Can you check if you have been caught speeding - thirts

My wife, who has a clean driving licence for 32 years, has this week received two speeding tickets in the post - The same stretch of road- once going there and once coming back the following day. The route was about 30/40 miles and she admits she must have been careless as the speed limits varied between 30,40 and 50

She is now worried sick that there are others in the pipeline because if there is she may be facing a ban - is there any way of checking so as to either give piece of mind or at least facing the consequences.

(please note I have also posted this in the Legal Forum as I wasn't sure where is should sit)

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - mss1tw
Is there a driver awareness course option?
Is there a driver awareness course option?

Yes, but that only counts for one of teh offenses - it was an unfamilier road and she has no idea what will come in the post and is worried sick.

It was an unfamilier road and she accepts she was careless but as she didn't ever know she had been speeding twice she doesn't know how many more are in the pipline for these two journeys

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - bazza

Think there's a statutory obligation to post it to you within 13 days. Provided you were within certain speeds, it will be an awareness course for ticket number 1 but 3 points and a fine for number 2. It's not the end of the world but bad luck and doubt she'll let it happen again!

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - scot22

Let's hope it is 'just' the two. On a positive note I did a speed awareness course about 6 months ago and it was very worthwhile. The ethos was to improve our driving standards. No matter how good someone may be there is usually room for improvement.

Nothing to do but wait and as bazza says 'doubt she'll let it happen again' I know I don't intend to ! (positive reasons not fear of punishment)

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Smileyman

I must admit this is a worrysome subject, I don't regard speed as the be all and end all of safe driving, nonethless I've just visited North Wales (live in Kent) and whilst it's highly unlikely I've any post to come, with the proliferation of cameras and other systems giving so much attention to top down control it's impossible to journey anywhere without being at risk of an automated fine being generated.

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - RobJP

I must admit this is a worrysome subject, I don't regard speed as the be all and end all of safe driving, nonethless I've just visited North Wales (live in Kent) and whilst it's highly unlikely I've any post to come, with the proliferation of cameras and other systems giving so much attention to top down control it's impossible to journey anywhere without being at risk of an automated fine being generated.

Absolute codswallop.

I drive about 12k personal miles a year in my own car, and another 20-25k business miles in a variety of 'pool cars'. I've done 30k+ miles a year, every year, since about 1993 - the highest business mileage I did in one year was 54k in 1999 - add my personal mileage onto that too.

The last speeding ticket I got was for doing 74 in a 60 limit - in 2001. The offence was about 5 miles from home (see below)

In the 16 years since then I've covered somewhere around 600,000 miles. With no speeding tickets or any other driving offences recorded.

I live in North Wales - one of the notorious speed camera areas. My work mileage takes me as far as Yeovil in the SW, Worthing in the SE, Lincoln in the East, and as far North as Aberdeen.

To claim that it's 'impossible' to travel without the risk of a speeding (or other) offence being committed is to abrogate your own responsibilities.

Now, I don't claim to not speed at all, or that I'm perfect in any way. But I don't use camera detectors (even though they are legal now, I've never used them). I just try to pay attention as possible to my driving.

I know of someone who picked up a ticket for doing 44 in a 30 (and yes, it should be a 30, it's been a 30 limit zone since the 80s at least). If anyone wants to look it up, it's Ruthin Road in Denbigh, the stretch that runs past the High School and leisure centre, with a primary school on the other side of the road. He got his 3 points.

Eight weeks later, he got done again, by a camera in the same spot - doing 42. Another 3 points.

So last week, I'm a passenger with him, and we're going along that stretch - I look over, and he's doing 40+ again. "Hey, slow down", I say, "you've already got 6 points on this stretch of road". "Yeah, my speed just seems to drift up" he replies. My reply "What, your car speeds up on an uphill road without you pressing the pedal ?"

No reply to that one, is there ...

