sanef tags - reading through heated screens - concrete

Just been onto the Sanef site for my autoroute tag, so I can use the tag lanes at the peage. The website now lists Volvo XC60 and XC90 as vehicles that may have difficulty using the tag. This is apparently because the metal elements in the heated front screens act as a shield. In other vehicles with this feature the tag is placed directly on the screen at a point in front of the rear view mirror. There are no heating elements here apparently so the tag can be read by the overhead sensors. On Volvos this area is covered by a large plastic housing for the rain, lights and pedestrian avoidance systems and the rear view mirror. The heating elements seem to be just visible right up and around this area. Avant has a new Volvo too and may have experienced this problem. Also I would hope that some forum members have also experienced this particular problem and how it is overcome. Your comments are eagerly awaited gentlemen. Cheers Concrete

sanef tags - reading through heated screens - Manatee

Sunroof?

Sunroof?

Hate the b***** things. Would not have one given. Just have to have SWMBO waving out of the car window. Give her something to look forward to!!

Cheers Concrete

sanef tags - reading through heated screens - Brit_in_Germany

Any chance of putting it under the housing?

sanef tags - reading through heated screens - Avant

I haven't been to France yet in the V60. But thanks for the tip: if it's a problem we could take SWMBO's Audi A1 which hasn't got a heated windscreen. It'll also be more fun to drive and will use less fuel despite being a petrol.

Under the housing might be the only answer if the elements cover the whole screen (but is there room under there?). I'll check for where the elements are on the next sunny day: I couldn't see them today as it was cloudy.

I haven't been to France yet in the V60. But thanks for the tip: if it's a problem we could take SWMBO's Audi A1 which hasn't got a heated windscreen. It'll also be more fun to drive and will use less fuel despite being a petrol.

Under the housing might be the only answer if the elements cover the whole screen (but is there room under there?). I'll check for where the elements are on the next sunny day: I couldn't see them today as it was cloudy.

Hello Avant, speaking last night to a bloke in the pub about this subject. He placed his tag onto the plastic housing and it seemed to work for him. He didn't try the 30kmph barrier just in case. Will give it a go and if it proves troublesome we will just have to wave it from the window. We do tend to use the N and D roads quite a lot. Not very busy and you see a lot more of France that way. If you are not in a hurry that is. The peage is useful for by passing the likes of Dijon and Lyon etc. I shall report on this when I return in late July.

Cheers Concrete

sanef tags - reading through heated screens - jc2

Used one in several Fords with heated screens-I have put them in the darkened patch as shown in the instructions and they have always worked perfectly.The N & D roads are excellent until you get stuck behind a tractor for miles!

sanef tags - reading through heated screens - Soldrax

I have stuck mine in the tinted area adjacent to the plastic housing - this was after heading advice on a volvo forum. Works fine. (XC90 2010)

sanef tags - reading through heated screens - Avant

The shaded / tinted area is where they go, if there is one. There isn't one in either of our cars, although the A1 would be fine as it hasn't got a heated screen.

Thanks Soldrax, the heating elements do go right up to the plastic housing so I was sceptical about it working next to the housing. The usual shaded area behind the mirror is covered by the housing. I will have to go on trial and error. jc2 I appreciate your comments. I have driven in France extensively and use the N and D roads a lot. Less so with the caravan though. There are certain towns and cities where I join the autoroute to by pass them. But I do like the other roads with the charming towns and villages and plently of nice areas to pull in and have a coffee. Cheers Concrete