- Palcouk
"Lexed" question and Which. A couple of years ago I wrote to Which, being a subscriber, to question as to why in their annual car test reports the majority of recommendations were for Diesel cars. I pointed out that I suspected that the majority of Which subscribers would be like me, and have an annual mileage of well below 8k.
The response from a Which person was that "I have a diesel and have no issues", what they failed to mention was that it was a leased car returned after 3 years, for the next owner to have all the problems.
Which is why I take very little notice of Which reports on cars or IT
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 23-09-2017 - Engineer Andy
"Lexed" question and Which. A couple of years ago I wrote to Which, being a subscriber, to question as to why in their annual car test reports the majority of recommendations were for Diesel cars. I pointed out that I suspected that the majority of Which subscribers would be like me, and have an annual mileage of well below 8k. The response from a Which person was that "I have a diesel and have no issues", what they failed to mention was that it was a leased car returned after 3 years, for the next owner to have all the problems. Which is why I take very little notice of Which reports on cars or IT

I was leafing through some Which? magazines at my local library recently whilst researching an item my parents wanted to buy (they aren't great at doing so online and asked if I could find out for them) and saw Which?'s annual car report. Needless to say that I wasn't impressed with the quality of their reviews - giving Germany cars and especially the expensive and diesel versions top positions - only Toyota/Lexus getting a look in within the top 5 of the majority of categories. They even rated the Germans makes reliability as high, equal to or better than Japanese and Korean, though Kia came out top but only on that score, not for individual cars. I agree with you that, in my opinion, their testing was inadequate and wasn't comparing cars on an equal basis. To me, their results didn't bear any relation to real-world experiences as we see on HJ and owners forums and more like the auto mags whom to me are biassed by concentrating on performance and handling over short term tests on smooth roads whilst being wined and dined by the car manufacturers.

I've noticed that Which? seems, at least to me, is reducing in quality by employing lesser quality testers and journalists and releasing lower grade reviews and articles about consumer issues, sometimes (in my opinion) looking like they just used a search engine to put it together, rather like 'reports' (IMO) on the MSN website.