Edited by RobJP on 25/03/2017 at 22:55

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Smileyman

Dartford Crossing - average speed cameras with limits that change (assuming the traffic is not stationary)

M25 - Various sections - variable speed limits and smart motorway roadside cameras which are now painted yellow

M1 - variable speed limits, smart motorway roadside cameras which are now painted yellow and average speed limits on extended sections of roadworks

M6 - copy M1

Various roads in North Wales - roadside cameras

As the others have said, it only takes a change of limit, or a moment's attention elsewhere, and the computer / camera will send a prize in the post ... points and fine

now whilst I agree it is possible to avoid getting caught, it is not impossible to avoid the risk, with so many devices about the risk is all around

On the motorways careful use of cruise control is a good aid to compliance ... on other roads this is not a safe way to drive, cars with speed limiters helps at times ... if the limit does not change too often

This is before considering bus lane and other camera systems ....

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Andrew-T

Part of the trouble nowadays is the continual appearance of new stretches of speed limit, usually 40 or 50. People who have driven for many years and are very familiar with certain roads but may not drive them that often, can be taken by surprise or not notice the change. It is also easy to forget whether one is in 30, 40 or 50 when it changes every half-mile or so.

Usually the limit is fairly reasonable for each stretch of road, it's just the frequent changes that may cause problems.

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Bilboman

Frequent changes indeed cause problems, but there is the added sneakiness of the "default" speed limit dropping to 30 on a road with street lighting if the existing 40 signs are removed. A careful driver familiar with the stretch of road in question and familiar with the 40 limit which may have been in place for years may well get caught by a new speed limit put in place literally overnight and with no warning sign of a new, suddenly necessary 30 limit.
The latest technology of speed limit sign detection software would obviously not pick up a non-existent 30 sign and during daylight hours only the most alert of drivers would notice both street lights overhead and sudden lack of speed limit signage. And a lot of those 40 signs are actually quite small to begin with...
It's not really cricket, is it?

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - gordonbennet

It might be worth investing in a sat nav or other device (app?) that displays the speed limit of the road in larger than normal digits, ideally without having to enter a destiination, obviously any product that takes your interest should have free updates.

The sat nav (or whatever you consider) should give audible speed camera alerts, incl likely mobile sites, again without having a route entered, simply by utilising the map, a decent one will also warn of traffic and may well have a traffic search function, that traffic info is worth the expense alone.

I've seen a link on a forum (can't remember which one) to a small, say 1" display, digital GPS linked speed display alone, poor man's heads up display, which in the pic i saw sat neatly and unobtrusively on top of the dash slightly to one side of the straight ahead view, it didn't do anything else as i recall other than display true speed but being GPS it was accurate, and the same cannot be said for most car speedometers.

Average speed sections are the ones who IMO catch so many out now, the number of people on average sections who go belting along and then slow up sharply at each camera site is amazing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/03/2017 at 09:51

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - merlin

I wonder if they know the meaning of the word "average"? Does everyone leaving school these days know what an average is? What about all the immigrants?

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - RT

I wonder if they know the meaning of the word "average"? Does everyone leaving school these days know what an average is? What about all the immigrants?

Which "average" - there's arithmetic, median, goemetric median, mode, geometric mean, harmonic mean, quadratic mean, cubic mean, generalised mean, weighted mean, truncated mean, interquartile mean, midrange and winsorized mean - and then there's all the miscellaneous types!

.... it didn't do anything else as i recall other than display true speed but being GPS it was accurate, and the same cannot be said for most car speedometers.

While most car speedometers may not be 'accurate' - in the sense of showing the true speed (they are intended to over-read) - they are probably consistent. Those drivers who stick rigidly to an apparent 27mph may be relying on a displayed 30. Readings from a moving GPS may read closer to the true speed, but are probably less consistent, in the sense that the display will fluctuate more.

If one has the inclination and a bit of time, one can use the measured kilometres on a motorway (yes, I know the markers move about a bit) to calibrate one's speedo to find out just how much it over-reads.

Peugeots with mechanical odometers always over-read distance by several percent, but digital ones seem to be much more 'accurate'. I used to wonder whether that was due to a clumsy conversion from Km to miles ......

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Cris_on_the_gas

Part of the trouble nowadays is the continual appearance of new stretches of speed limit, usually 40 or 50. People who have driven for many years and are very familiar with certain roads but may not drive them that often, can be taken by surprise or not notice the change. It is also easy to forget whether one is in 30, 40 or 50 when it changes every half-mile or so.

