your own music in the car! - concrete

I hope there some technocrats out there who can help with this one. I would like to put a compilation of my favourite songs/music onto a usb stick to play in the car. I have an i phone 6 but don't really want to pay i tunes 99p per piece for music I already have on CD. Is it possible to put music onto my laptop then onto a usb stick or sd card to play through the car system.? The car will accept USB, Bluetooth, HDD etc etc. Any suggestion about how to achieve this are welcome. Cheers Concrete

your own music in the car! - Wackyracer

It's very easy, just rip your CD's to MP3's on your laptop and then copy (or move) them to the USB stick or memory card of your choice.

your own music in the car! - daveyjp
CD into PC. Use media player or itunes to convert to MP3, upload MP3 to USB stick.

I have about 150 albums on mine.
Thank you chaps. Not tried anything like this previously but sound alright to me. Where are the kids when needed? Will let you know if I get stuck. Cheers Concrete
your own music in the car! - flakk

that's exactly how I do it

your own music in the car! - Thatbwoy

Have you considered Spotify, if your car has bluetooth then you have the opportunity to do a compliation of music you like and then play it all for free.

Hello Chaps, managed to do what you advised. Put the CD into my laptop, copied the tracks I like onto i tunes then downloaded them onto my i phone. They play superbly in the car via bluetooth. Thanks. Only one problem. One CD would not copy properly at all and plays back very poorly, this is The eagles Greatest Hits. Don't know why this CD should be a problem but there we are. Will try to borrow another copy and try that or at worst buy it from i tunes.

Happy days. ready for our Continental trip with all our favourite music.

Cheers Concrete

your own music in the car! - Engineer Andy

Hello Chaps, managed to do what you advised. Put the CD into my laptop, copied the tracks I like onto i tunes then downloaded them onto my i phone. They play superbly in the car via bluetooth. Thanks. Only one problem. One CD would not copy properly at all and plays back very poorly, this is The eagles Greatest Hits. Don't know why this CD should be a problem but there we are. Will try to borrow another copy and try that or at worst buy it from i tunes.

Happy days. ready for our Continental trip with all our favourite music.

Cheers Concrete

I've had a similar problem copyings ome of my songs from CD format to mp3 then back onto a CD-RW (my car has a CD player that accepts them but no USB or SD ports - too old!) - a couple of the tracks have jumped (its the copying process, not the media or player - I checked on my HiFi and PC and the same problem persists).

Not sure if its a software glitch or hardware issues during the copying process, or in your case older CDs may have degraded a bit. You may (if not done already) try using one of the PC screen wipes to clean the CD before trying to rip it, or reduce the speed that the computer's CD/DVD/Blu-ray re-writer copies the tracks to and from the CD or DVD - some older CDs (including some of mine), including older CD-RWs, don't like the faster-spinning drives of today.

I still play my 'compliation cassettes' (decent quality rips from my CDs as the tape are the nicer Chrome type) on my car's secondary cassette player - actually the sound is quite good, and, unlike CDs, don't slide down the seat and are quite robust.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 21/05/2017 at 15:22

your own music in the car! - gordonbennet

Ah cassettes, daughter and her mate borrowed the Scooby to do a France booze run for the wedding, mate was like a puppy with two tails to see a cassette built in as well as CD player, a good time was had on the trip as well as the Scooby endearing itself with its stable point and squirt easy driving.

Reminds me, Alice Cooper's album From the Inside on CD i ordered last week hasn't arrived yet, must chase that up.

Note to Avant here but please other posters listen for yourselves, if you can find it on Youtube, and it takes a bit of finding, or elsewhere, and you think Alice Cooper was all Poison/Schools Out/Elected, then search out the track My God, from the Album Lace and Whiskey...Avant will be surprised and i hope pleased at the organ especially the introduction but play it loud.

