VW - Fashion led reversing lights - catsdad
I've today come across a new (to me at least) stupid fashion. In broad daylight a large blinged-up VW van thing started quickly reversing out of a parking space towards me as I was moving forward out of a space in the next row. I had no warning of his backing but was able to avoid contact by reversing sharpish back into my space. Phew, no contact. I might say my DLRs are embarrassingly bright so I guess he wasn't looking properly.
I say "no warning" but I then noticed two short strips of white LEDs on the van rear. These were very dim with only about 5 light "cells" in each. I assume these were retro fit and the originals had been removed. Useless as a warning to others and no good to light the driver's way when reversing at night.
I assume it will fail at MOT.
Just another thing to add to the list of form over function features?
VW - Fashion led reversing lights - RichardW

Reversing lights not part of MOT (as long as they don't come on at any other time)

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - gordonbennet

These extremely white lights when retro 'fitted' to an old vehicle look crass, i especially love the silly leds stuffed into number plate holders designed to take a small capless 5w bulb or two, they stick out way past the bulb shield/reflector so two silly bright pin pricks of white light show to the rear making the number plate all but unreadable (possibly the intention) but providing as a good reason as any for the country's last living traffic officer to pull them up at peak drinky poos time.

Have seen a number of old Defenders sporting ill placed DRL's in ultra white light where all the other lights are dull white, it looks especially bad on such a vehicle, if a Defender can't be seen either someone needs specsavers or it's time for dipped headlights.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2017 at 18:57

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - Bolt

These extremely white lights when retro 'fitted' to an old vehicle look crass, i especially love the silly leds stuffed into number plate holders designed to take a small capless 5w bulb or two, they stick out way past the bulb shield/reflector so two silly bright pin pricks of white light show to the rear making the number plate all but unreadable (possibly the intention) but providing as a good reason as any for the country's last living traffic officer to pull them up at peak drinky poos time.

Have seen a number of old Defenders sporting ill placed DRL's in ultra white light where all the other lights are dull white, it looks especially bad on such a vehicle, if a Defender can't be seen either someone needs specsavers or it's time for dipped headlights.

It seems incandescent bulbs may make a comeback, as they have found a way to make them more efficient and brighter than leds and halogen bulbs, if they do they should also be cheaper to buy according to a report I read,so lights will get brighter in future and last longer.

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - Smileyman

it is about time legislation did include reversing lights ... and also require two on every vehicle, one left and one right, or if just the one then in the dead centre of the rear ... and similar legislation for rear fog lamps too

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - bathtub tom

I disagree about twin rear fog lamps, too easily confused with brake lights.

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - brum

So what? Brake lights are triple anyway. A single fog light is on the wrong side if you drive abroad, so I presume theoretically British cars are illegal in europe or at least cant use their fog lights there.

I got pulled over many years ago for having a headlamp out, police said it looked like a motorcycle from a distance so could cause an accident.

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - Smileyman

Stop lights are differenth,, fhey have a centre repeater that is actually easier to sedue to position on vehicle.. That also tend to come on and off unlike fog lamps that are on and remain on. IMO only an inattentive driver would mix them up, and even they would quickly realise and tell the difference.

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - gordonbennet

I'm trying to remember the last time i needed to use rear fog lights, nope can't, safe to say i've used them about twice in the years i've had cars or lorries with them fitted.

However they are overused by an annoyingly high minority of people who flick them at the first sign of a mild mist reducing visibilty to around half a mile.

I would rather these people didn't use the things at all than use them inappropriately, but much worse when there are two rear fogs, plus the rear fogs tend to be brighter than stop lights on many cars, presumably because the brakes being in constant use with modern drivers the reflectors in stop lights are often burned off, and agree with BT, you don't notice brake lights so much when fogs are in use.

As for centre brake lights, lots of cars and vans still don't have them, and almost all lorries don't have them, which wouldn't matter but the modern lorry driver is just a likely to stick fogs on for no useful reason as anyone else.

The light wars have reached a crescendo already we don't need any more superfluous lights at all.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/05/2017 at 20:08

VW - Fashion led reversing lights - hillman

My driveway was of quite adequate width when the house was constructed. Cars have increased in width markedly in recent years and so I need good reversing lights to see the low wall (9 inch) on one side. The car has a fashion statement reversing light and a matching shape rear fog light mounted too high on the back of the car. I have fitted two aftermarket reversing lights under the car. I have an automatic gearbox so I have fitted a timer (3 secs.) to stop them lighting up when I move the gear lever through Reverse.