1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - Lrac

I had a cataract operation 2 days ago on my right eye. I regard my vision in this eye as excellent now and I could easily pass any driving related sight test. My left eye has recently been tested and it passed the driving standard.

I can see lots of information on the net saying it is ok to drive the next day after an op if you can satisfy the driving standard.

Does anyone know if I can legally drive at the moment? I was going to wait a week but as soon as I took off the eye protector my vision was excellent.

The only medication that I am on is a steroid eye drop 4 x a day to prevent infection.

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - FP

I suggest you do some seraching online.

The point seems to be that if you can reach the required standard of eyesight, and have no distraction from pain or discomfort, then you can drive.

Perhaps you should check with your surgeon or optician to see if you will need glasses (say, because your eyesight is unbalanced - though I'm not sure if this is an issue).

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - RobJP

I would suggest you ask your surgeon or doctor.

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - RT

As posted, the consultant should have given you that information - bear in mind that if your driving licence is coded to show you need glasses you'll need to update DVLA.

I need both my eyes doing, sequentially, but for the first my driving "ban" will depend when I can get new glasses made as the other eye will still need correction.

IMO, the eyesight standard for driving is woefully low and my wife's opthalmic consultant agrees with me - remember that 6/6 (20/20) vision isn't "perfect", it's simply average - and the DVLA standard is only half that

Edited by RT on 16/07/2017 at 05:08

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - Bromptonaut

As posted, the consultant should have given you that information - bear in mind that if your driving licence is coded to show you need glasses you'll need to update DVLA.

I need both my eyes doing, sequentially, but for the first my driving "ban" will depend when I can get new glasses made as the other eye will still need correction.

IMO, the eyesight standard for driving is woefully low and my wife's opthalmic consultant agrees with me - remember that 6/6 (20/20) vision isn't "perfect", it's simply average - and the DVLA standard is only half that

Indeed. I am shortsighted (ie poor distance vision) and have worn glasses since I was 12. With good eye an a bit of squinting I can read a numberplate at regulation distance. No way could I distinguish detail at distance required for safe driving at NSL without correction. I'm not really comfortable driving wearing contact lenses because they're a compromise for distant and near vision.

Indeed. I am shortsighted (ie poor distance vision) and have worn glasses since I was 12. With good eye an a bit of squinting I can read a numberplate at regulation distance. No way could I distinguish detail at distance required for safe driving at NSL without correction. I'm not really comfortable driving wearing contact lenses because they're a compromise for distant and near vision.

Apparently, some modern contact lenses can cope with both distance and near vision - don't ask me how!

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - alan1302

Apparently, some modern contact lenses can cope with both distance and near vision - don't ask me how!

Jist for interest:

www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/bifocals.htm

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - Bromptonaut

Surprised information like this wasn't supplied as a matter of course.

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - TedCrilly

Maybe if was.........but the OP didn't like the answer.

Just a thought.

One of the nurses said give it a week but sitting in the car being driven around by the wife I actually wondered if this was neccessary. I checked on the net and it appears to be ok to drive if you can satisfy the number plate test. I have no problem leaving it a week this will not inconvenience me in the slightest.

I tend not to trust a lot of what I read on the net. I wondered if I may be missing advice about imbalance which some people seem to suffer, thankfully I have not experienced this.

I was very surprised to find that you are required to notify the DVLA if you have cataracts in both eyes. I have always been told that my sight is ok to drive when I have my annual check so it never occured to me to mention it. They have been monitored for years. I imagined it was just like being told you have arthritis. I have only ever worn glasses for reading in poor light and was shocked when my right eye failed the driving test hence the op as soon as possible.

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - Smileyman

I'd be wary of a long journey in case your eyes tire - unless you have another suitably insured driver for your car with you in which case you could "share" the driving

Also suggest you consider whether you feel up to driving in darkness, although at this time of the year that may be less of an immediate concern.

wise words. Not wishing to temp fate but I can't believe how good my eyesight is in my right eye now. I have been lucky enough so far not to experience any problems. I expect saying so is the kiss of death.

The only problem is not saying anything as my wife rides the clutch then blames the Euro whatsit laws for making the car gutless when pulling away from a snails pace in 3rd.

wise words. Not wishing to temp fate but I can't believe how good my eyesight is in my right eye now. I have been lucky enough so far not to experience any problems. I expect saying so is the kiss of death.

The only problem is not saying anything as my wife rides the clutch then blames the Euro whatsit laws for making the car gutless when pulling away from a snails pace in 3rd.

A successful cataract operation should give you exactly what you're experiencing - good vision without recourse to glasses - but it's up to your consultant/surgeon to advise you when you can restart driving - if you weren't told that by the consultant (not a nurse) then phone the consultant's secretary and ask that specific question.

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - Theophilus

DVLA Fitness to Drive simply states "If you have surgery to remove cataracts, your eyesight after the surgery must meet the standard of vision, set out below, to allow you to continue driving. If your condition affects both eyes you must let us know"

ie, no specified interval after cataract surgery if you meet the normal (low!) standard of vision for driving.

DVLA Fitness to Drive simply states "If you have surgery to remove cataracts, your eyesight after the surgery must meet the standard of vision, set out below, to allow you to continue driving. If your condition affects both eyes you must let us know"

ie, no specified interval after cataract surgery if you meet the normal (low!) standard of vision for driving.

But doctors can/do issue limited time driving "bans" and driving against their advice would have serious consequences in any court case. In the case of temporary conditions they don't need reporting to DVLA.

I'd been under investigation for heart irregularities and as soon as they downloaded the history from an implanted "reveal" I got an instant ban, not even allowed to move my car from a short-term parking area - the ban continued until 2 weeks after my pacemaker was fitted.

RT - your cardiologist was following the DVLA "Fitness to Drive" protocol for cardiac arrhythmia, whereas Lrac's ophthalmic nurse seems to have been using her own initiative / common sense!

Edited by Theophilus on 18/07/2017 at 17:14

RT - your cardiologist was following the DVLA "Fitness to Drive" protocol for cardiac arrhythmia, whereas Lrac's ophthalmic nurse seems to have been using her own initiative / common sense!

Maybe - I'd been under investigation for a couple of years after being diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and arrhythmia and received cardioversion twice, all without any driving restrictions from the cardiologist - in my case the ban only started when the implanted reveal showed that my heart stopped for more than 5 seconds, which indicates it may not restart - all sorted with a pacemaker, condition reported to DVLA and driving again a fortnight later.

I need cataracts doing on both eyes and seeing the opthalmology consultant in August with a view to doing the right eye in October - short-term driving restriction is top of my list of questions! I want it as short as possible but will accept his opinion - I do know him as he's also my wife's consultant for glaucoma.

Maybe

I'm posting with the background of being a (retired) GP contracted with DVLA to perform medical examinations for drivers with a wide variety of medical conditions - in my experience many hospital staff (& even consultants) didn't necessarily know the details of DVLA Guidelines, regarding them as perhaps less important than their clinical skills - though as you will understand they are of considerable relevance and importance to their patients!

Delighted to hear your pacemaker is functioning so well - best wishes for the upcoming eye surgery.

1959 Male - Cataract operation how long till I can drive? - jc2

Surely the doctor or consultant can only rely on what you tell them.If you consider that it is safe for you to drive,then drive.There are already too many people who drive whilst not meeting the required standards and many who can see but don't look.