Skoda Fabia vs Vw polo - Mark Bartolo

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at to buy a new car for myself and I'm stuck on deciding between the skoda fabia and Volkswagen Polo both of them 1.2 tsi and have almost the same specs. The price for the fabia is €16,100 on the road and for the polo it's €15,500 on the road. I've searched a bit online and everyone rates the fabia as a better car I would like an opinion from you guys to maybe finally decide which one to choose.

Thanks

Skoda Fabia vs Vw polo - SLO76
The Polo is about to be replaced while the Fabia will remain current for at least another 5yrs. However this means there may be deals on the VW. Both are good cars but you'll take a huge loss if you sink £16k into either. Best buy nearly new and closer to £10k.
Skoda Fabia vs Vw polo - badbusdriver

Totally agree with SLO. Buying a new car is a mugs game, unless you plan to run it till it dies!. Let someone else take the huge initial depreciation hit.

Also, i wondered if there was any reason not to include the Seat Ibiza?. Under the skin, it is exactly the same as the other 2.

With regards to SLO's suggestion of nearly new, currently on ebay there is a 2016 fabia tsi (90ps) colour edition with 10 miles for £11995, a 2017 polo tsi (90ps) match with 10 miles for £12485 and a 2016 ibiza tsi (110ps) fr technology with just under 4k miles for £10990.

Of course, if you were planning to keep the car for a long time, you would probably be better going for something Japanese or Korean.........

I narrowed it down to those 2 as the Ibiza wasn't rated all the well and for the same price I opted for the others. Though I did see some news on the new Ibiza that there are some expectations that it I'll be better than the current one.

I was suggested to buy the a korean/Japanese car but I don't really like the design of the cars and the only car I liked is the new Nissan Micra but it's above my intended max amount.

I've no clue about how the used car market operates over there so can't offer a longterm view value wise but both cars are mechanically very similar so it's really down to taking a test drive then buying the car you prefer.

If it's any help I have a 2012 Polo 1.2 TDi which to date I'm very happy with and a co-worker has a 2012 Fabia 1.2 TDi Estate which again she is very happy with but driven back to back the Polo is the more refined car especially at higher speeds. Interior quality is a step up and noise insulation a level above the Skoda. However the Fabia you're talking about is a generation ahead of her car.

Problem is in Malta there isn't a whole lot of 2nd hand cars for both of them and at the moment I have an 18year old Citroen which I will be using the government's scrappage scheme in which I will get 700€ for purchasing a new car.

Skoda Fabia vs Vw polo - badbusdriver

Sorry, i did not realise you were in Malta, in fact i have only just noticed the prices you quote are in euros. Is there some strange import tax which makes some cars more than others?. I only ask, because i was very surprised to learn that the Fabia was more expensive than the polo!. Also the new micra, which i also like the look of, im pretty sure in the UK it would be cheaper than the Polo. You say you have an 18 year old Citroen, what about the new C3?, i really like the look of that too!.

Sorry, i did not realise you were in Malta, in fact i have only just noticed the prices you quote are in euros. Is there some strange import tax which makes some cars more than others?. I only ask, because i was very surprised to learn that the Fabia was more expensive than the polo!. Also the new micra, which i also like the look of, im pretty sure in the UK it would be cheaper than the Polo. You say you have an 18 year old Citroen, what about the new C3?, i really like the look of that too!.

On a normal car the charge for the registration is above 1,000 easily plus then you'll the license which increases almost double of a car that is purchased new so the money you would of saved will be paid in license fees.

Regarding the prices for both the polo and fabia. The fabia is the top spec model and the polo is only mid spec. Both cars come with 5 year Warranty Parts & Labour.

I still need to check with both nissan & citroen regarding both cars maybe I can get a quotation for them.

Remember the new Nissan Micra is just a current model Clio underneath. They shares floorpan, suspension, electronics, engines, gearboxes etc etc and is unlikely to prove as robust as Micras traditionally were. The 900cc TCe engine is still an unknown quantity longterm.

Got to say, it is a rather nice looking wee car though and is well liked by the press.