Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Auto 2003 - Back box pipe rusted through - bluenun

The pipe on the Back Box on my Automatic Ford Focus has rusted through, there are many sellers on a popular auction site but some mention it is for a manual gearbox, it looks the same as mine which is an auto box.

Anyone know if the rear box is different for the auto?

I have messaged the sellers but would like to get your opinions too.

Also, it looks like a slip on pipe and a 2 bolt clamp, is it supposed to be fitted with some kind of silicone/putty?

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Auto 2003 - Back box pipe rusted through - Wackyracer

In the Walker catalogue it doesn't show a difference between transmission types. The only noticeable difference is the tail pipe seems longer on the Estate/Saloon versions.

Put a smear of exhaust paste on the smaller uncut pipe before you slip the joint together.

Thank-you for the reply.

Unfortunately it is not going to be as simple as I had hoped.

It is the original Ford exhaust pipe so there is no join. It is one complete part.

The middle silencer and rear box are 1 part and I think it is joined at the Manifold.

I do not have a pit to work in or a ramp so I will not beable to cut the pipe.

Looks like i will have to take it to an exhaust fitting shop.

Anyone know if the catalytic convertor is in the piece i need to replace?

Anyone know if the catalytic convertor is in the piece i need to replace?

The Cat will be up the front.

Yes, I changed a back box on a Mondeo and I had to cut the pipe on that to suit. I cut it long first off and then hung the new rear box on the mountings to mark the correct position for the final cut.

Thanks for the reply.

I assume you had access to a ramp or pit to work in?

I only have the jack in the boot and axle stands.

I have a small angle grinder but think it would be way too cramped and awkward to make the cut while laying down

I did it using just normal DIY car ramps and an angle grinder with a 'cut off' wheel fitted.

The last exhaust I cut on a car I used a reciprocating saw and it was easier than using the angle grind in a confined access area.

Thanks for your help.

I do not have a reciprocating saw but do have a 4 inch grinder and a couple of 1mm thick stainless steel cutting wheels.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Auto 2003 - Back box pipe rusted through - bathtub tom

I use copperslip or similar on exhaust sleeve joints, it means I can separate them again when necessary.

Thanks Bathtub, do you mean use copperslip instead of exhaust paste?

Regarding the clip to clamp the 2 parts of the exhaust together, which of these 2 types would you use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIKALOR-W2-Stainless-Steel-Hose-Clamps-T-Bolt-Marine-Clip-Supra-Exhaust/302355516655?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=601192344482&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-U-Hose-Clamps-Clamping-Clips-With-Nuts-Bolt-Zinc-Plated-TV-BRACKET-Car/390504613500?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=660101760649&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Auto 2003 - Back box pipe rusted through - elekie&a/c doctor

"I only have the jack in the boot and axle stands". Not too sure why you are messing around.This is a 20-30 min job at one of the quick fix outfits who will have the correct tools.Probably something like this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Exhaust-Pipe-Chain...5

I was just watching a video showing the use of one of those pipe cutting tools before I read your reply.

I think I will invest in one.

I thought I might aswell ring an exhaust place early Monday morning to get a quote to supply and fit a back box, gave him my phone number.

I told him it was an auto, and is the original pipe so it will need cutting.

Did not hear anything by this afternoon so drove to the Garage (about 7 miles away).

He had written my number down wrong, the part was in so I drove it on the ramp and he started to try and cut the pipe with one of those cutters you linked to.

I mentioned that I had found out there are at least 2 types of rear box that could be right for this car, I knew this because I had messaged a few sellers on Ebay on Sunday and some said there are a few options, but the exhaust guy said no this is the correct part.

I could see he was getting fed up trying to cut it, kept stopping, then came to get me to try and convince me I needed the mid section replaced too.

I told him I had spent a long time under the car on Sunday and it looked fine to me.

So he had another go and managed to cut it.

Then he lowers the ramp and says the part is no good because the end of the new box is too flared and he will order another part and to come back at 4pm.

I told him I have the old original box in the boot and the serial number on a piece of paper if he needs it, but he said "no I know what to order".

I rushed back at 4pm and he said it's no good the part they delivered is the same with a flared end. He said a piece will need to be made to connect to the old mid pipe and new box pipe.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Auto 2003 - Back box pipe rusted through - bathtub tom

Thanks Bathtub, do you mean use copperslip instead of exhaust paste?

Yes, the clamp should provide a gas tight seal.

I'd advise against using the first type, it's a hose clip, not an exhaust clamp.

Many thanks bathtub.