Usually the limit is fairly reasonable for each stretch of road, it's just the frequent changes that may cause problems.

Drive on what you can see not what you know

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Stanb Sevento

I feel for your wife thirts, its a horrible position to be in and the stress and worry takes over your life. If I can offer any hope its that she is unlikley to be banned even with 12 points, there are thousands of people like her picking up multiple tickets in a single day and dont get banned. Some have a lot more than 12 points. You need advice but I think if the worst happens then you need to go to court in person rather than pay the fixed penalty. Expect a hit on your car insuranse.

If your a habitual speeder like I was its hard to stop, I mean really hard. Its burned into your brain what a normal speed is and going slower just feels rediculus. My last ticket was entering a village from a 60 limit into a 30, lifted off the gas to slow down but was clocked at 38 about 50m into the 30 zone. I was angry with myself and the police the way they hid behind trees so they were not visable till you had passed them. However this prompted enrolling with the IAM and doing their test. When the observer is constantly asking ,What speed limit are you in? or What was the last road sign you passed? it sharbens the mind.

PS Do the AA and RAC give advice on these things?

Edited by Stanb Sevento on 26/03/2017 at 10:38

Further to my earlier post, had a quick browse on the usual site, GPS stand alone speed displays are now cheap, this ones Chinese (arn't they all?) but for less than £20 inc postage it might be a solution for your wife OP though obviously it won't know the current speed limit in force as its isn't a sat nav, also has cheap heads up capabilty via the reflective screen film supplied, the power cable is usb apparently.

ebay number

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Steveieb
Last time I thought I had been caught by a mobile speed van , I decided that I couldn't stand the stress of waiting for the brown envelope so I drove back to the van and walked up to the van and asked the question. The camera man just pointed to the direction of the camera and said Make up your mind.I instantly knew I was ok.

I have just contacted the various Police forces that my wife routes transferred, and it appears (touch wood) that the two she recived on the only ones.

However it did make me think about the law and speeding camers and I fel the present system is a bit unfair.

If she would have comited several offences on a a motorway covered by average speed camers it would be considered one offence. However do this on a rural road and pass two or three cameras in excess of the spped limit and suddenly your facing multiple tickets - this doesn't seem fair.

I am not opposed to speed cameras but this incident has made me re-think how fair they are. The people who know the roads break and acelerate between them, those unfamilier can get cought out. As I said in my first post, both me and my wife are not habitual speeders, this is a first offence in 30 years for either of us, but my wife could possible lost her licence on this stretch of road

Edited by thirts on 27/03/2017 at 16:10

I am not opposed to speed cameras but this incident has made me re-think how fair they are. The people who know the roads break and acelerate between them, those unfamilier can get caught out.

I sympathise with your objection to a single offence on a M'way but several on an A-road, but I can't accept that it is 'unfair' for those who don't know a road so are unable to 'cheat'. It's almost like saying that those who have driven a route for 30 years or more, but only every few months, can be caught out by a new 40-mph limit hidden round a familiar bend.

Unfortunately it's a matter of keeping a good lookout, and remembering what speed one might be caught for, all the time.

I sympathise with your objection to a single offence on a M'way but several on an A-road, but I can't accept that it is 'unfair' for those who don't know a road so are unable to 'cheat'. I

I would go so far as 'unable to cheat' - my wife accepts she was in the wrong and careless, and if she would have been paying attention to the speed limits, she would not have sped for the whole journey.

However she did (her mistake), but it seems that the penalty is potentail far harsher on a stretch of rural road with several camers, than on similar distance on a motorway with average speed cameras.

I sympathise with your objection to a single offence on a M'way but several on an A-road, but I can't accept that it is 'unfair' for those who don't know a road so are unable to 'cheat'. I

I would go so far as 'unable to cheat' - my wife accepts she was in the wrong and careless, and if she would have been paying attention to the speed limits, she would not have sped for the whole journey.

However she did (her mistake), but it seems that the penalty is potentail far harsher on a stretch of rural road with several camers, than on similar distance on a motorway with average speed cameras.

