Insurance/NCB query - scott1s
Wonder if somebody can advise. 2 years ago I went from running my own car to a company car. For the sake of a couple of months I just let my own insurance run to its expiry (Dec 2015). I had 10 yrs NCB at that point. I have had no claims since (touch wood!!)
Fast forward to now, and I hope to have my - currently SORNed - project car finished and on the road for next spring. I will insure on a classic policy when the time comes. Question is - how long is my previously accrued NCB valid for and is it worth insuring the project car early so as not to potentially lose that NCB.
Insurance/NCB query - RobJP

Normally last for 2 years. Dfferent companies might have different rules though, so best to call and ask.

Even if that it isn't valid, a lot of companies will give 'introductory discounts' to established drivers in your position. But you'd need a proper 'old-fashioned' broker, rather than an online system.

Insurance/NCB query - concrete

I went from a company to a private car, albeit on an immediate basis. I got a letter from my company stating that I had the benefit of a company car for the previous 15 years without any claims, accident or incidents. That was accepted and I managed to receive full no claims discount. I think something similar from your previous company may do the trick. NCD is usually based on a sliding scale these days. 1 year is 14%, 5 years is 20% up to 9 years for 30%. Any discount is worth having though. Good luck. Concrete

Insurance/NCB query - gordonbennet

I wasn't aware that classic policies accrue NCD or that NCD could be used, but happy to be wrong, once more :-)

I'd get your quotes asap, i had considered putting my MB on a classic policy but required being able to take it to work now and again, that put paid to some classic insurers and by the time commuting (even with a 3k limit) was included it was cheaper and easier on a normal fully comp protected policy...though guaranteed values don't apply.

Insurance/NCB query - Mike H

I wasn't aware that classic policies accrue NCD or that NCD could be used, but happy to be wrong, once more :-)

You're right, at least that was also my experience some 10 years ago. I insured one of our Saabs, which just crept in as a "classic car" (usually it's on an age basis), and still insured my everyday car using my NCD. Things may have changed in the interim.

Insurance/NCB query - jc2

Most companies will carry forward a NCB for two years-The company who insured your company car is worth talking to.

Insurance/NCB query - Engineer Andy

I went from a company to a private car, albeit on an immediate basis. I got a letter from my company stating that I had the benefit of a company car for the previous 15 years without any claims, accident or incidents. That was accepted and I managed to receive full no claims discount. I think something similar from your previous company may do the trick. NCD is usually based on a sliding scale these days. 1 year is 14%, 5 years is 20% up to 9 years for 30%. Any discount is worth having though. Good luck. Concrete

To me, that just shows how much of a rip-off the insurance industry is - I get 70% off the initial premium with my full 14+ years NCD (Esure do a 7+7 year reduction if I recall, you get a lot off in the first 7 years, possibly up to 50% NCD then much less in the years after) on an ongoing private insurance policy (rather than work one). It shouldn't matter whether the policy is for a privately owned car or company car, as long as you have proof of bonus.

Of course, all the NCD % discounts are meaningless anyway, as different insurers often have hugely different premium starting points before NCD discounts, plus most have 'additional amounts' ready to reduce the price if you haggle over the phone, at least when changing from another provider.