Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - Garf

I was recently rear ended while driving my 11 plate Ford Focus Zetec (approx 42000 on the clock). The car went into my insurers approved garage and an independent report concluded that the repairs were going to be more than 66% of the value of the car. My insurers batted back to the third party insurers to give them the option of either going ahead with the repair or deeming a write off.

I have just heard back that as 10 days have elapsed without reply, my insurers have instructed for repairs to commence shortly. Now I am guessing for most that would be ok but I have a 3 year gap insurance policy that expires in a few months time. I have paid off early the car loan so would have been in a position to buy a more modern car with little cost to myself.

Is there any way to get my insurance to write off my vehicle? I guess appealing or asking for the third party insurers details to contact them asking to get in touch with my insurers?

Ultimately not a biggie, but would still be nice to try and get a write off.

Thank you all.

Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - Terry W

Usually it is the other way round - insurers want to write off a well trusted banger. The policy holder objects as the market value is materially less that the emotional value to the policyholder. Understandable!

You want them to write off your car so you can claim on your gap insurance which you think will generate you some extra cash. Also understandable, but:

- insurers are obligated only to put you back in the position you were before the accident. They will be unconcerned with your gap insurance policy (unless they insure both policies) and only want to settle any claim at lowest cost in line with the policy.

- so get some hard facts - repair costs, hire car costs, possible (lowish) market value of Focus, value as a write off sold for parts or through the trade. At least you will have a sound base for your arguments. Make sure their costing is complete as best you can - eg: loss of earnings/time, that the repair is being done 100% correctly (eg: no s/h parts) etc.

Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - TedCrilly

What type of GAP policy is it exactly?

There are four types.

Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - RT

In repairing your car, your insurer will put you back in the same position before the accident - that's as it should be - trying to achieve a "better off" situation than deserved is one of the reasons premiums are as high as they are.

Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - Manatee

He's not screwing money out of the car insurer, he's looking to the GAP for which he has paid the premium.

But whether it pays out could depend, as Ted says...often if linked to a loan or HP it pays out the shortfall of any payout to the settlement figure, which might be less than the payout anyway (ignoring the fact that he has paid it off). Or it might be 'return to invoice' or 'replacment cost'.

Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - RT

He's not screwing money out of the car insurer, he's looking to the GAP for which he has paid the premium.

But whether it pays out could depend, as Ted says...often if linked to a loan or HP it pays out the shortfall of any payout to the settlement figure, which might be less than the payout anyway (ignoring the fact that he has paid it off). Or it might be 'return to invoice' or 'replacment cost'.

GAP is provided by an insurer who charges a premium for the service - paying a premium doesn't given policy-holders any justification in seeking betterment.

Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - Manatee

GAP is designed to provide betterment, if it is ot the settlement-to-loan or return-to-invoice type.

The motor insurance part should put the claimant back where he was. GAP is over and above - that's what it's for.

Ford Focus - Insurance repair over writing off - GAP insurance - TedCrilly

Not quite.

The majority of GAP policies are designed to cover outstanding finance only. If your car is written off with a market value of say £3k but you owe £4k on it. The finance company gets the £1k difference.

There are variations, ie return to market value, return to invoice price, and even new for old replacement but policies of this nature are far from cheap!!

The O/P needs to clarify what type of GAP policy he has before any relevant comments can be made.