Vauxhall Corsa D - Brakes grinding when hot - WT54

As a lifelong worrier, I have naturally been worried about the forthcoming MoT on my Corsa D 1.4SE auto. The brakes have started making a grinding noise once they have warmed up in stop/ start traffic. There looks to be plenty of life in the pads. The discs and pads were replaced by the dealer prior to the MoT in March last year, and I have done 14,000 miles since, mostly a mix of town and motorway driving. I'm not hard on the brakes, but they make a horrible noise once warmed up.

Click the links for photos of the discs, which are not shiny.

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/David5032/IMG_0081_...g

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/David5032/IMG_0080_...g

Please can anyone advise what could be making the noise? Thanks!

Edited by WT54 on 27/03/2017 at 17:40

Vauxhall Corsa D - Brakes grinding when hot - elekie&a/c doctor

Can't "see" any real problems.Looks like the brakes are wearing very nicely.Are these genuine brake parts ?Maybe they need de-glazing.?Noisy brakes are not an mot fail.

Vauxhall Corsa D - Brakes grinding when hot - gordonbennet

Have you checked the pads and surfaces on the disc blind side, and have you checked the calipers piston(s) and sliders are free to allow normal operation, if all is working ok then reassemble using a little correct brake grease on the rear and edges of the pad back-plates where they are shiny (showing signs of vibration/contact) and also the pins and sliders.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/03/2017 at 20:20

Have you checked the pads and surfaces on the disc blind side, and have you checked the calipers piston(s) and sliders are free to allow normal operation, if all is working ok then reassemble using a little correct brake grease on the rear and edges of the pad back-plates where they are shiny (showing signs of vibration/contact) and also the pins and sliders.

If nothing is brought up by the MoT, I shall ask the garage to look at the brakes as they are servicing the car at the same time. I don't like to take risks with brakes and tyres, as I carry my kids and their friends in the car every day.

I wonder if it's me? When I was a coach driver, our mechanic used to moan that I built up a glaze on my brake shoes, as I used the exhaust brake and Telma to do the work. My wife reckons I drive like a pensioner!

Thanks for your help.

Edited by WT54 on 27/03/2017 at 23:00

Vauxhall Corsa D - Brakes grinding when hot - gordonbennet
I wonder if it's me? When I was a coach driver, our mechanic used to moan that I built up a glaze on my brake shoes, as I used the exhaust brake and Telma to do the work. My wife reckons I drive like a pensioner!

That's a vocational professional at work keeping the brakes cool at all times and utilising auxilliary braking to the max and providing a smooth steady drive, well done, you don't see vehicles being driven like that these days where the new normal is to drive on the brakes, and the results can be seen every day on the road.

That's a vocational professional at work keeping the brakes cool at all times and utilising auxilliary braking to the max and providing a smooth steady drive, well done, you don't see vehicles being driven like that these days where the new normal is to drive on the brakes, and the results can be seen every day on the road.

Thank you, most kind. Today's drivers would be put off by a six-speed cable change with a splitter gearbox, let alone two auxilliary braking systems. Definitely a 'one man motor' though.

Can't "see" any real problems.Looks like the brakes are wearing very nicely.Are these genuine brake parts ?Maybe they need de-glazing.?Noisy brakes are not an mot fail.

I suspect that the dealer used the cheapest parts they could find, as the car needed a few things for the MoT, as shown on the VOSA MoT history page. The car stops as it should, and they are not binding.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by WT54 on 27/03/2017 at 23:00