VW Passat 2003 TDi Saloon manual - Air bag light light is permanently on - MJJ

Air bag light light is permanently on. I took it to a dealer who said that the Gateway behind the dash is faulty Gateway 3B0920929AX would have to be sourced from Germany net cost £359,14 plus vat plus fitting about £800. My indepentant Garage said that he could take the light off with his diognostic Computer but this would last about 5 months,but enough to passs the mot. Is there a cheaper way to sort out this problem?

Any help would be really great

Thanks

VW Passat 2003 TDi Saloon manual - Air bag light light is permanently on - elekie&a/c doctor

The gateway is part of the instrument cluster.Replacing this means the new unit will need to be coded to the car as it holds all the car security info.These rarely fail,so a bit surprised that the dealer wants to replace it.Perhaps get a second opinion and find out if your indy can delete the fault as a stop-gap repair.The only alternative would be a s/h cluster,but will need to be "married" to the car.

VW Passat 2003 TDi Saloon manual - Air bag light light is permanently on - bathtub tom

IME most of these problems involve the connections under the front seats.

I'd suggest it could do you you no harm in to unplug the connectors and re-connect them a few times. It may take a while for the warning light to extinguish, but this may be due to the number of times the ignition is turned off and on.

You could buy a cheap ebay OBD port connector to speed up the process to extinguish the warning lamp.

Don't ignore elekie&a/c doctor advice!