Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - Serial Car Changer
I've seen on Autotrader a blue TT cab with everything I've been looking for since I sold my BMW 1 Series cab recently. It's listed as a read sale but I've messaged the seller who is actually 'selling on behalf of a retired family member'.
Am I being too cautious in thinking this sounds dodgy? The docs wont be in his name but I could check against the VIN. The MOT history looks ok.
I'm Obv a novice at this as I've never bought privately before so what's your advice? Steer clear? Have a look,(it's a long way from me), pay for some sort of check? I don't have a car savvy person to take with me so I'm relying on your advice if I do travel to the car. I'm also not tech enough to link the car on here sorry but there aren't many blue ones on Autotrader and the sellers trader initials are CC.
Thanks in advance!!
Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - SLO76
While it's possible the sellers story is true it's more likely that it isn't. Almost every motor I've viewed that's apparently on sale on behalf of dad, mum, ex wife or a friend turns out to be a fly guy trader and one case the car was stolen.

First questions you ask.

How long have you owned it? If less than two years invariably it's been a bad motor.

Is it registered to you at your address? If not then why? If it's a relative then you want to view it at that address. The documents must match the sellers address. If not then walk.

Be blunt, ask them if they're a trader if there's doubt from the first questions. Ask them if the full V5 is present including the yellow trade section. If it's missing then yes they're a dealer.

You need to HPI it and the HPI guarantee only works if you use both the reg no and vin no plus if you bought the car privately the address again has to match or they won't pay out.

90% of cars I view in so called private sales both with the intention of buying to resell myself or on behalf of a customer, friend or family member have major faults or a dodgy trade seller who's pretending to be a private punter to avoid his legal obligations and the car itself will have been bought cheaply at auction no doubt with faults masked over or a cheap paint repair.

If you don't have the knowledge or have someone who does that can come with you then don't do it. This is even more important on complex and costly to repair cars such as the Audi TT.

Post the link to the advert if you can. It's often quite revealing...

Oh, and finally. Don't obsess about colour when buying used, it's the least of your worries. Buy on condition, history and mileage above all else.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/06/2017 at 14:14

Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - skidpan

it's a long way from me

Never travel far to look at a used car. There is always a similar (or better) one close to home. Any issues are far easier to deal with face to face after purcahse than over the phone.

Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - Wee Willie Winkie

Is it this one? www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170315331...3

If so the dealer has a 'varied' stock...

m.carandclassic.co.uk/user/ccts2015/

Is he trying to say it's a private sale as he's selling for a family member? If so then he shouldn't be using his business to facilitate the sale.

Edited by DieselBoy on 01/06/2017 at 16:47

Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - SLO76
Just noticed it was a 2.0 TDi. These are murder for DPF issues. Friend had one from new that was a royal pain in the ass despite his usage on the whole suiting a DPF equipped diesel. If you want one the 2.0 petrol is the boy.
Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - Serial Car Changer

Is it this one? www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170315331...3

If so the dealer has a 'varied' stock...

m.carandclassic.co.uk/user/ccts2015/

Is he trying to say it's a private sale as he's selling for a family member? If so then he shouldn't be using his business to facilitate the sale.

Yes diesel boy, that's the one. Thanks for your investigations! Def seems dodgy...
Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - jgrahampo

I live in SW Scotland (not remote but rural) one would have to be prepared to travel to purchase a car privately

Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - glidermania

Yes it was an unfounded comment never travel to view a used car. What poppycock.

Great advice from you all as usual. My gut instinct was that it's dodgy and sounds like you all agree. I'm trying to find an eye catching one that's not a thirsty b***** and and has the satnav and other toys. Yes I know this and the colour shouldn't be important but I've always gone for head turners and am far too old to change now!
Sounds like another BM may be a better choice. Petrol to avoid DPF issues. I had a TT Roadster back in the day and have always hankered after another and as the diesels are newer I thought they may be the better bet. But this site is awesome for getting advice so thanks again.
Audi TT TDi - Private seller posing as trader; risky to a buyer? - oldroverboy.

Yes it was an unfounded comment never travel to view a used car. What poppycock.

Not always.. Sometimes it can be useful to travel, ( I have done it frequently) but I have always bought nearly new (up to 1 year) with a manufacturers warranty. But 6 years + from a far away dealer in case of problems, no thank you. Used car warranties on older cars are useless, and never forget. It is your responsibility to get the car back to the dealer for any "consumer rights"

So a "dodgy dealer" or a car with a "story" would be off my radar..