Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - Steveieb
Thanks forcallbyour help in choosing the Mk1 Yaris auto for my sons girlfriend.
16 years old and in her 18 months ownership it has been faultless.

Now with 65 k and fully serviced and MOTD we have the opportunity to buy a very low mileage i10 with the TConverter gearbox. It has less than 5k miles and and the balance of the warranty.

Grateful your views
Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - Avant

The i10 is a lovely little car, although I've only driven a manual. No small automatic is going to be a ball of fire: the Hyundai TC auto will be more reliable than rivals' semi-automatic contraptions, but the auto-box will sap performance. I hope it's a 1.2 rather than a 1.0.

Elder daughter had four 1.3 Yarises and is no on her second 1.2 i10. For her the i10 does the same excellent job: slightly smaller than the Yaris but quite a lot cheaper.

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - andyp

It's a cracking small car IMHO. My recently widowed sister needed a new car to replace the aging Mercedes they had been running which was starting to throw up some big bills. She wanted a small auto and we went to look at a one month old pre reg 2017 1.2 Auto which had 30 miles on the clock. On the test drive I couldn't believe how smooth, quiet and stable it felt even at motorway speeds. Bought for £9750 including 12 months VED which I think was about 3k off of list price. Had the usual battle convincing them that we really didn't want the 300 quid Simoniz and GAP insurance that they were insisting was a good buy at £350 (ALA £80) Oh and they went through the alloy wheel insurance for about 10 minutes until I pointed out that it didn't have alloy wheels ! 5 year warranty and will hopefully last her for double that.

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - KB.

Consistency springs to mind if I were asked to use one word to describe our 2011 i10 auto. It consistently returns 32mpg.

OK, occasionally it'll rise to the dizzy heights of 34.... but more often 32 or even a bit less. And believe me when I say I check each and every fill up with a calculator and enter it into a notebook. Haven't got the heart to get rid of it now as the good lady still likes it and it's worth less and less as time goes by so it's not really worth worrying about any more.

Edited by KB. on 05/07/2017 at 21:28

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - Avant

No surprise there, KB: I expect as it's a second car there are a lot of short journeys, and as a small automatic it'll need quite a bit of right foot to make reasonable progress.

I should think that your Yeti, if you still have it, beats the i10 hands down for economy.

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - KB.

Well, you're certainly right about the usage of the little i10 and it's short journeys, Avant, but even if it does a bit of a trip out it doesn't make a vast difference. But it's not the end of the world. You're probably right about the right foot enthusiasm but neither of us rag it (I don't think I've ever seen an i10 getting thrashed round this way... this being a rather sleepy backwater on the south east edge of Dartmoor they're generally in their seventies and eighties (at 66 and 62 respectively we're the youngsters hereabouts to drive such a model).

Yes, the Yeti's still here and it's mpg figures are never less than the i10's and often better by 10% or so.... but even on a long run it's rarely better than mid forties but that would include reasonable progress being made on M3/ A30/303 plus a spell on the M25 so it's not going to be great. You'll have heard me say loads of time that considering it's so much bigger, heavier, quicker, safer ... to be equalling the consumption of the Hyundai is a bit of an achievement.

Still love the Yeti - and still the DSG hasn't exploded as would be predicted by the vocal DSG critics here - cracking gearbox to drive and none of the assorted problems in traffic as other contributors keep telling me it should be suffering from. I think (very much hope) that they might have cracked it now after the early issues that we all know about and don't refute. I'll consider the Yeti replacement in due course and would undoubtedly go for the DSG again, even if it is the dry clutch (which it will be). But I will concede that common sense dictates I'd spend a couple hundred quid to extend the warranty to five years though.

Edited by KB. on 07/07/2017 at 23:24

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - SLO76
The i10 is an excellent little car and one of the better city automatics on the market. Remember the reminder of the warranty is only valid if the car has a full Hyundai service history, if it doesn't then the warranty is gone no matter what the salesman tells you.

I've been to view loads of Kia's and Hyundai's at non-franchised dealers for customers, friends and family over the years and the number of them that've patchy or no service records is surprising. Sales staff always try to convince you that the manufacturer warranty is still running but I can assure you it won't be unless that dealer service history is in place.

These are bought by people for the low price and often servicing is scrimped on. They're robust and simple but again you need to factor in the loss of that warranty into the deal if there's no full dealer history.
Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - Wee Willie Winkie

As always, good general advice there. However, issues with the service history on this particular car aren't relevant; it's only a few months old.

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - SLO76

As always, good general advice there. However, issues with the service history on this particular car aren't relevant; it's only a few months old.

OP doesn't mention age, only the low 5k mileage and on a small auto it could be 2-3yrs old at that.

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - Wee Willie Winkie

Good point; I was confuddled with andyp's post.

Apologies.

Toyota Yaris - Upgrade to 2014 Hyundai I 10 - slowdown avenue

owned 1.2 auto since scappage scheme £ 6250. 60,000 miles ,only both front wheel bearings at 6 years . great city car