If it's any consolation, average speed cameras are increasingly being used on non-motorways.

I totally sympathise with your wife - I ALWAYS try to comply with all speed limits - but on the "few" occasions I've made a mistake, usually driving to the wrong speed limit, I seem to end up with "loyalty points"

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - brum

Its all about the money, always has and aways will be.

Call it a fine, a charge, tax, whatever. Highway robbery.

Maybe it is. But if hitting offenders in the wallet is the only thing that has any effect, so be it. Some drivers clearly object to being advised to restrict their speed, and complain when they get caught in the game of cops and robbers. You know the rules, so don't moan and say it's not fair.

One could argue that the potential for mishap is magnified to the nth degree on rural or other roads, when compared to a motorway where everyone is going in the same direction with a non drastic speed differential, hence why motorways are generally NSL and other roads subject to various lower limits.

Smart motorways are different, there's ots of new cameras dotted about, some overhead, some bolted to the side support, not average sections, so each and every driver is running the same risks if they ignore the perils their insurance premiums and ultimately their licences are in.

A huge minority of drivers don't know the limit in place at any time, must go along with their eyes shut or in a parallel dimension, hence the hard braking and subsequent concertina effect behind when these people see a camera, sited often only a couple hundred yards past a 40/50 repeater sign, yet still brake heavily to around 25/30mph as they pass it, better still on wide open dual carriageways subject to NSL and yet they still brake to 40 or less for the camera, favourite for this are the two cameras on the A43 near The Green Man, Syresham/Silverstone, they come hurtling past my lorry just before the camera then stand on the brakes causing me to immediately be undertaking them (still doing about a steady 53) or have to brake to match their incompetence.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/03/2017 at 18:46

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - skidpan

The speed limits are there for a reason. If you don't like them don't drive.

To break the limit and then moan is just plain daft.

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - concrete

This situation is not beyond being improved. Irrational speed limit changes, poor engineering and signage don't help. Neither do irresponsible drivers who think the speed limit is optional. Our village is a perfect example. A 30 mph limit through the village often ignored, not just ignored but brazenly flouted. Some clown in a Range Rover the other day came through at light speed. God help anyone going about the village and crossing the road to the shops. The police and local authorities have not covered themselves with glory here. They site mobile cameras where they collect the most revenue and tell us it all about safety. They must think we are stupid. I am broadly in favour of cameras, provided they are used to full effect for safety, not for revenue. As for motorways, like everywhere else you need to concentrate, as RobJP pointed out. At least on the average speed sections traffic does flow well so it does say soemthing for the system. Cheers Concrete

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - bazza

Sums it up perfectly Concrete! Plus we are constantly told in all walks of life that Safety is the Number 1 priority etc etc, when clearly in many cases it is not. Cameras in the right place for revenue but the wrong place for safety.

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - catsdad
We do make it tricky for strangers in UK as its often not possible to identify the speed limit with certainty until you see a sign. in the few places I've driven abroad (Spain, France) there are generally only town, country and Motorway limits with maybe lower posted limits on bends. There is much less room for doubt snyway. Also in Spain you are allowed to exceed the posted limit to overtake on their version of A roads. A sensible and safe rule.

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Engineer Andy

I agree - road and signage engineering is very poor these days (too many and confusing). To me, the worst offenders aren't on motorways with the variable limits or local speed traps to cath people out for revenue-raising, but the configuration and policing of bus lanes, which, to me, is atrocious.

I'm sure many of us have got caught out (and caught) by such arrangements, especially when the bus lanes aren't continuous and signage is only just before they occur, not helped if the (car) driver is driving through an unfamiliar area. Several (including some I've been lucky with) often start just before left turns to busy shopping car parks for no reason, leaving one lane of bumper-to-bumper traffic, or just after junctions with no warning for traffic in the left hand lane at the lights, who then cause gridlock when they realise after the lights go green they're in the wrong lane and block the road trying to move over.

