Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - csgmart

I'm currently considering my options when my PCP comes to an end - I could hand the car back or pay the balloon payment and keep it.

If I decide to hand the car back I have 3 damaged alloy wheels which they will no doubt charge me for and I'd like to find out whether MB will charge me more for the damage than it would cost me to get them repaired elsewhere?

I did call MB on the PCP helpline but they didn't know and suggested I talk to a dealer - which I found rather odd.

When my last PCP came to an end (also a Mercedes) they collected the car and gave it a thorough inspection before taking the keys and driving away. As there was no damage I had nothing to pay but I am guessing they will have a set of 'standard' charges for alloy wheel damage - if only I could find out what they were, I can them compare them against the cost I can get locally.

Any ideas / thoughts?

Edited by csgmart on 31/08/2017 at 19:26

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - brum

Just guessing. Pcp people are finance, they arent interested in shopping around or repairing wheels, they will just ask a main dealer, local or not, to quote for 3 new wheels to be fitted. That will be parts plus labour plus transport costs, there may also be a charge for the time the car is tied up and not on sale. The dealer will possibly argue new tyres are also needed (and 4 rather than 3 plus an old tyre) Plus inspection/repair of "possible suspension damage". Pcp people will just accept the quote and pass it on to you.

Easy to see we are looking north of £1k, could be much more.

Just guessing. Pcp people are finance, they arent interested in shopping around or repairing wheels, they will just ask a main dealer, local or not, to quote for 3 new wheels to be fitted. That will be parts plus labour plus transport costs, there may also be a charge for the time the car is tied up and not on sale. The dealer will possibly argue new tyres are also needed (and 4 rather than 3 plus an old tyre) Plus inspection/repair of "possible suspension damage". Pcp people will just accept the quote and pass it on to you.

Easy to see we are looking north of £1k, could be much more.

I don't think it works like that.

When the guy was checking my previus car he was using a tablet device and could mark any damage accordingly. I can vaguely remember seeing a cost against each item which makes me think there is a 'standard' charge - after all they are collecting the car and taking it away - they do not faff around talking to dealers and all that nonsense.

Also, as far as I know they would repair, not replace a wheel (unless damaged beyond repair).

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - brum

Maybe so but MB did give you a clue -

I did call MB on the PCP helpline but they didn't know and suggested I talk to a dealer - which I found rather odd

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - gordonbennet

If it were me i'd get them done, and to a decent standard, together with any other bits and pieces, just before handing it back.

Also, and i'm not into new cars so don't know how this works, i'd take good photos of all angles of the car at the time of handover with time stamp enabled on the pics, that way you have some evidence if something should happen to it after it's departed which someone tries to pin on you.

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - bazza

I would agree with GB and get them done yourself. No doubt the finance company will have structured charges, essentially to hoover your pockets, whereas you can shop around and get the best quote, typically £30 to £50 plus per wheel depending, last time I looked.

If it were me i'd get them done, and to a decent standard, together with any other bits and pieces, just before handing it back.

Also, and i'm not into new cars so don't know how this works, i'd take good photos of all angles of the car at the time of handover with time stamp enabled on the pics, that way you have some evidence if something should happen to it after it's departed which someone tries to pin on you.

Yep - I thought that would be the safest option. They are stupid diamond cut wheels so about £100 a pop to get refurbished. Hence me asking the question....

Maybe so but MB did give you a clue -

I did call MB on the PCP helpline but they didn't know and suggested I talk to a dealer - which I found rather odd

Agreed however with my previous Merc (had there been any damage) the guy checking it over would have quoted me a cost for the damage - which would not have involved me or them calling a dealer - and I would have paid it on the spot.

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - gordonbennet

Oh heck, diamond cut, yes the worse type of the lot to maintain and big money to refurb, bad luck.

Might be worth keeping an eye open on the usual auction site in case someone is flogging off a set in as new condition, they might be cheaper to buy like this than refurb, then flog yours in due course.

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - barney100

How bad are the wheels? I was quoted £60 a corner for alloy refurbishment.

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - leaseman

I've just delivered a new C350e leased from Mercedes Benz Finance, who will, no doubt, use the same criteria for "Fair wear and tear" on their PCP products. These are in line with the BVRLA Guidelines i.e. Alloy wheels with scuffs extending more than 25mm.per wheel are unacceptable.

If the scuffs extend further than that, then there is no doubt that it will be more economical to have the affected wheels refurbished prior to returning the car. As rightly stated above, Diamond cut Alloys need special equipment to refurbish them to an acceptable standard, and £60 per wheel, also stated, seems remarkably cheap to achieve such. Good luck with your search to find an economical solution..

If the scuffs extend further than that, then there is no doubt that it will be more economical to have the affected wheels refurbished prior to returning the car. As rightly stated above, Diamond cut Alloys need special equipment to refurbish them to an acceptable standard, and £60 per wheel, also stated, seems remarkably cheap to achieve such. Good luck with your search to find an economical solution..

Thank you Leaseman.

Mercedes B Class - PCP - damage charges - pd

I would check what the charge is before having them refurbished. You may find the standard charge scale does not take account of what type of wheel they are and it would be cheaper to pay the fee.

There will be some sort of standard scale of charges along BVRLA guidelines so you need to find out what that is. Your local dealer may well have such a thing and be able to tell you as they will have dealt with thousands of PCP cars.

Edited by pd on 02/09/2017 at 12:25