Other surprising tracks include You and Me, I Never Wrote Those Songs, both from album Lace and Whiskey....How You Gonna See Me Now from album From the Inside.,,Stolen Prayer from album The Last Temptation

Been a fan since i was 15 and yes Alice (Vincent) is still going.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/05/2017 at 15:50

your own music in the car! - movilogo
The car will accept USB, Bluetooth, HDD

Then your life is very easy. Although life would be easier with an Android phone as you can browse file system there.

With an Android phone, you can simply copy the MP3s into the phone and then play via bluetooth or aux cable.

Otherwise just copy MP3 to USB and plug it in to the car.

your own music in the car! - Ryanfuego

CD, AUX and sometimes just ipod

your own music in the car! - DidierAubin87

It seems everyone prefers using CD, but I like USB or Bluetooth connecting to my phone more than anything, it is small and utility, you can listen to new songs everytime you want, even the classic songs

your own music in the car! - alan1302

To add something to that, there's just that distinct sound that can only come from a CD, and not from a USB-stored music.

It's all in your head - there is no difference - all 1's and 0's

your own music in the car! - Bromptonaut

You're right about it 1 and 0 but compression of a normal 75min CD to MP3 on USB will lose some fidelity.

your own music in the car! - Engineer Andy

You're right about it 1 and 0 but compression of a normal 75min CD to MP3 on USB will lose some fidelity.

Yep - I find that, at least in my car, which doesn't have the best sound-proofing, I can get away with an mp3 bit rate (higher the less compression and better quality sound) of just 128kb/s, which is supposedly about the same as most DAB radio stations (not that my older ICE has that facility - I just looked it up), though via my mini HiFi I would say that 196kb/s is the absolute minimum, though if its quiet I still can tell the difference between mp3s and CD.

Much still depends on the quality of the DAC and speakers - pointless having high quality recordings played on a low quality stereo or ICE system.

your own music in the car! - alan1302

If you get a decent MP3 and are playing it on a normal player in a car then you should not notice any difference. Most people can't tell the difference on high end equipment.

your own music in the car! - Leif
As Movilogo said, transfer your files to your iPhone 6, then attach it to your car using an aux cable (analogue) or Bluetooth. You may as well use MP3 compression, as the analogue connection won’t make use of CD quality files. Be aware that using your iPhone in your car while moving is a criminal offence, so configure it before you start driving.
your own music in the car! - daveyjp
Amazon music, spotify, apple music. etc.

Choose albums or tracks you want, download and bluetooth to the car.
your own music in the car! - James2018

If you copy your CDs to your PC using FLAC then the sound quality will be the same as the CD as it is a lossless format and some cars support that.

I use a tiny thumb drive in my car that is almost invisible when connected to the USB socket so that I can leave it in the car and scrotes wont be tempted to pinch it (I hope).

your own music in the car! - Leif
Amazon music, spotify, apple music. etc. Choose albums or tracks you want, download and bluetooth to the car.

I prefer to buy and rip CDs, but many do prefer streaming services. I find many albums I like are not onstreamkng sites. And you need an internet connection, which is not always available.

your own music in the car! - Bromptonaut
Be aware that using your iPhone in your car while moving is a criminal offence, so configure it before you start driving.

If you get caught using it handheld then that's absolutely right - £200 and 6 points. If it's in a cradle you're not using it handheld but are still potentialy at risk of a 'not in control' charge.

Be aware that using your iPhone in your car while moving is a criminal offence, so configure it before you start driving.

If you get caught using it handheld then that's absolutely right - £200 and 6 points. If it's in a cradle you're not using it handheld but are still potentialy at risk of a 'not in control' charge.

Thanks for the timely warning. My i phone actually connects itself to the car stereo via bluetooth. It synchronises itself and all i need do is push the Media button on the display and it will play any music on i tunes. The phone is generally in my pocket because there is no need to touch it. If a call comes in it cuts of the music and connects on voice activation. I assume with this that I am not breaking the law. I do not encourage calls and am asking my daughter to set it to Drive mode which automatically replies to a call or text with a pre arranged message that I am driving. Good advice though to check this out.

Cheers Concrete