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Big John

Agreed re bus lanes etc - We have visited sheffield a few times recently (son at uni) and the combo of major roadworks, trams and bus lanes is a nightmare. Last time I was there I got stuck in a loop where the only way out was to drive through a bus lane - fortunately nothing in the post

Re speeding camera "tax" - usually it's a simple tax to avoid, just don't speed! However I do object to some speed camera areas with poor speed limit signeage. I remeber driving around Nottingham (I don't live here) not knowing the speed limit so I dropped to 30mph to be sure - it was only after a while I spotted 50mph repeater signs that had fallen down (rusted at the base)

Edited by Big John on 30/03/2017 at 23:14

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Stanb Sevento

Its an emotive subject this speeding business and Ive had my share of tickets, but Im a good boy now clean for the last 12 years. I run a motorbike as well as a car so you can imagin the risks. I think the cops get double bonus points for motorbikes.

Working with and having friends that are traffic engineers there are a few things Ive picked up. Its the Highway agency not the police that set speed limits, central government for motorways and trunk roads and local councils for other roads. Enforcement is the police but the locations of cameras are done jointly after looking at accident records and public complains ect. There are national guidelines that in some detail are used to determin speed limits.

Most but not all police forces use a 10% +2 rule meaning in say a 40 limit you can do 46 before you get a fixed penalty but if you are behaving like a divit they will give you a ticket for 41mph. This is to allow for overtaking and errors in calibration of equipment. I know of a force in Yorkshire and one in Wales that dont give any margin.

The question of revenue, well yes the police try to optimise revenue. One example is where there were two possible camera sites, one road had half a dozen minor bumps and the other had two more serious accidents with people injured. The police were adamant the camera went on the road with the minor bumps because it had much higher traffic flow and would raise more revenue. Speaks for itself really.

A strange one. I know of one road where its a 30 limit in one direction and a 40 in the other. Ever seen that before?

Edited by Stanb Sevento on 31/03/2017 at 11:44

Pedant alert - the ACPO guideline of 10% +2mph is the threshold where they start to prosecute - so use 45 in a 40 limit, not 46.

Edited by RT on 31/03/2017 at 12:40

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - FP

"...the ACPO guideline of 10% +2mph is the threshold where they start to prosecute..."

My understanding is that though this guideline will often be followed, prosecution could result if a speed is recorded only slightly in excess of the limit.

Prosecution is at the discretion of individual officers and police forces.

Edited by FP on 31/03/2017 at 13:11

"...the ACPO guideline of 10% +2mph is the threshold where they start to prosecute..."

My understanding is that though this guideline will often be followed, prosecution could result if a speed is recorded only slightly in excess of the limit.

Prosecution is at the discretion of individual officers and police forces.

Correct - it's only a guideline - not all police authorities use the guideline - and even those that do may decide to prosecute at 1mph over in specific circumstances.

Pedant alert - the ACPO guideline of 10% +2mph is the threshold where they start to prosecute - so use 45 in a 40 limit, not 46.

Presumably the penalty threshold is the accurate, true speed - usually several percent below the speedo reading. Hence the generous allowance of 10%. This is usually borne out by those automatic signs which indicate the speed of each approaching vehicle.

So unless your speedo is faulty - not often the case with digital ones, tho the old mechanical speedos sometimes were dodgy - you should be safe from penalty driving at an indicated 10% over the limit.

Can you check if you have been caught speeding - Theophilus
So unless your speedo is faulty - not often the case with digital ones, tho the old mechanical speedos sometimes were dodgy -

I'm not aware that digital speedometers are anymore accurate than the traditional analogue "clocks" - they just look as though they are more accurate because of the readout. There are variables such as the amount of tyre tread, etc. which render all speeedometers inaccurate.

A better indicator would be the value computed by GPS on sat-navs - just so long as one is driving in a straight line on a level road of course!

Presumably the penalty threshold is the accurate, true speed - usually several percent below the speedo reading. Hence the generous allowance of 10%. This is usually borne out by those automatic signs which indicate the speed of each approaching vehicle.

So unless your speedo is faulty - not often the case with digital ones, tho the old mechanical speedos sometimes were dodgy - you should be safe from penalty driving at an indicated 10% over the limit.

Since speedometers cannot legally under-read, there's no point in the 10% "concession" other than prevent admin overload is fines every driver each time they go out!