N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - RaineMan

I got a new battery with a five year guarantee today. When filling in the receipt I was asked my car's mileage. In response I queried the relevance and was guided to the Terms and Conditions of the Warranty. Apparently if the car does less than 2,000 miles per annum the guarantee is invalidated. In some ways it makes sense as a classic left standing and taken out a few times a year is quite demanding on the battery. Similarly a car that only does a short supermarket trip every week.

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - elekie&a/c doctor
Would that be a battery from the RAC ?
N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - Wackyracer

You can't blame them really, it only takes a few complete discharges to kill a battery.

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - SLO76
Fair enough that.
N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - kiss (keep it simple)

In that situation I would buy a cheap battery and give it a monthly trickle charge. If you use it only occasionally it's not going to have to do that many starts so it will probably last a very long time.

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - John F

I don't spanner tighten the positive terminal clasp on my 1980 TR7, I just push/twist it on each time I use it and take it off while not in use. I am astonished to see from my records the battery was bought in Apr 07. Clearly this practice not only ensures long battery life but also probably helps to combat corrosion as there are no tiny corrosive microcurrents along the wires and body.

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - FoxyJukebox

If you are only doing 2000 miles a year--it'll be more than just a dead battery that will give trouble.

Really? such as what?

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - FoxyJukebox

Avants reply answers your question-I think. I have a neighbour who has a 3 year old car that only goes down a short hill for half a mile to the shops( & back) --and it's now a right mess--and a new battery has in no way solved his issues

If he had taken it out for a darn good 60 minute run once a fortnight--I bet he wouldn't be in the trouble he is at the moment .

I have a car that does no more than 2000miles per year (most years) and have no issue at all.

It's not the low annual mileage that is the problem, its the type of use and/or lack of maintenance to suit the use.

Edited by Wackyracer on 13/05/2017 at 21:56

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - JEREMYH

No I have an old Saab doing that an I never have trouble as long as you run it once a week I dont even get battery trouble

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - Avant

If 2,000 miles a year means long trips every weekend or so, all well and good. But if it means just going to the shops, that's the worst possible use for a car.

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - Stanb Sevento

I have this problem with my motorcycle, parked up for months over the winter, its a common problem. If the car is garaged with a handy power supply then an Optimate or similar will keep the battery in top condition indefinatly. They are clever things that come on periodicaly to check and top up if required and every now and again slightly discharge and recharge, all designed to keep battery in optimum condition. No need to disturb the battery terminals, just hook it up and leave it, Ive been using one for many years. The more expensive versions will do higher capacity car batteries.

www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/optimate-6

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - RaineMan

I had the battery on one classic last over ten years. When not showing it was taken out for a decent run every? two or so weeks. Short journeys were always avoided as a large cast iorn engine with a gallon of 20/50 and three of coolant barely gets warm going to the shops. Anyway the door denters lurk there!

Edited by RaineMan on 15/05/2017 at 14:07

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - skidpan

My Caterham had a new battery in March 2009, just over 8 years ago, it had 22563 miles on the clock. Battery is still fine (fingers crossed) and the car has now done 34447 miles. That is about 1500 miles a year. The car is fitted with a Denso alternator off a 1988 Daihatsu Charade GTTI and I use a trickle charger regularly when the car is not being used. I always take the battery off the car in winter and store it indoors.

For the record the battery is an Exide Premium and it is the longest lasting by far. Previous best was a Hoppekke which lasted 5 years.

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - SteVee

My wife's Clio only does short runs - its Varta battery was installed 8 years ago and has never been on a charger. the battery cost £48 - the whole car is probably worth that now.

The battery on my Primera is about 8 years ago. The Primera doesn't do any short trips, but may sit on the drive for 2 -3 weeks at a time. I try to charge the battery before starting - but it hasn't failed yet to start the car if I forget. It's the brakes that suffer most from sitting outside and not being used (and mice under the bonnet).
That battery was about £50 - I'd probably need to pay someone that much to take the Primera away now !

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - skidpan

My Caterham had a new battery in March 2009, just over 8 years ago, it had 22563 miles on the clock. Battery is still fine (fingers crossed) and the car has now done 34447 miles. That is about 1500 miles a year. The car is fitted with a Denso alternator off a 1988 Daihatsu Charade GTTI and I use a trickle charger regularly when the car is not being used. I always take the battery off the car in winter and store it indoors.

For the record the battery is an Exide Premium and it is the longest lasting by far. Previous best was a Hoppekke which lasted 5 years.

Well it had to happen after posting the above last month. Took car for MOT on Saturday, all fine and passed. Got car out yesterday to go a drive and after turning over slowly for a couple of seconds totally dead. Voltage was still 12.5 after the first attempt but on turning the key the voltmeter dropped to 8.5 volts indicating a cell failure.

Time for a new one after about 8 1/2 years.

Looked on the internet, An Exide like I had fitted was £83 from Euro Car Spares but they were closed Sunday. Another local factor wanted £88 for one. Halfords wanted £85 for a slightly more powerful Yuasa with a 5 year warranty so though I would go and get one. On the way to Halfords dropped into the local factors with no real hope of getting a better deal. Came out with an identical Yuasa to the Halfords one with a 5 year warranty for £57 after the £6 allowance for the old battery. No mention of mileage or use pattern, just a "keep your receipt for the warranty".

Bolted it on, started engine and went for a drive. Happy days ahead I hope.

N/A - Battery Warning - Classics And Low Mileage Drivers - John F

Any advance on 10+ years for my 1980 TR7's puny Bosch 38aH 300CA? My records show I renewed its battery in 1984, 1991, 1996, 2002, and 2007. I started to disconnect it after each outing in the mid 90's when I 'semi-retired' the car, now doing only a few hundred miles a year. I think this practice is essential for battery longevity for 'classic' car users.

I know little about battery development but they seem much better since around 2000. The one in our X reg Focus is also over ten years old, replaced in 2006. Thankfully it started immediately recently after nearly three weeks at Heathrow!