybe next time, one with power steering ?
... I know, I know....that's crazy talk :)

All the best
Liam

wow ! that is some milage for your truck !

I never even knew they could last that long !
I shall post a pic when my little car get to 666,666, too :)

They have to last a long time due to the high cost of them and the very little profit margin that can be made. Most big companies run their trucks 24 hours a day with drivers on 2 or 3 shifts. The company I was at last week said they change their trucks oil every 90,000miles.

I do wonder what to get next... maybe I'll just stick with 106s, as they do everything I want...
...maybe next time, one with power steering ?
... I know, I know....that's crazy talk :)

I can't really see the point of power steering on such a small car appart from it encouraging 'dry steering' but, it seems thesedays even truck drivers are being encouraged to do it.

wow ! I was at a haulage firm the other day , and one of their trucks (with a lifting arm) 2nd hand was £300,000 !

I agree with the power steering comment,
but I am having problems with my neck and shoulders
(awaiting results from mri)

and this was why ol' winky wheel was a wonkying

A common fault on berlingos, 106, 206 etc
the back wheel(sa) splay out

imgur.com/a/SgfMn

The kits are about £25, but I think you need mega pressure to push the new pins in..

s103.photobucket.com/user/liammcl_2006/library/Axl...1

One of those shafts of yours looks rather rusty. I've no doubt if they had grease nipples fitted and were greased twice a year, they would last a very long time.

yes, it is for the tip
the wheel on that side was leaning in so much at the top,
it started to touch the bodywork !
It would be interesting to get the pins out and put new ones on... but I dunno what force and what press would be needed.. for a new stub pin
Anywho, lets hope this one last a year or so, ...although I can see the driver side one starting on it's wonky journey ...
Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 24/09/2017 at 23:05

This is the correct way to replace them. www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbGQC0yH_7Q

Many thanks :)
Interesting ... I wonder what force is being applied there...when pushing the pins in.

yes, that's exactly what I did, with the torsion bars/trailing arms, but off the car
I put a sacrificial bolt into the torsion bar, where the t40 torx came out off
and hit it with a 2lb hammer.
i.imgur.com/mTQfHYX.jpg

i.imgur.com/rVrrQKi.jpg
The torsion bars and the trailing arm came off quite easily asfter soaking overnight, and hitting the bar at the area where it went into the arm & mount

(and you can only get the 2nd bar out , when the first is off, as the 2nd one is hidden by the arm)

ps The splines at the ends of the torsion bars are different lengths, and different circumferences,
so I had to bash from the frame mounting end , to knock the thicker end out of the trailing arm. They will only come out one way (the video uses the other end, to pull the bar)
here it is coming out....which takes the opposite trailing arm off the axle..
i.imgur.com/riz80Ob.jpg

and the sizes
i.imgur.com/QiyHM8s.jpg

Of course one of the torx bolts wouldn't come out, so I had to weld something to it...
i.imgur.com/uC9Yttk.jpg

and trying the pulling (rather than the hitting from the other end)
of the torsion bar using a socket stripped 2 bolts...
the welder came in handy againn ! welding a nut on top

so a little tinker, was had :)

I wonder how much that massive hight tensile bar that they put from one wheel to the other is ? £££?

tbh, there are a few axles for £30 about...
. a clue as to whether they are wrecked is obvious if they are on the car
or if off....cracks on the rubber gasket ..

reconditioned ones are about £200...

Cheers
Liam
ps I thought I saw one where they used hydraulics to pull the pins in , too
youtu.be/rvim_60wAPw?t=137

I wonder if one of these , with heavy duty diy clamp around the other end , would do too
www.alltradetools.com/catalog/550-575-thickbox/640...g

Edited by liammcl on 25/09/2017 at 01:42

**Apologies***
**wrong place to hit**
i.imgur.com/mTQfHYX.jpg
This is not the place to hit the torsion bars from ... it's ok to pull from there

it should be hit , from the mounting bar below
i.imgur.com/riz80Ob.jpg

The first & wrong pic was before I know that the bars had a thicker end and a thinner one,
and would only come out one way

soz y'all

Edited by liammcl on 25/09/2017 at 03:32