Focus 1.6 zetec auto - 2006 Ford Focus Not Always Start(?) - double_tap_that

Difficult one this to put it in basic terms but 70% time the car will start first time, that said the rest of the 30% it wont.

What i get is when you turn the ignition nothing happens, you can hear the fuel pump and all the lights come on as expected on start up but the immobilizer stops the car from starting.

If i take out the key, open close/lock unlock the doors and try again it will turn over and start on the button.

I have tried both keys and it happens on either of them so its not a key fault.

Being an auto, i was told by ford garage it could be a dodgy car battery/alternator or starter motor.

Has anyonr else experianced the same issue as me?

To confirm its a Focus 1.6 zetec automatic 2006 model.

And its only done 87k miles.

Any ideas or anything to help me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Focus 1.6 zetec auto - 2006 Ford Focus Not Always Start(?) - elekie&a/c doctor

When it does not start,does the immobilser light flash and is there a warning in the centre of the instrument pod that says engine fault and also the auto shift indicator does not display correctly.?

Focus 1.6 zetec auto - 2006 Ford Focus Not Always Start(?) - double_tap_that

The only light that comes on is the upper centre middle light on the dash, small circle light.

When i turn and it wont start this little light then flashes quickly, when i disengage ignition it then blinks normally(?)

No other warning lights or sounds are present.

After say 8-10 attempts it then at a touch of a key start up with no problems, and no warning lights/blinking lights etc

Thanks

Gary

Ps also on the dashboard the "P" is clearly marked if thats what you mean.

Edited by double_tap_that on 15/04/2017 at 10:22

Focus 1.6 zetec auto - 2006 Ford Focus Not Always Start(?) - elekie&a/c doctor

I am fairly sure this will be an instrument pod fault.Very common on this age Focus.When the fault occurs,thump the top of the dashboard ,just above the dash pod ,to see if this restores the start function.The immobiliser runs through the dash pod.If this is the situation with your car ,then the pod will need repairing.A new unit will cost in excess of £600.

 

Ask Honest John

Value my car