chevrolet matiz 2008 - matiz wont go into 1st gear - tommybruce

car wont go into 1st gear....i've already posted this and tried the advice from honest john of going into 2nd gear then first and that didnt work...........however at the weekend with an assistant who was operating the gear shift while engine was shut down i could shift the linkage by hand in the engine compartment into 1st...although a bit sticky it went in no problem..i didnt try it with engine running.....but it still wont go into 1st while driving...all other gears are ok....any advice would be appreciated.

chevrolet matiz 2008 - matiz wont go into 1st gear - Manatee

With no special knowledge of the car I would want to eliminate linkage/cable maladjustment or a dragging clutch before considering an actual gearbox problem. Of the two, I'd lean towards the adjustment from your description.

chevrolet matiz 2008 - matiz wont go into 1st gear - tommybruce

With no special knowledge of the car I would want to eliminate linkage/cable maladjustment or a dragging clutch before considering an actual gearbox problem. Of the two, I'd lean towards the adjustment from your description.

I've taken possession of gear stiic/linkage cables and hope to fit them this week.....hopefully this will cure problem as the gear stick is very sloppy....in gear it feels as if its in neutral....will let forum know how i get on.