Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 Sport 2.0 TDI - engine noise and metal in - George2005neil

Hi all,

After a few 40 mins throughout Saturday, the last trip we started the car to a worrying sound.

Video of noise at youtube here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2sJ0MNXmMc

I found a 1cm by 2mm piece of metal stuck in the belt which has made a hole in it and I'm sure I can see some more metal (2cm X 2cm) on the engine floor. The sound it's making doesn't seem to be just down to the damaged belt.

It doesn't smell great with the bonnet up and and on start up there is a slight puff of smoke.

I haven't run it simce and waiting for a mechanic to come tomorrow. I'm no car expert so any advice on here appreciated?

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 Sport 2.0 TDI - engine noise and metal in - RobJP

Do not start it until the mechanic has checked it out, and you have told him (and shown him) the pieces of metal.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi A3 Sport 2.0 TDI - engine noise and metal in - George2005neil

Hi all - alternator. New one fitted and running fine again now. I had the battery changed 4 months ago, wonder if it was actually the alternator. New belt too as some of the piece had damaged it.