Ford Mondeo Estate - Steel wheels one axle alloy other axle - S40 Man

I got my Mondeo 5 years ago and it came with steel wheels. It needed new tyres so I got some aftermarket alloys. They are cheap wolfrace 16" alloys and seem pretty soft. I have rimmed 2 sets now on potholes here in Surrey.

I still have the string wheels. I need new front tyres anyway. Can I run steel on same axle (front or back?). Apart from looking a bit odd it should be ok right?

Would you put steel's on front or back?

Ford Mondeo Estate - Steel wheels one axle alloy other axle - RT

I got my Mondeo 5 years ago and it came with steel wheels. It needed new tyres so I got some aftermarket alloys. They are cheap wolfrace 16" alloys and seem pretty soft. I have rimmed 2 sets now on potholes here in Surrey.

I still have the string wheels. I need new front tyres anyway. Can I run steel on same axle (front or back?). Apart from looking a bit odd it should be ok right?

Would you put steel's on front or back?

As long as the tyres sizes are the same, as they should be anyway, I don't see that it matters - many alloys weigh about the same as steels so no issues there and many cars used to get a full-sized steel spare, and had to use it sometimes.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Steel wheels one axle alloy other axle - RobJP

Personally, I'd go with keeping similar wheels on the same axle - so steels front, alloys on the back, or vice versa.

If the offset on the steels were slightly different to the alloys it could compromise steering otherwise - though highly unlikely.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Steel wheels one axle alloy other axle - Gordon17

That's the sort of modification that you need to tell your insurer about.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Steel wheels one axle alloy other axle - SLO76
Yup, any saving will be at least partially wiped out by the likely extra insurance premium and if you don't tell them then your policy will be null and void. It's something the police are likely to check if they pull you over and scrimping on an older car like this is liable to spike their attentions. They'll want to see what else you're scrimping on and whether your car is safe to be on the road. I'd stick 4 steel wheel with middle range tyres on and just bite the bullet cost wise, it'll be cheaper in the long run.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Steel wheels one axle alloy other axle - RaineMan

Just run the steel wheels as the odds are if you put alloys on one axle one will find a pothole sooner or later! I did used to run wider steels on the back of two cars in the late seventies/early eighties but that was quite common then. Also since we have gone from looking up the premium on a chart with seven groups vs age any modification seems to attract quite an additional premium!